Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 23, 2003
975 posts
194 upvotes
Mississauga

A quiet floor fan?

Anyone know of a quiet floor fan? Most of them use cheap motors and don't seem very quiet.

If you own a fan, please compare it to something if possible. I have seen one person say fan is quiet and another say the same fan is loud and it is really confusing. Thanks!
10 replies
Aug 13, 2011
622 posts
147 upvotes
Scarborough southwes…
I like my Vornado. Get the biggest one and run it at the lowest speed. It'll move a decent amount air and you will barely hear it.
Running on low, I don't really hear it much when it's running.
If you go to Bed Bath and Beyond, they should have some on display by now.
Turn off all the other fans and run the one you're interested in.
Also, this year, Vornado just introduced ECM fans so you use even less power.
[OP]
Jan 23, 2003
975 posts
194 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for the bed bath and beyond tip, had no idea they did that :) I may do exactly that
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9600 posts
1854 upvotes
Toronto
What about those fancy bladeless ones like the dysons?

A simple oscillating fan is ok for me.

I've found the Lasko brand to be pretty dependable.

I remember the vornado fan in my bros computer case sounded like a Maserati.
Sep 10, 2004
553 posts
100 upvotes
I have Rowenta pedestal fans for couple years. They seem to be solid and pretty quiet. You can check the reviews on CT and Amazon. It is a bit expensive but I picked them up when it was on sales at CT.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
intx wrote: Anyone know of a quiet floor fan? Most of them use cheap motors and don't seem very quiet.

If you own a fan, please compare it to something if possible. I have seen one person say fan is quiet and another say the same fan is loud and it is really confusing. Thanks!
Larger fan, means lower fan speed for the same amount of air movement, which is quieter.

Try a box fan - they're ugly, but move a lot of air, cheap, and generally quieter.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2706 upvotes
ON
Before I got AC, I got one of these fans
http://www.seabreeze.ca/fans/turboaire/turboaire.html

Works ridiculously well and because of efficient airflow is very quiet.
On max it almost feels like a leaf blower and it used the same power as a cheap/noisy box fan (and far less noise)

Little pricy, but I think it was worth it.
Downside is no oscillation, if that was something you need.

Apparently it works to cool an entire room if you point it vertical, but I never tried that.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16093 posts
4584 upvotes
Markham
check out the tower fan Costco sells
is nice and quiet
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4064 posts
2003 upvotes
aqnd wrote: Apparently it works to cool an entire room if you point it vertical, but I never tried that.
It is thermodynamically impossible to "cool" off a room in this way and it actually increases the temperature of the room because of the heat generated from the motor. You may be thinking about possibly thermal destratification of a room in which you mix the cooler air on the floor with the warmer air by the ceiling and balancing the temperature but this may be only a couple of degrees difference from the floor to the ceiling but the room will still be the same temperature and then again you're adding heat from the motor.
It may be perceived as cooler as moving air across the skin only fools your brain into thinking it's cooler but it's actually the same temperature of air.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2706 upvotes
ON
pootza wrote: It is thermodynamically impossible to "cool" off a room in this way and it actually increases the temperature of the room because of the heat generated from the motor. You may be thinking about possibly thermal destratification of a room in which you mix the cooler air on the floor with the warmer air by the ceiling and balancing the temperature but this may be only a couple of degrees difference from the floor to the ceiling but the room will still be the same temperature and then again you're adding heat from the motor.
It may be perceived as cooler as moving air across the skin only fools your brain into thinking it's cooler but it's actually the same temperature of air.
You know what I mean. This is either a smart ass response or you are going on about nothing.
People use a fan to circulate air and make it feel 'cooler' by generating a 'breeze'.
I don't think anyone looking to buy a proper fan thinks they literally cool the room.

"It can apparently generate airflow around an entire room if you point it vertically"
Happy now?