Rain barrels vs water tank?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2020 4:53 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4653 posts
2022 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Copper1212 wrote: No I haven't but I just looked them up. Seem more suited for large scale municipal projects rather than individual consumers.
I'm sure they'll work for you if you'll pay.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Nov 17, 2014
935 posts
735 upvotes
Ontario
thriftshopper wrote: I'm sure they'll work for you if you'll pay.
Or you could just go with the one designed for residential properties in the first place.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4653 posts
2022 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Copper1212 wrote: Or you could just go with the one designed for residential properties in the first place.
Nah, the proverbial sky should be the limit. Just like the house built by a multi-millionair auctioneer in my town. Must have spent $2,000 / s.f. and the house is the size of a medium-sized motel. Even has a water channel/feature (supposedly uses sea water for heating and cooling) that is at least 1 square foot in cross section going through it. The house sold for half the price in the listing and I am sure costed a lot more (multiples more) than the listing.
Jul 13, 2007
973 posts
504 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote: Nah, the proverbial sky should be the limit. Just like the house built by a multi-millionair auctioneer in my town. Must have spent $2,000 / s.f. and the house is the size of a medium-sized motel. Even has a water channel/feature (supposedly uses sea water for heating and cooling) that is at least 1 square foot in cross section going through it. The house sold for half the price in the listing and I am sure costed a lot more (multiples more) than the listing.
Ya, I'm all for science projects, but spendings thousands upon thousands of dollars on a graywater re-use system or rainwater system in a place that's <10km from the largest freshwater deposits in the world is not the best use of resources. You're already doing a lot to conserve by eliminating grass. The whole point of native plants is that they can survive without human intervention.

Keep it super-simple: IBC containers connected to the back and front yard downspouts. Prop up with whatever you can (upside down buckets? Pallets?), and run hoses from it with holes in the right places and capped at the end. Otherwise, you're spending more than you'll ever save.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4653 posts
2022 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
HammerRFDer wrote: Ya, I'm all for science projects, but spendings thousands upon thousands of dollars on a graywater re-use system or rainwater system in a place that's <10km from the largest freshwater deposits in the world is not the best use of resources. You're already doing a lot to conserve by eliminating grass. The whole point of native plants is that they can survive without human intervention.

Keep it super-simple: IBC containers connected to the back and front yard downspouts. Prop up with whatever you can (upside down buckets? Pallets?), and run hoses from it with holes in the right places and capped at the end. Otherwise, you're spending more than you'll ever save.
A lot of these "investments" are to make a statement (e.g., environmental, political), or are taking into consideration non-financial factors. In most cases, not worth the investment financially given the low price and relatively abundance of resources (i.e., water in this case). It'll start making sense if water availability is scarce and/or prices are high.

Akin to buying an electric car for someone who has a low-mileage lifestyle (seemingly lots of people where I live).