Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1452 posts
241 upvotes

Quiet/Silent mode with video door bell?

Hi,

Not sure if this belongs in this sub-forum or Computer/Electronics. Mods, please move as appropriate.

Looking to get a video door bell - either Nest Hello, Ring Pro or Skybell. I know Nest and Skybell have quiet/silent mode so can turn off the chime for example, while baby is sleeping. I can't seem to find a straight answer if the Ring Pro has similar function.

Does anyone know?

Thank you!
4 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11869 posts
8128 upvotes
Edmonton
crustydragon wrote: Hi,

Not sure if this belongs in this sub-forum or Computer/Electronics. Mods, please move as appropriate.

Looking to get a video door bell - either Nest Hello, Ring Pro or Skybell. I know Nest and Skybell have quiet/silent mode so can turn off the chime for example, while baby is sleeping. I can't seem to find a straight answer if the Ring Pro has similar function.

Does anyone know?

Thank you!
On my Ring app, I can set motion monitoring schedules, so you could make sure that your child isn't disturbed by someone walking by or even dropping something off on the step.

You can set a "Motion Snooze" quickly as well.

You can also set the App Alert Tone to "Silent" or adjust the volume.

I've also got a Chime, which strangely enough doesn't have a "Silent" option, but does have a separate volume. You can also snooze it.

Let me know if that helps, or just raises more questions. :)

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1452 posts
241 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: On my Ring app, I can set motion monitoring schedules, so you could make sure that your child isn't disturbed by someone walking by or even dropping something off on the step.

You can set a "Motion Snooze" quickly as well.

You can also set the App Alert Tone to "Silent" or adjust the volume.

I've also got a Chime, which strangely enough doesn't have a "Silent" option, but does have a separate volume. You can also snooze it.

Let me know if that helps, or just raises more questions. :)

C
Thanks, yeah more confused haha.

Nest Hello has option for 'quiet mode' where you still get alerts but no chime when door bell pressed. It seems to me that there are work-arounds with Ring by disabling motion alert/turning off the volume but no option to just silent the chime for a specified period of time?

If you do "motion snooze" and someone pushes on the door bell, do you hear the door bell /chime?
Jun 2, 2009
262 posts
86 upvotes
For Ring Pro:

you can use app to turn off:
app notifications for motion or ring separately for your device only (you'll have to do this for every mobile device you install a Ring app into)
turn off the physical chime (so only Ring apps will provide notification).. the house bell will not ring.
snooze notifications for motion (for that one mobile device only)
set schedules (I think this is for your mobile device only)

in all cases, if somebody walks up to the Ring Pro and presses the button, the Ring Pro doorbell itself will sound that jingle, but your apps and physical bell indoors may not provide notification.

Also in all cases, I believe Ring Pro is recording all the activity.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11869 posts
8128 upvotes
Edmonton
AFAIK, the app and the chime are considered two different devices. The doorbell itself doesn't make any noise (I don't have a "regular" chime, so I can't test that, though). So if I snooze the Chime (the Ring Chime), it won't make any noises, which would be what I would think you'd want. It won't chime for the doorbell or motion.

The app on your phone is controlled separately. I can turn off ring alerts entirely, I can set the tone to vibrate, I can snooze the motion, etc.

I think it will do what you want it to do, just by snoozing the Chime. But I'm not sure how well it will work if you use an existing "old school" doorbell, and I can't test that.

C