Food & Drink

Quizno's Marketplace - The final nail in the coffin?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2020 12:28 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1306 upvotes

Quizno's Marketplace - The final nail in the coffin?

So I went into Quizno's today and discovered they now offer the "Quizno's Marketplace"

Basically, you can buy anything you want in the store. Individual 12" breads, their meats & cheeses by the gram, their signature sauces by the bottle or bag and even their condiments like Pickles and hot peppers.
I bought a bag of their Carbonara sauce for $9.99 and a 12" Rosemary Parmesan bread For $1.79

For the life of me I don't understand the reasoning for doing this. People come into our stores all the time asking to buy specific ingredients and we refuse, simply because if we sold our ingredients off one by one, people would stop eating at our stores and make the stuff at home.

Chain has been hurting for along time but this seems like the worst possible move they could do and reeks of desperation. Whoever thought of this idea needs to give their head a shake.

I love their carbonara sauce and it's pretty much the only reason I order from there anymore. Now that I can buy the sauce by the bag, I'll just buy the sauce and no longer order from there
63 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4380 upvotes
Yeah, it reeks of desperation:

https://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/quizno ... ry-staples

We've seen other restaurants do similar, while indoor dining is prohibited... rather than only offer takeout they offer "meal kits" so you can get their ingredients and make the dishes yourself at home.

Quiznos is doing the same as Touro Brazilian Steakhouse has been doing:
http://www.tourosteakhouse.com/mercado.html

I can understand a full service restaurant doing it. But a fast food place? That's why I said it reeks of desperation. It's not like Subway or Firehouse were doing this through COVID.
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Jul 31st, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19305 posts
6275 upvotes
Toronto
At that rate, if they don't get shelf space in a grocery store (for their sauces) they are in serious trouble.
Once their restaurants officially call it quits, where do people go to buy those sauces?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1306 upvotes
yea, I mean they essentially just lost me as a customer. The sauce I bought for $10 will probably do me about 20-30 sandwiches.

I'll just buy some fresh buns from a bakery throw on some stuff I want along with their sauce and I'm good to go. I can't see myself ever buying another sub from there again. They will get $10 out of me every few months instead of a few hundred. From a business view it makes zero sense unless they sold everything to make the sub in a kit to assemble yourself at home.

Letting me cherry pick what I want unless they were also planning to launch their sauces in grocery stores is a pretty big blunder IMO.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28883 posts
14418 upvotes
I'd 100% buy Subways or McDonald's Mayo.

Same reason: I'd never have to go back to Subway again.
This is just a bad idea.
Although if this was the height of COVID with closed restaurants it'd be an okay idea, but now that restaurants are open again? No. I want butts in seats.

Also: Quiznos is still open?
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19305 posts
6275 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Also: Quiznos is still open?
Yes. King & Dufferin in Toronto.-until the land is converted to condos. (soon)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1177 posts
1055 upvotes
I remember the Quiznos sandwiches Air Canada used to sell on board. I was given a free one and took 1 bite and threw the rest out. And I pretty much will eat anything.
Oct 22, 2007
652 posts
799 upvotes
QUiznos is leaps better than Subway and Mr Sub. Crazy how they all shut down.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4380 upvotes
The__Rock wrote: QUiznos is leaps better than Subway and Mr Sub. Crazy how they all shut down.
Firehouse Subs totally trashes all 3 of them.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1177 posts
1055 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Firehouse Subs totally trashes all 3 of them.
A Firehouse opened up near us but I haven't gone. Which one would you suggest to try first?
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4380 upvotes
George613 wrote: A Firehouse opened up near us but I haven't gone. Which one would you suggest to try first?
I like the Firehouse Hero best, with the Hook and Ladder a close second. Footlongs (and they really are a foot long, unlike Subway) are around $13.
But with all the meat, cheese, and "fully involved" veggies it'll weigh twice as much as a footlong at Subway that is selling for $9 now.

Don't compare their prices with Subway/Quiznos/Mr. Sub garbage. Firehouse is in a different league.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8167 posts
5084 upvotes
Mississauga
The__Rock wrote: QUiznos is leaps better than Subway and Mr Sub. Crazy how they all shut down.
And Mr. Sub is heaps better than Subway.

I have work colleagues who’ve had Firehouse and they swear by them.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3605 posts
276 upvotes
The__Rock wrote: Its also like $20 for a sub!
At least partly because you get more than 2 slices of meat on the Sub. Higher quality & higher quantity of meat and toppings.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
5086 posts
2591 upvotes
:(

I went to Quizno's often when there were a few locations near me, so much better than Subway at the time........then it all went downhill
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17487 posts
12208 upvotes
Markham
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Firehouse Subs totally trashes all 3 of them.
The__Rock wrote: Its also like $20 for a sub!
Funny that you're not referencing the quality or how good a Firehouse Sub is (or might be, I haven't been there). Instead you chose to cite the negative (ie high price) when you posted a Shawarma place with expensive shawarma wrap. You're not being consistent.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4380 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Funny that you're not referencing the quality or how good a Firehouse Sub is (or might be, I haven't been there). Instead you chose to cite the negative (ie high price) when you posted a Shawarma place with expensive shawarma wrap. You're not being consistent.
That and the subs are $12-14, not $20. Only a Subway/Mr.Sub/Quiznos (or some obscure shawarma place) shill would have an incentive to lie about Firehouse's prices.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49373 posts
12918 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
my0gr81 wrote: Wouldn't read too much into it, tbh. Pizza Nova just launched a similar offering:
https://pizzanova.com/products/grocery-mercato/
mrweather wrote: Pizzaville and Jack Astor’s have been doing it for a while.
Yeah times are tough. You can only make so much off take out and socially distanced dining/patios.
I think its rather smart..
Long line ups @ grocery stores and big crowds.
Sometimes i don’t want to line up if all i want is milk, eggs, or some lemons.