• Jan 15th, 2021 7:36 pm
[OP]
Sep 2, 2019
92 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto

Rally for your restaurant is back, $10 for every $50 gc purchase

Deal Link:
I got this ad on IG. Looks like rally for your restaurant is back. dec 31 2021 expiry
94 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2016
1055 posts
1302 upvotes
Ottawa
$10 top up for $25 GC purchase is available too.
Images
  • upload.jpg
Nov 13, 2018
591 posts
1370 upvotes
Thanks OP. Bought four to support local places and try a few places new nearby that I hadn't before.

I don't want them all turning into penguin pickup or cannabis stores!
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1824 posts
1027 upvotes
Burnaby
Just one restaurant listed near me and its, unfortunately, by far the worst one I've been to

So as much as I would love to "rally" for my local restaurants, Earl's can go die for all I care but they ain't getting a cent out of me after how they treated me previously on my very first (and definitely last) visit
Nov 30, 2020
107 posts
141 upvotes
kooltilltheen wrote: Just one restaurant listed near me and its, unfortunately, by far the worst one I've been to

So as much as I would love to "rally" for my local restaurants, Earl's can go die for all I care but they ain't getting a cent out of me after how they treated me previously on my very first (and definitely last) visit
What did they do? you got me hooked on now. Tell me a story =D
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12898 posts
1249 upvotes
35% chance that the restaurant you buy from won't be around by the time you decide to use it
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
19677 posts
5845 upvotes
3 listed in Thunder Bay and i have never been to any of them. Ah well...
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3895 posts
2428 upvotes
Vancouver
Siefer999 wrote: 35% chance that the restaurant you buy from won't be around by the time you decide to use it
Might be closer to 50% if it’s a small business/non chain.
Mar 25, 2012
147 posts
226 upvotes
NB
Wow, there are actually quite a few in Moncton. I'm impressed! I didn't expect any.
Aug 30, 2019
21 posts
40 upvotes
Whilst this is a great idea in principle the majority of restaurants listed are big chain restaurants (All I get near me for example is Earls and Red Robin)

Red Robin is a US Owned chain listed on the stock exchange so guess what, they can do one. Stockholders do not need bailing out here.

Earls is still privately owned, so I would support that as they potentially need money to stay that way, but I'm also pretty sure with 60+ locations they have decent amount of money in the bank.

This site should be showcasing the smaller places in each town.

Great idea in principle but could do with some work here. I'll keep buying Canadian (finding more and more small businesses to buy from when I can, last one was hot sauces from PEI, took a while to get to me, but worth it. ) and local restaurants direct when I can.
Dec 10, 2004
820 posts
86 upvotes
YEG
Pretty much all pub fare and century hospitality restaurants. Better ways to support local
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1824 posts
1027 upvotes
Burnaby
Noobiedeals wrote: What did they do? you got me hooked on now. Tell me a story =D
Review copy-pasted (keep in mind this was around 3 months ago):

I'm not one to leave detailed reviews but after today's terrible experience, its the least I can do to warn others:

First of all, our waitress took like 30 minutes to take our order. Fine, it was a packed Friday evening so totally understandable.

However, what followed wasn't quite as acceptable...

a) The waitress said 10 pm is the last call for alcohol - we said we don't need any more alcohol so that's fine. Turns out, it was the last call for dessert too (but not food apparently since they took our food order around 10:15 pm - read on to find out more) and yet we were never told about this!

b) When we asked another passing by the waitress, she checked with the kitchen and said they are still accepting dessert orders (huh?) yet our waitress was adamant that the restaurant wasn't accepting dessert orders. Clearly, the restaurant's own servers had no idea what was going on...

c) We had ordered a Vegan Crispy Zen Tofu Bowl and specifically asked for no mushrooms in it (which the waitress said wasn't a problem). And yet lo and behold, there were loads of mushrooms in the food!

When I brought it up with the waitress, she said she'll talk to the manager and came back and told us that they'll prepare a replacement instead (even though I told them I had enough for the day and I didn't want it anymore - she pushed us to accept a take-out instead) and that they'll "only" charge us for one dish. Did she think she was doing me a favor by "only" charging me once for a dish that I didn't even consume (one with mushrooms) or want (that was forced on me for take-out)?

Needless to say, this was one of the worst experiences I've had in a restaurant in a long time and I got no plans to go to another Earl's anytime soon. Thankfully, there's no lack of restaurants in the vicinity so someone else will be getting my business from now on (even though I live next door in one of the Station Square Towers!)

Update: So I sent an email to the Restaurant Manager who responded to this review and he's ghosted me so far (it's been 5+ days). Earl's continue to prove my point - woeful customer service!

Response from the owner 3 months ago
Thank you for taking the time to write in about your experience. I am so sorry that this was how your visit to our store went. We pride ourselves on our ability to deliver great service, and we obviously failed to do this for you. I will be following up with the server personally and ensuring an experience like this doesn't occur again.

I'd love to chat further with you and ensure I impact this as best I can. If you don't mind, please email me at ben.parker@earls.ca so that I can make sure I rectify this properly.

P.S. I replied to that email but was ghosted (as I mentioned in the update above)...feel free to spam him no end if you're bored or whatever
Nov 22, 2017
207 posts
213 upvotes
This site has a scrolling issue...

Edit - issue on the scrolling when attempting to filter.

Has anyone used this before? I do see a couple of local restos I like so hoping its not an issue to redeem if its on here.
Last edited by manubear on Dec 17th, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2007
1458 posts
1297 upvotes
I don't know how earls exists in 2020. Went with some coworkers and the feminine passing people I was with was given free sparkling wine but no one else did. I brought it up to the server but she brushed me off, lol
Nov 30, 2020
107 posts
141 upvotes
kooltilltheen wrote: Review copy-pasted (keep in mind this was around 3 months ago):

I'm not one to leave detailed reviews but after today's terrible experience, its the least I can do to warn others:

First of all, our waitress took like 30 minutes to take our order. Fine, it was a packed Friday evening so totally understandable.

However, what followed wasn't quite as acceptable...

a) The waitress said 10 pm is the last call for alcohol - we said we don't need any more alcohol so that's fine. Turns out, it was the last call for dessert too (but not food apparently since they took our food order around 10:15 pm - read on to find out more) and yet we were never told about this!

b) When we asked another passing by the waitress, she checked with the kitchen and said they are still accepting dessert orders (huh?) yet our waitress was adamant that the restaurant wasn't accepting dessert orders. Clearly, the restaurant's own servers had no idea what was going on...

c) We had ordered a Vegan Crispy Zen Tofu Bowl and specifically asked for no mushrooms in it (which the waitress said wasn't a problem). And yet lo and behold, there were loads of mushrooms in the food!

When I brought it up with the waitress, she said she'll talk to the manager and came back and told us that they'll prepare a replacement instead (even though I told them I had enough for the day and I didn't want it anymore - she pushed us to accept a take-out instead) and that they'll "only" charge us for one dish. Did she think she was doing me a favor by "only" charging me once for a dish that I didn't even consume (one with mushrooms) or want (that was forced on me for take-out)?

Needless to say, this was one of the worst experiences I've had in a restaurant in a long time and I got no plans to go to another Earl's anytime soon. Thankfully, there's no lack of restaurants in the vicinity so someone else will be getting my business from now on (even though I live next door in one of the Station Square Towers!)

Update: So I sent an email to the Restaurant Manager who responded to this review and he's ghosted me so far (it's been 5+ days). Earl's continue to prove my point - woeful customer service!

Response from the owner 3 months ago
Thank you for taking the time to write in about your experience. I am so sorry that this was how your visit to our store went. We pride ourselves on our ability to deliver great service, and we obviously failed to do this for you. I will be following up with the server personally and ensuring an experience like this doesn't occur again.

I'd love to chat further with you and ensure I impact this as best I can. If you don't mind, please email me at ben.parker@earls.ca so that I can make sure I rectify this properly.

P.S. I replied to that email but was ghosted (as I mentioned in the update above)...feel free to spam him no end if you're bored or whatever
What's so funny is I'm watching an anime and the villain loves mushrooms meanwhile everyone else doesn't really like them.

Well, regardless, I read every word of your review, I am sorry you had to go through all that, and you deterred me from eating at Earls :)
Jul 13, 2016
324 posts
377 upvotes
London, Vancouver
I highly doubt this class action lawsuit will pay out.

There was one a few years ago for anyone that bought a computer Cathode Ray Tube monitor ( basically a box screen, not flat screen).

http://www.crtclassactioncanada.ca/

This was all over the media that everyone could get a nice payout.

People signed up, and guess what!? Zilch paid out.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctvnew ... 60613.html

All the hype and entering data for nothing. Who knows where all the personal data went.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1824 posts
1027 upvotes
Burnaby
Noobiedeals wrote:
What's so funny is I'm watching an anime and the villain loves mushrooms meanwhile everyone else doesn't really like them.

Well, regardless, I read every word of your review, I am sorry you had to go through all that, and you deterred me from eating at Earls :)
Go to Cactus Club Cafe if you want to go to a fine dining junk restaurant (for a lack of better term). Much better food + much better customer service
Nov 30, 2020
107 posts
141 upvotes
StevenW038982 wrote: I highly doubt this class action lawsuit will pay out.

There was one a few years ago for anyone that bought a computer Cathode Ray Tube monitor ( basically a box screen, not flat screen).

http://www.crtclassactioncanada.ca/

This was all over the media that everyone could get a nice payout.

People signed up, and guess what!? Zilch paid out.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctvnew ... 60613.html

All the hype and entering data for nothing. Who knows where all the personal data went.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Nov 30, 2013
228 posts
245 upvotes
NB
manubear wrote: This site has a scrolling issue...

Edit - issue on the scrolling when attempting to filter.

Has anyone used this before? I do see a couple of local restos I like so hoping its not an issue to redeem if its on here.
I had to CTRL - to see everything. Waste of time though, there were only 2 restaurants near me and both large chains. Boston Pizza and East Side Marios. I do like ESM and their arrabiata sauce
I AM NOT A BOOMER, but I wish i was.
Aug 31, 2006
587 posts
376 upvotes
Calgary
Rally for Pubs and Chains.