• Jul 22nd, 2021 11:17 am
[OP]
Feb 24, 2018
217 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto

raccoon on the backyard tree

Hi all
we just noted there are 2/3 of them laying on our backyard tree today. our yard is kind of clean.. no food or garbage left over...any idea to get rig of them ??
53 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5760 posts
3598 upvotes
They will eventually leave on their own.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7341 posts
2930 upvotes
Whitby
A dog probably ran them up there. I had one sit in a backyard tree for over a day.
Nov 27, 2020
285 posts
566 upvotes
Eventually the tree will die and the racoons will move on.
[OP]
Feb 24, 2018
217 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
deals4realz wrote: Eventually the tree will die and the racoons will move on.
lol... maybe winter :)
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3273 posts
2154 upvotes
Markham
Wildlife doesn't like noise and people.
Walking out to your backyard and make some noise....problem solved.
It will take less time than posting this thread....
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3149 posts
3519 upvotes
GTA
Spreading some Critter Ritter in and around the tree got rid of my backyard raccoons.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8128 posts
9304 upvotes
Montréal
Let them be. That's nature, and as long as they are causing no damages what is the issue with having raccoon sitting there?
[OP]
Feb 24, 2018
217 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
oh boys... they went to my roof last night .. look like some one running on top..not sure any damage yet...can't believe they can climb up from the brick wall
Apr 21, 2008
399 posts
509 upvotes
If they are up in your tree, they are likely coming down and making a home somewhere down below.

After unloading my pantry of cayenne pepper, black pepper, onion powder, vinegar and then spraying coyote urine, scattering blood meal, hanging irish spring soap and getting zero results, I called a professional.

Last year I spent over $1,000 getting a professional wildlife remover to go through my yard to dig up and wrap metal fencing around everything and anything that would allow raccoons, skunks, rabbits from making a home in my yard.

Best money I've spent. There was a family of 7 Raccoons making a home under my deck and who knows what else.

Now my neighbours are out asking if we've noticed any animals in our yard - I'd say no, we evicted them last year!
Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 8.44.38 AM copy.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
8441 posts
9305 upvotes
Vancouver
dongta wrote: oh boys... they went to my roof last night .. look like some one running on top..not sure any damage yet...can't believe they can climb up from the brick wall
That's trouble for sure. Raccoons are always looking for a way into your attic to make a den. They're very strong, well able to rip and push their way through any vulnerable spot. Better find a way to discourage them quick!
[OP]
Feb 24, 2018
217 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
called Gateswildlifecontrol and they are coming this Friday....util then... I guess we won't be able to sleep at night :(
Nov 27, 2020
285 posts
566 upvotes
Electric fence around the base of the tree will take care of this problem. Works very well and nobody gets hurt, except curious humans after a few drinks. Win, win, win. The 3rd win is self-congratulatory for posting this. I'm the best.
Apr 21, 2008
399 posts
509 upvotes
dongta wrote: called Gateswildlifecontrol and they are coming this Friday....util then... I guess we won't be able to sleep at night :(
When they give you a quote, make sure it covers your roof entry points (chimney, attic)

And also make sure when they install fencing that it goes down and across, like an L shape to prevent critters from digging under the fencing.

Good luck stranger!
[OP]
Feb 24, 2018
217 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
mighty_chef wrote: When they give you a quote, make sure it covers your roof entry points (chimney, attic)

And also make sure when they install fencing that it goes down and across, like an L shape to prevent critters from digging under the fencing.

Good luck stranger!
thanks

Actually I am planing the cut that tree to prevent those problem in the future.. should we just cut it or remove the root as well.. I hear some where saying that removing the root may cause foundation/soil problem
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
48258 posts
9151 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dongta wrote: thanks

Actually I am planing the cut that tree to prevent those problem in the future.. should we just cut it or remove the root as well.. I hear some where saying that removing the root may cause foundation/soil problem
Omg, no. It is illegal to cut down a tree over 8" in diameter, and given a raccoon went on the tree, I'm pretty sure it's over 8" in diameter.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1343 posts
854 upvotes
GTA
That escalated quickly; Seeing a raccoon in a tree, calling a wildlife company and now cutting down said tree.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
674 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Cutting down a tree to keep raccoons out of your yard? I'm sorry but that's hilarious.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6916 posts
6689 upvotes
icantfigureoutausername wrote: Cutting down a tree to keep raccoons out of your yard? I'm sorry but that's hilarious.
Not hilarious, ridiculous. It's unbelievable how so many people want to be outdoors but hate nature. I hope his neighbours report him if he cuts down the tree and he gets a hefty fine.

Another example of human stupidity causing unnecessary damage to planet earth