Automotive

Radiator broken or just really hot weather?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2016 5:58 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3307 posts
935 upvotes
Edmonton
tebore wrote: Get someone who knows what they're doing to look at it. Those cars are known for leaky water pumps, issues with the head gasket, and fan relay failures.
I believe the head gasket was not an issue on the 2.2 ecotec which he has (2003+ and some 2002)

Relay yes. Replaced a couple
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4477 posts
950 upvotes
Richmond Hill
So I did a few tests yesterday during the afternoon commute.

1. I turned off the AC.

When I kept the AC off, temps didn't go past 110. It fluctuated between 95-105. The cooling fan did not seem to get engaged. It was a bit windier than usual, so that may have helped drive air in.

2. I turned on the heater to the bottom vents and opened the windows.

Temps looked like it dropped a few degrees. Not a large drop, but at least it didn't keep the temps from increasing.

So, it doesn't look like a radiator issue? And moreso due to a combination of heavy AC usage and hot weather?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11693 posts
6300 upvotes
Brampton
tmkf_patryk wrote: I believe the head gasket was not an issue on the 2.2 ecotec which he has (2003+ and some 2002)

Relay yes. Replaced a couple
Right. The 2.2 was the chain tensioner right?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3307 posts
935 upvotes
Edmonton
tebore wrote: Right. The 2.2 was the chain tensioner right?
Yup
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15374 posts
12847 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Pete_Coach wrote: To add to macnut, have you checked the coolant level? Is it a 50/50 mix of coolant and water? Is is old coolant?
Could also be a thermostat.
Won't be tstat as those are designed to fail open. My guess is water pump is on its way out. OP check under the car to see if there is a puddle of coolant. If so its most likely the water pump.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3307 posts
935 upvotes
Edmonton
Won't see coolant. Probably dry off before it will drip as engine is hot. Look for residue from it. You will see it if it's leaking.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)