Rakuten

Rakuten: 10% cashback (Today only)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2020 10:59 am
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3864 upvotes
Why would amazon give away from their profits when people herd to them by default and pay them money.

Heck if I was a amazon shareholder I'd ask why they didn't do this sooner.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4966 posts
7016 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Messerschmitt wrote: Why would amazon give away from their profits when people herd to them by default and pay them money.

Heck if I was a amazon shareholder I'd ask why they didn't do this sooner.
Because they needed those reviewers to reach more consumers. That's part of Amazon's marketing budget. They figured they could pay these people less because there is no competition now and the content creators are stuck with them and stuck in their jobs, and wouldn't leave Amazon.

It's exploitative, just like everything Amazon does.
Oct 31, 2010
493 posts
962 upvotes
Montreal
Ink123/primecable/living.ca/shopperplus was also removed from this and the other Canadian cashback rebate site.
Dec 25, 2010
218 posts
176 upvotes
Canada, Quebec, Mont…
ariel wrote: In Jan and Feb, Shopper Army had banners up saying that Amazon was being removed and that they'd let you know when a "new" Amazon cashback program was available. Still hasn't happened
Wow I did not even know about Shopper Army (was only using eBates/rakuten since long). How many cashback programs you deal guru know and use? ;-)

I always wondered why so multiple those cashback place, why stores give that (I suppose it is marketing strategy and it does incitate some people like deal-sensitive people like us, might influence some to go at your store instead of the competition since he will save an extra 1-2%, why spit on free cash? And I guess giving 2% to one and 1% to another can help clients come to your site to try to take advantage of the 2% at one place! Is there other obvious stuff I'm missing out?).
Mar 27, 2015
28 posts
15 upvotes
Lindsay, ON
Has anyone else had an issue with their cashback being wrong? I made a purchase last night during the promotion from Lenovo, at 11% cashback. I should have gotten over $230 cashback on my purchase. Instead I recieved just under $20. My order was placed during the promotion period. It looks like it finalised processing at 1206am. Am I screwed? I contacted Rakuten, but haven't heard back just yet. Because my order was placed during the promotion do they typically honor it? Order processing is out of my control, but that 11% cashback was the main reason I ordered last night.
Nov 21, 2007
477 posts
564 upvotes
DeOrgy wrote: Has anyone else had an issue with their cashback being wrong? I made a purchase last night during the promotion from Lenovo, at 11% cashback. I should have gotten over $230 cashback on my purchase. Instead I recieved just under $20. My order was placed during the promotion period. It looks like it finalised processing at 1206am. Am I screwed? I contacted Rakuten, but haven't heard back just yet. Because my order was placed during the promotion do they typically honor it? Order processing is out of my control, but that 11% cashback was the main reason I ordered last night.
I placed my order for a Thinkpad and accessories via Rakuten's 11% cash back link yesterday afternoon. I haven't got anything from Rakuten yet.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
1147 posts
532 upvotes
mickoz wrote: Wow I did not even know about Shopper Army (was only using eBates/rakuten since long). How many cashback programs you deal guru know and use? ;-)

I always wondered why so multiple those cashback place, why stores give that (I suppose it is marketing strategy and it does incitate some people like deal-sensitive people like us, might influence some to go at your store instead of the competition since he will save an extra 1-2%, why spit on free cash? And I guess giving 2% to one and 1% to another can help clients come to your site to try to take advantage of the 2% at one place! Is there other obvious stuff I'm missing out?).
LOLOL that one and Great Canadian Rebates too. Just use the one that has the highest cash back for the store you need. Shopper Army takes a long time to pay though, like 2 months. I think the appeal of these sites is the large email lists. If Store X is having a sale, just call up Rakuten and tell them to email their millions of email subscribers and they get web traffic. Giving up 1 percent to Rakuten is peanut for them if people go off and spend hundreds
May 24, 2007
655 posts
748 upvotes
Kelowna
Drethis wrote: The amount you got from Rakuten Cashback on Amazon purchases was so little to begin with. You're better off just purchasing from other stores on the list anyway.
For this particular item yes, but on the whole it was a simple extra click that brought me back a few bucks regularly since I was buying from Amazon anyway. The ease of ordering from Amazon trumps pretty much every online site in terms of tracking, simplicity, free shipping (with Amazon Prime) and returns. I hope the day comes when other sites can be so seamless so we have more options.

As more companies introduce 3rd parties to their online ecosystem, selection has drastically improved but they seem to always be more expensive than Amazon (even if its from the same company) and dealing with returns can be a nightmare, nevermind the oft lacking tracking and delivery info.

I wish Google Shopping would take off in Canada to give us more options. Some of those deals they get down south are pretty awesome and I'm always jealous of the souths cheap shipping everywhere compared to what we pay.

I would look more into eBay these days however since nearly anything of note is coming from the states, shipping ( + duties) kills any deals there as well. Doesn't help that our dollar sucks comparatively.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8575 posts
2347 upvotes
Mississauga
djdestroyer wrote: Don't they have a huge ref link program?
They did. I just didn't understand why. Amazon doesn't need any referrals.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
2576 posts
2420 upvotes
Montreal, QC
funky_monkey wrote: I got birthday 15% cashback email from Rakuten this morning. But the links in the email are linked to american websites.
weird, I got an email on May 2nd it's for Canadian website, but it was one day only
Dec 25, 2010
218 posts
176 upvotes
Canada, Quebec, Mont…
antigua1999 wrote: They did. I just didn't understand why. Amazon doesn't need any referrals.
You may be right... but sometime you don't need something but it is better. But if they are losing more than winning giving that cashback, it might make sense to stop it. But if they attract more people in the end, even if they are so well known. Imagine if the same items, free shipping is offered on Amazon and another store you are comfortable ordering from (e.g., BestBuy), which one you would take? Full price or Full price minus 1%? (Without any other variables like need to add an item on Amazon order to get free shipping for example). Now, if both offer 1%, you might favor the one you prefer since you save nothing going to your 2nd favorite. (Yes, someone would still prefer Amazon, there are all kind of people, I just mean if you respect both store near equally, chance are an extra saving might make you chose one... why spit on some free dollars for a big purchase without any extra effort?)

In the end there is a truth, but it would be hard to evaluate for us, but maybe Amazon did the exercice.

Now I wonder how easy it would be to start such a business... it sounds good getting a % of a very big load of sales, even if it is 0.1-0.5%, and if it is more, even better.
May 19, 2013
203 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
I used dell's rakuten cashback, but I am not seeing the order get posted on my rakuten account.

This is odd because I ordered something a week before from the same website and received that cashback no problem.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)