Quiet Garage Door opener options

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2020 7:20 pm
[OP]
Banned
Sep 15, 2020
1 posts

Quiet Garage Door opener options

Though my neighbors have been complaining about my loud garage door but I thought they were just cribbing as usual. Recently, My family started sleeping in the room directly above the garage. And as I come back from last 3 trips late and My kids woke up each time due to the loud noise from garage and now that's an issue for me.

My old garage door has been leaking oil too. Any recommendations for a silent or quiet garage door opener. Though read some reviews here [...] . Let me know what you think about these ones
Last edited by Mars2012 on Sep 17th, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed spam
33 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3032 posts
1778 upvotes
Mississauga
Your current opener likely has a metal chain link. All newer openers have rubber belt system so they run almost whisper quiet. In addition, you could change the current rollers attached to the garage door to nylon ones, the current ones are most likely metal.
I got this opener couple of years back. It was on sale for 199$ around BlackFriday/Boxing Day.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/chambe ... 1000837133
I also got some nylon rollers from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00V4V1GNO
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17312 posts
19318 upvotes
Oakville
Your garage door is leaking oil? Probably just excessive lube that was applied to the joints.
Here's what you can do to quiet your door.
Using lithium spray grease, or specific garage door lub, spray the rollers, hinges, track, and torsion springs. You can also replace the rollers with new ones if they're worn, or swap to nylon ones. That will quiet your door.
Then you need to quiet the opener. You want to isolate it from the rest of the garage. So you need to mount rubber or cork isolation pads where the opener hangs from the ceiling, and where the opener rail mounts to the front of the garage.
I did this and massively quieted my opener. My opener is belt driven and was very noisy despite being a labelled "whisper quiet". There isn't a big difference in noise between belt and chain driven units.
Now is also a good to make sure your torsion springs are not broken, which will put undue load and noise on your opener.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Selling 18x8 Winter Wheels/Tires 225/60R-18 for Audi Q5, A5, Mercedes, PM for info, lots of tread.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1589757439
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36250 posts
10436 upvotes
Ottawa
I went form a chain drive to a belt drive and barley hear it, even in the room above the garage.

The other option is a wall mount https://www.chamberlain.com/chamberlain ... er/p/RJO20

Thing is, some noise will always be there, the rollers on the garage door. Even if you change them to fiber rollers, they will still make noise going up and down the track.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17312 posts
19318 upvotes
Oakville
Jerico wrote: Forget traditional openers and get a wall mounted model. They have come down from $500/600 to the $300ish range. This is one expensive example
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/chambe ... lsrc=aw.ds
+1, forgot to mention this. Just need to be sure you have room for it on the side. I'd love to get one and would pick one up for $300.

Or DIY it :)

Selling 18x8 Winter Wheels/Tires 225/60R-18 for Audi Q5, A5, Mercedes, PM for info, lots of tread.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6900 posts
3871 upvotes
Mississauga
engineered wrote: +1, forgot to mention this. Just need to be sure you have room for it on the side. I'd love to get one and would pick one up for $300.
I’d love to get one too as it would open the space above for some hanging storage. But I’ve only got about a 6” gap between the door track and garage side wall, so...
Aug 1, 2007
718 posts
72 upvotes
Just wanted to piggyback on this thread. Is it possible to quite the garage door with a new opener and not require a new garage door?
Jul 1, 2016
915 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
Damienjax wrote: Recently, My family started sleeping in the room directly above the garage. And as I come back from last 3 trips late and My kids woke up each time due to the loud noise from garage and now that's an issue for me.
Killer_Saves wrote: Just wanted to piggyback on this thread. Is it possible to quite the garage door with a new opener and not require a new garage door?
Absolutely... I recently replaced a 20+ year old door opener to this one;
https://www.costco.ca/skylink-atoms-34- ... 11694.html
Super quiet compared to before...
Pixelation~
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12441 posts
7032 upvotes
Brampton
Are you sure it's just the opener that's the problem. I have a belt drive motors that's quiet now. But When I first moved it there was a combination of problems.

The Wheels would skip because the door was not aligned correctly, the springs were not adjusted correctly. The door itself was a POS builder doublewide door that had also warped over time.

Once I corrected all the issues by replacing the door and all the hardware the whole shabang became very quiet.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17312 posts
19318 upvotes
Oakville
Killer_Saves wrote: Just wanted to piggyback on this thread. Is it possible to quite the garage door with a new opener and not require a new garage door?
Read the posts above. You don't even need to change your opener.

Jul 1, 2016
915 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
Killer_Saves wrote: How long have you had it for and no issues with it so far? Price looks good.
2 weeks haha... from my research the Atoms is a decent-ish brand. There are sales of it's lower end models from previous years 1/2 HP that went for $30/50 on clearance that are quite reliable.

I settled on the bundle from Costco for it's return policy and because it's a 3/4 HP model; quiet belt system, wireless keyboard and control panel (+2 remotes) ... it's quite nice as I have the wireless keypad hidden on the property as an emergency backup.
Pixelation~
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36250 posts
10436 upvotes
Ottawa
As I said above, is it the opener or is it the door that is making the noise?
Disconnect the opener and open and close the door manually and you will see how much noise the actual door makes. I think you would be surprised how noisy the door rolling on the track actually is. You can lessen the noise somewhat by changing the rollers from the standard metal ones to fiber or nylon. I would try that first.
Changing rollers lessened the noise on my door a lot.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1039 posts
926 upvotes
Toronto
Belt drive opener.

Mine was making quite a bit of creaking / grinding noise then I lubed up the torsion spring....world of difference it's very quiet again.

I used to just lube the wheels and track area, but the torsion spring has to be done liberally.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1857 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Your garage door is leaking oil? Probably just excessive lube that was applied to the joints.
Here's what you can do to quiet your door.
Using lithium spray grease, or specific garage door lub, spray the rollers, hinges, track, and torsion springs. You can also replace the rollers with new ones if they're worn, or swap to nylon ones. That will quiet your door.
Then you need to quiet the opener. You want to isolate it from the rest of the garage. So you need to mount rubber or cork isolation pads where the opener hangs from the ceiling, and where the opener rail mounts to the front of the garage.
I did this and massively quieted my opener. My opener is belt driven and was very noisy despite being a labelled "whisper quiet". There isn't a big difference in noise between belt and chain driven units.
Now is also a good to make sure your torsion springs are not broken, which will put undue load and noise on your opener.
Can you post more detail on what you did to isolate with the cork or or rubber isolation pads? Is this an existing product you bought from somewhere?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1857 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: Forget traditional openers and get a wall mounted model. They have come down from $500/600 to the $300ish range. This is one expensive example
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/chambe ... lsrc=aw.ds
How much quieter is this than something like the Chamberlain B1381C? How much space do we need on each side for these types of units?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36250 posts
10436 upvotes
Ottawa
2K6TSX wrote: How much quieter is this than something like the Chamberlain B1381C? How much space do we need on each side for these types of units?
Here is information on one brand. https://www.chamberlain.com/chamberlain ... er/p/RJO20

My neighbor has one (got it when they first came out and was expensive). I do not find it quieter than my belt drive unit. The rollers on the track are the biggest noise maker. It does away with the long bar and opener in middle of garage ceiling.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8309 posts
1889 upvotes
Ontario
Years ago I visited co-worker's home and they had a garage system that was beltless, but it had a piston or hydraulic to open the door (I don't remember, but it was a soft start, then ramp up). It was a rolling door too, so it still had a track and wheels.

When I try to search online for something like that, I don't seem to find anything, but that was by far the quietest system I've seen in action.
Last edited by onlineharvest on Sep 22nd, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.