Personal Finance

Quit first job to covid scare (not directly affected), started second job after 6 months, got laid off, EI eligibility

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2020 5:34 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
2571 posts
2013 upvotes
Toronto

Quit first job to covid scare (not directly affected), started second job after 6 months, got laid off, EI eligibility

So a friend came to country last year.

Worked enough hours for EI. Job was at airport so left it as they were pretty scared due to Covid, but not directly affected by Covid.
Joined another job after ~6 months unemployment. Got laid off in few weeks. Didn't apply for any cerb yet.

Should they apply EI based on enough hours worked in first job but quitting it?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
3447 posts
894 upvotes
If they were legitimately laid off from the second job, I don’t see why the couldn’t collect EI.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
2571 posts
2013 upvotes
Toronto
Rockdaddy22 wrote: If they were legitimately laid off from the second job, I don’t see why the couldn’t collect EI.
The confusion is that they quit the first job where EI hours were banked. So RoE shows it as quit. Second job is legitimate lay off but there was a gap between both jobs.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1318 posts
1144 upvotes
Yeah, it doesn't make any difference that you quit the first job. The banked hours still count.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
2571 posts
2013 upvotes
Toronto
CanadianSpruce wrote: Yeah, it doesn't make any difference that you quit the first job. The banked hours still count.
Alright, I'll advise them to start the claim. Worst case, they'll deny it or ask for more details
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1312 posts
1845 upvotes
Toronto
Your EI hours earned from the job you quit will NOT be counted. Only hours worked from the company you have been laid off will.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
2011 posts
1030 upvotes
Did you work these hours within the 52 weeks prior to the lay off? I believe that's the criteria for hours.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
2571 posts
2013 upvotes
Toronto
kthxbye wrote: Your EI hours earned from the job you quit will NOT be counted. Only hours worked from the company you have been laid off will.
That's what I think. Can u elaborate more? Or have some resources to look up? Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
2571 posts
2013 upvotes
Toronto
BlueSolstice wrote: Did you work these hours within the 52 weeks prior to the lay off? I believe that's the criteria for hours.
Yes, so confusion is if those hours are counted against minimum required.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1312 posts
1845 upvotes
Toronto
JaiKor wrote: That's what I think. Can u elaborate more? Or have some resources to look up? Thanks
I quit a job and left the country for several months. I came back and got a job from which I was laid off 6 months later. EI only counted the job where i was laid off not the one I quit.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
3418 posts
2648 upvotes
Montreal, QC
kthxbye wrote: Your EI hours earned from the job you quit will NOT be counted. Only hours worked from the company you have been laid off will.
I think it depends on the reason of quitting. In the original poster's friend's case, it might not be counted as you've indicated

However, quitting doesn't always means that the hours won't be counted. For example, if someone quits a job for another job and that second job doesn't work out and they get laid off, the first job's hours will be counted.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)