Careers

Locked: Quitting after working for one day?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 10:36 pm
[OP]
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
41 posts
12 upvotes

Quitting after working for one day?

Hi, so I'm gonna give a little but of context here. I'm a teenager who got hired at my local Tim Hortons a few days ago. Today was my first day (it was supposed to be tuesday, but the manager seemed to not know that someone else was also starting that same day). Anyways, I worked today and I have to say: it is the worst job experience ever. I'm sure it's not the same in every Tim's across the country, but where I worked, it was horrible. First off, I specifically said I wanted to work part time, yet the manager gave me a full time schedule (8 hours a day from tuesday to saturday). Next is the fact that the manager seems nice, but she obviously has an anger management issue, she feels repulsed when we do certain actions (fold arms, lean on counter, etc.) and will scream at people for it. It was my first day, so I could clearly see how she held back to me.

Of course, those aren't the only problems but they're some of the ones I decided to point out in this post. I'm planning on calling her tomorrow (since I don't work tomorrow because of an important appointment) and tell her that I quit. I just need some advice, is this a wise choice? Would this affect my ability to get hired again later? Also, what wouls be the best way to go around this, what do I say when I call her?

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated! I've worked at part time jobs before, and none made me feel so bad as this one.
Share:
25 replies
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1126 posts
72 upvotes
Here
Sounds like a bad manager and quitting would be the best thing to do. Quitting after one day is the best thing to do because you will hate it even more if you go back for another day.

Working should be fun - everything should be fun IMHO. If you're not having fun, you shouldn't be doing it.
Nov 13, 2013
720 posts
245 upvotes
OTTAWA
springdays wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:08 pm
Hi

Are you trolling RFD?

will-i-get-approved-bmw-finance-2140855/
Probably, but benefit of the doubt maybe two people are using the account or asking one of the questions on behalf of someone else.
I think a teenager can easily quit and just leave it off your resume without any repercussions. Most of these early jobs are far from ideal so it could be worth sticking it out. With increase in minimum wage it might be harder and harder to get these types of jobs without any experience.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4456 posts
750 upvotes
springdays wrote:
Hi

Are you trolling RFD?

will-i-get-approved-bmw-finance-2140855/
Hahahahahhahahahahhahahahbaahhahahahahaha.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1049 posts
146 upvotes
Markham
EehamK247411 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:02 pm
Would this affect my ability to get hired again later? Also, what wouls be the best way to go around this, what do I say when I call her?

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated! I've worked at part time jobs before, and none made me feel so bad as this one.
Just be nice about it telling her you quit. No need to burn any bridges that you might or may not have. Its a small world, you never know who they might know that may affect your future jobs. (Highly unlikely for a job in your teens but, better be safe then sorry).

With that being said, doesn't matter if you quit after one day, it won't effect your future job search as if you don't tell others you had a job and quit after 1 day.

Good luck.
Nov 25, 2016
36 posts
9 upvotes
Why not say you can only do part time, and say you have a maximum of X a week. See where that goes first. (if you are in school....though you don’t seem to be, so if not then it’s the real world and jobs are full time if you are lucky) I would assume if you do a good job that she won’t have a beef with you so you won’t have to deal with anger. Will make good practice for adulting, not all bosses are nice, but a job is a job. You don’t seem to have even given it a chance, and in a few weeks you’re getting a raise as I assume you are not getting over minimum.
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
25 posts
6 upvotes
Not only people quit after one day, they make sure they are paid for that 1 day too. If the job sucks and the place sucks, its time to get out of there ASAP , doesn't matter if it was 1 day or not.

People get fired on the first day too, so it works both ways.

Sometimes people even quit after the orientation & training session. I had applied for a job. The first day we just had a 3-4 hour paid orientation type of session. There were 7-8 other new employees at this orientation session too.

The company was really bad & had lied to all of us during the interview stage. The job, place & work was not at all what we were told during the interview stage and the job ad they had given. It was an old company, who had changed their name & address and was projecting as a new company. So not much info was available about this company online.

After the 3-4 hr orientation session, most of us realised, what a fraud company it was & what lies they had told us. Most of us never arrived at work the next day..LOL. They had told us it was a fixed salaried marketing job, but what it really was , was a pure commission sales job. No base salary, nothing and not even a marketing job, but a sales job..LOL

But I made sure I was paid for the 4 hrs that I wasted after coming to the orientation session. It took them more than a month to pay me for those 4 hrs. But out of principle I made sure, I was paid for those 4 hrs. I can't even say I quit on the first day, it was before that..LMAO. The first day was the next day, this was just some stupid orientation session ..ha ha.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4749 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
No, quitting after one day in your days of PT work won't do anything and you can leave it off your resume.

However, just like all these threads here about real career jobs switching where people are afraid of being labeled a jumper, similar could be true with part time.

Have too many PT jobs on a resume, you need to have the right answers why you left those jobs. I remember when I used to hire PT workers and I asked why they left working at TH, and the answer was "it was too fast paced".....lol.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Aug 16, 2008
741 posts
127 upvotes
Markham
Those who lack power (or money in this case) often seek respect by owning things.
Aug 16, 2008
741 posts
127 upvotes
Markham
springdays wrote:
Hi

Are you trolling RFD?

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/will-i-g ... e-2140855/
lol wait a moment, i just read through the thread a bit more.

You have mortgage payments and you're asking career advice about a pt job at Tims?...GTFO LOL, troll of the year man.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4737 posts
2310 upvotes
Edmonton
unowned wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:00 am

You have mortgage payments and you're asking career advice about a pt job at Tims?...GTFO LOL, troll of the year man.
OP needs to write his story outline out in advance, to maintain continuity... The BMW was "a gift for someone they cherish".

C
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
25 posts
6 upvotes
unowned wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:00 am

You do know that people take 2-3 jobs sometimes to pay off their Mortgages. That's the sad reality in GVR and GTA due to crazy house prices. When you have a main 9-5 job, retail & fast food jobs are pretty much all you can do.

Where I worked, one of my co-worker's had a decent office job/salary, but he used to work PT in Home Depot mostly on weekend - at least 2 shifts a week to keep up with his expenses. He wasn't even living a fancy life style, just to have a decent middle class life, he had to do this, due to the crazy cost of living ( especially mortgages ) in GTA.

He just had a simple house in the burbs and a so so car, yet he had to do this nonsense .
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
My question is can a "teenager" rack up a very bad credit score which is now fixed and then go onto buy multiple cars?
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm: