Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
3670 posts
2987 upvotes
Southern Ontario

To Quit or to Get Terminated?

I feel quite embarrassed, but I started a job with a Temp agency who placed me at a manufacturer where the job is beyond my physical capabilities (I'm an older worker). I signed a contract where I have to give 2 weeks notice or they can Terminate me at any time, for any reason...

I don't plan on doing any other shifts at this sh!thole, felt like I was going to pass out on Midnight shift doing a strenuous job - almost dropping steel stampings on myself, then was struggling to stay awake as I drove home.

I have a great work history and References, I just picked the wrong job that isn't suited to me.

I've never been Fired in my life, but I'm looking for the easiest way out. I have an interview for a lighter job that pays more money, tomorrow. I'd rather work a Day shift at McDonald's than this.

Any info would be appreciated. Yes, I'm a middle aged person trying to get back into the workforce. I really made a mistake going with this Temp agency and placement. PM me please, if anyone has some personal advice and would like to not post it publicly.

The Temp people were bugging me every day on the phone up to my first day, until I emailed them and asked about my options to cease employment. Now it's "crickets".
20 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
2127 posts
749 upvotes
sorry, are you hired by agency then placed to the factory or hired directly by the factory.
Talk to whoever hire you, ask for more pay and not on night shift or material handling, this kind of job quit or terminate doesn't matter, nothing embarrassed.
Because a lot of people still on CERB, those jobs are hard to fill, just ask for it. Like the guy above said, every tim / mcdonald had hiring sign.
<signature removed>
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
3670 posts
2987 upvotes
Southern Ontario
napoleonbot wrote: sorry, are you hired by agency then placed to the factory or hired directly by the factory.
Talk to whoever hire you, ask for more pay and not on night shift or material handling, this kind of job quit or terminate doesn't matter, nothing embarrassed.
Because a lot of people still on CERB, those jobs are hard to fill, just ask for it. Like the guy above said, every tim / mcdonald had hiring sign.
Hired by Agency. I'm under the impression that they have a hard time filling the spots and keeping employees. It's not a good job... felt like a robot, soaked in sweat and feeling like crap.

Agency called me and the guy is asking the Manager. I offered for the company to keep all the money (1.5 shifts) to let me out of the contract. If that doesn't work I'll get myself canned. I have a job interview tomorrow anyway (lighter job with higher wage) and willing to take any Job as long as they're not heavy physical labour and are a Day/Afternoon shift.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1810 posts
1830 upvotes
Gibsons wrote: Hired by Agency. I'm under the impression that they have a hard time filling the spots and keeping employees. It's not a good job... felt like a robot, soaked in sweat and feeling like crap.

Agency called me and the guy is asking the Manager. I offered for the company to keep all the money (1.5 shifts) to let me out of the contract. If that doesn't work I'll get myself canned. I have a job interview tomorrow anyway (lighter job with higher wage) and willing to take any Job as long as they're not heavy physical labour and are a Day/Afternoon shift.
There is no legal obligation to give 2 weeks notice. They can’t do anything if you said you quit and you are not showing up tomorrow. You may burn some bridges with the agency but who cares…. There many other agencies out there. Just quit right away without giving them 2 weeks notice and tell them that you are not physically suited for this job.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
2127 posts
749 upvotes
Gibsons wrote: Hired by Agency. I'm under the impression that they have a hard time filling the spots and keeping employees. It's not a good job... felt like a robot, soaked in sweat and feeling like crap.
.. I offered for the company to keep all the money (1.5 shifts) to let me out of the contract. If that doesn't work I'll get myself canned. ...
felt like a robot, soaked in sweat and feeling like crap = job; you just has to figure out if you handle it.

Still confused about your situation, you don't have to show up at job regardless a contract signed or not, it is a free country not army, not prison. so you don't have to show up, and you don't have to offer anything to get out.
You just call the agency, ask another placement or better rate.
<signature removed>
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8003 posts
2337 upvotes
Toronto

You don't need to give them any notice, don't show up anymore and wait for them to deposit your $ into the DD account you provided them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
3670 posts
2987 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Okay, it's over. I told them I Quit and there was no problem.

Never worked with a Temp agency before and was just overthinking it.

Thanks everyone.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
Gibsons wrote: Okay, it's over. I told them I Quit and there was no problem.

Never worked with a Temp agency before and was just overthinking it.

Thanks everyone.
It's a temp agency. The fact that you told them you were quitting instead of just not showing up is probably a bonus to them. :)

Good luck on the next job!

C
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5117 posts
2961 upvotes
Screw temp agencies. I'm glad it worked out for you OP. A temp agency was ordered to stop billing workers $30,000 for resigning. A new complaint says the practice continues

Admittedly I don't understand 100% of EI, but I think it's stupid that an employee who quits may not be eligible. I imagine there is individual circumstances and context, but if you're leaving a toxic environment, I think there should be some provision for 3 to 6 months EI (if you quit) to receive EI, (i.e. if your company does not provide STD or LTD benefits, and even then, the EI should exist).
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
4909 posts
6124 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: It's a temp agency. The fact that you told them you were quitting instead of just not showing up is probably a bonus to them. :)

Good luck on the next job!

C
The OP shouldve just given his 2 weeks notice then tell the manager he was hired by the competition.
They would have let me leave on the stop due to conflict/interest.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
KravenHead wrote: The OP shouldve just given his 2 weeks notice then tell the manager he was hired by the competition.
I don’t think a conflict of interest is a big deal in a manual labour job…

C
Oct 22, 2020
110 posts
91 upvotes
I've been at jobs where it was relatively easy 1) because the whole stamping line involving 5 stations and 20 or so people can only move so fast or 2) the robot or welding machine has a cycle time and there is no point to work faster than that.

I've had one that was as you describe, working furiously, struggling to make the impossible target 3000 or so pieces a shift: loading the 2 blanks, press the buttons, ka-chunk, then unloading the stamped pieces. Sore fingers, soaked in sweat and stamping fluid. Tolerable for a few days in my early twenties, but it is more akin to corporal punishment than work.
Mar 20, 2006
585 posts
401 upvotes
KravenHead wrote: The OP shouldve just given his 2 weeks notice then tell the manager he was hired by the competition.
Nope, if it is affecting physically (or even emotionally) just quit. Been there and tried doing it myself once out of professional courtesy and also, that part of the project was ending anyway. I was going to quit rather than starting to work on a different role with the same company. The job was not physical but, since I am not used to doing much physical work my back was out due to wrong posture and it took me longer to recover than that stupid 2 week notice. Lesson learned there is nothing more important than your health. I am glad that OP made the right decision.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5617 posts
1478 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
If you resign voluntarily, you give up your rights to severance / a required notice period. Food for thought.
Accountant (Public Practice)
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Environmental Services
  • Road Construction
  • Transportation & Logistics
  • Tax & Financial Analysis
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7601 posts
1678 upvotes
Scarborough
temp agencies never give any severence anyway since you're never an employee of some company......is that right?

working for an agency is like you're in the middle of nowhere.....no benefits/protection at all........
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1766 upvotes
Montreal, QC

Regardless of the contract you signed stating that you "must" give 2 weeks notice, it depends on the province and based on your profile, you're from Ontario and I'm not familiar with the Ontario labour law/code but in the province of Quebec, our law just states that an employee must give "reasonable" notice.

Given that you just started the job, I don't see the company or agency taking any sort of legal actions against you especially for the type of job that you mentioned.

You have to consider your own safety and well bring and the only thing that you need to ask yourself is whether you need the agency to find you another job since you might or are probably burning bridges with this agency but then again, the agency gets a cut of your salary or gets a certain amount for finding an employee to fill a position so they might not care.
Penalty Box
Jun 26, 2009
5138 posts
4876 upvotes
GTA
FirstGear wrote: If you resign voluntarily, you give up your rights to severance / a required notice period. Food for thought.
What rights are you talking about? Severance pay after 2 weeks from temp agency? In what Dreamland? Even some decent workplaces sometimes give one week pay for every year at the company for workers with 5 or more years. Junior guys get kick in the back part, and you dream about severance after 2 weeks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5617 posts
1478 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Tommy74 wrote: What rights are you talking about? Severance pay after 2 weeks from temp agency? In what Dreamland? Even some decent workplaces sometimes give one week pay for every year at the company for workers with 5 or more years. Junior guys get kick in the back part, and you dream about severance after 2 weeks.
What are these 'decent workplaces' you specifically refer to who have such policies?

Each province has its laws regarding minimum notice required to terminate an employee (or termination pay instead of notice, or severance), unless the employee is dismissed with cause, or quits voluntarily.

Working for a temp agency does not exclude an employee from employee rights even if different clients are worked for. Throughout employment, the employee is employed by the agency, not each client the employee works for.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
3670 posts
2987 upvotes
Southern Ontario
FirstGear wrote: What are these 'decent workplaces' you specifically refer to who have such policies?

Each province has its laws regarding minimum notice required to terminate an employee (or termination pay instead of notice, or severance), unless the employee is dismissed with cause, or quits voluntarily.

Working for a temp agency does not exclude an employee from employee rights even if different clients are worked for. Throughout employment, the employee is employed by the agency, not each client the employee works for.
The contract that we sign states that the company "can terminate at any time, for any reason". Don't know if that's legal or not, but I have my doubts about some of the workplaces I've had the displeasure of working at since Covid screwed up my longtime employer and my job there.

If they don't have to give notice, I certainly will not as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)