• Jul 22nd, 2016 3:29 pm
[OP]
Jan 31, 2009
258 posts
221 upvotes
Woodbridge

Ram 1500 - Ecodiesel, Hemi Advice

So, long story....but shortened because I love you all. :mad:

Been really considering a 1500 Ram Big Horn Ecodiesel. I drive about 40km one way to work every day, on the highway. The fuel economy is about 9L/100km in the Ecodiesel, whereas the Hemi 5.7 V8, which is $4700 cheaper is about 13L/100km based on most forums. Thing that scares me the most about diesel is that there have been significant low oil pressure, loud engine noises and engine stall issues...mostly in 2014s but the odd one still happens in 2016. Seems risky? I want a truck for many reasons, my little ford just isn't cutting it. The fuel economy of the ecodiesel really appeals to me.

2016 Big Horn Ecodiesel, pretty much fully loaded except for Rambox and Air Suspension 0% for up to 84 months, taxes in $290 bi-weekly.

At the end of the day, Hemi looks ok for the commuting but running around town after work and on weekends...17-18L/100km seems pretty brutal to me.

Anybody with experience with either of these motors in the city? Thanks for your insights!

B
35 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18563 posts
2929 upvotes
Langley
Paging guty96 and Shaner. ..
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5092 upvotes
ON
I've got a CC Sport with the HEMI and the 8speed. Wouldn't change it for anything unless it was the bigger 6.4 Hemi. If you're too worried about fuel economy then get the pentastar V6 for no extra charge. I never drove a truck with one but it was plenty powerful in the 300. Most people who have them and don't tow or haul heavy loads frequently are happy with them.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2290 posts
1434 upvotes
I have a 2015 Sport with the Hemi. Your figures are pretty accurate. You can expect 17-18l/100km in the city. I'm almost all city driving and I'm in that range. On the highway it's not so bad. You can expect around 11-14 depending on how you drive.

But if you're really concerned about MPG then I would strongly suggest getting the Eco diesel. I may have gone that route if the price increase wasn't so significant. For the little driving I do, it just wasn't worth the extra money.

In saying all of that...the Hemi is definitely more fun to drive and has a lot more power.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9771 posts
3979 upvotes
i6s1 wrote: Paging guty96 and Shaner. ..

Ha. I own a Nissan and he owns a Ford.

We both had good experience with Hemi when we had them though. Sport is my favorite model for sure.
Aug 30, 2007
405 posts
202 upvotes
Just tossing it out there. Colorado or Canyon in Diesel? Extremely good MPG ratings for a truck.

Or do you like the looks of the Dodge?
[OP]
Jan 31, 2009
258 posts
221 upvotes
Woodbridge
sgtplunder wrote: Just tossing it out there. Colorado or Canyon in Diesel? Extremely good MPG ratings for a truck.

Or do you like the looks of the Dodge?
Looks are great on the RAM, plus I can purchase with an Advantage Plan discount, which trims off a few K but these days dealers are selling at their cost and making the loss back on their volume bonus apparently. And I enjoy the size of the truck too...but those are good options nontheless if Ram wasn't appealing.

Plus, both of those trucks, when you add similar features doesn't save you much (according to my build and price).
[OP]
Jan 31, 2009
258 posts
221 upvotes
Woodbridge
OldMarriedGuy wrote: I have a 2015 Sport with the Hemi. Your figures are pretty accurate. You can expect 17-18l/100km in the city. I'm almost all city driving and I'm in that range. On the highway it's not so bad. You can expect around 11-14 depending on how you drive.

But if you're really concerned about MPG then I would strongly suggest getting the Eco diesel. I may have gone that route if the price increase wasn't so significant. For the little driving I do, it just wasn't worth the extra money.

In saying all of that...the Hemi is definitely more fun to drive and has a lot more power.
See, I don't need the towing aspect of the Eco...just the economy. 11-14km/L isn't bad for a HEMI...you're right they are fun to drive but at the savings of $5k, the additional fuel would cost me that much more in 2 or so years. The sport is by far the best model but the Big Horn with Premium package is nice too. Too bad the Eco doesn't come with the Sport but I guess it makes sense since there isn't anything sport about a diesel lol.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2009
258 posts
221 upvotes
Woodbridge
dilligafeh wrote: I've got a CC Sport with the HDMI and the 8speed. Wouldn't change it for anything unless it was a bigger the 6.4 Hemi. If you're too worried about fuel economy then get the pentastar V6 for no extra charge. I never drove a truck with one but it was plenty powerful in the 300. Most people who have them and don't tow or haul heavy loads frequently are happy with them.
Yeah, i'm starting to consider it. Just dont have it in me to waste so much fuel on the HEMI...although most of my driving is highway. I need to find someone to carpool with haha.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5092 upvotes
ON
bdbell84 wrote: Yeah, i'm starting to consider it. Just dont have it in me to waste so much fuel on the HEMI...although most of my driving is highway. I need to find someone to carpool with haha.
Hemi is fine for highway driving. It comes with MDS and will shut off 4 cylinders when cruising. Best if both worlds, you get the savings of a 4 and the power of an 8 when you stomp the skinny pedal.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6214 posts
2964 upvotes
Kingston, ON
bdbell84 wrote: Yeah, i'm starting to consider it. Just dont have it in me to waste so much fuel on the HEMI...although most of my driving is highway. I need to find someone to carpool with haha.
Buy the diesel if you like it, but you're never going to actually "save money" by paying more for it. Napkin math at 9l/100km vs. 13, $0.90 for diesel vs. $1.10 for 89 (Hemi recommended fuel, not regular), at 9600 highway km a year, is $620 annual fuel difference, probably less because in winter diesel and gas prices are closer together. Then there's around town to consider, but it's still taking you a long time to make up the extra up front.

I too would test the Pentastar to see if that works for you in terms of power and fuel savings.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1290 posts
463 upvotes
bdbell84 wrote: At the end of the day, Hemi looks ok for the commuting but running around town after work and on weekends...17-18L/100km seems pretty brutal to me.
I have a 2013 Sport with Hemi - and you are right on with that for the city. Even with cylinder deactivation and active grille shutters, I don't see much better than 12 on the highway
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18563 posts
2929 upvotes
Langley
If your main concern is saving money, then get a pickup (mid or fullsize) with a v6 gas engine. You'll save money up front over diesel and v8 options, and you'll get good fuel economy. The modern v6 engines have 300hp which is more than enough for most people, even for light towing.
Feb 25, 2015
693 posts
228 upvotes
ON
What is the cost difference in scheduled service between the 5.7 hemi and 3.0 EcoDiesel?
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2006
3522 posts
115 upvotes
Halton
Get the hemi You won't regret it
Enjoy Life
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2936 posts
605 upvotes
Ancaster
I had a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the EcoDiesel.

It was awesome...very fast & trouble free during the 2 years I owned it.

I said it was fast.....in a Jeep that isn't much bigger than the average sedan...so I can't give you much info on how hard it pulls in a full sized Ram.
Banned
Feb 25, 2016
307 posts
85 upvotes
You might think about getting a used Ram for weekends, and something like a Golf for the commuting. You can get 5.5 l/100 km very easily with a TDI.
Oct 21, 2006
646 posts
403 upvotes
why not get a Toyota corolla?
May 26, 2005
813 posts
579 upvotes
Invalid12 wrote: What is the cost difference in scheduled service between the 5.7 hemi and 3.0 EcoDiesel?
At my local dealer's Mopar Express Lane, Hemi oil change = $55 taxes in. EcoDiesel oil change = $110 taxes in. EcoDiesel takes 12L of synthetic plus a filter that's fairly expensive.
Mike15 wrote: Buy the diesel if you like it, but you're never going to actually "save money" by paying more for it. Napkin math at 9l/100km vs. 13, $0.90 for diesel vs. $1.10 for 89 (Hemi recommended fuel, not regular), at 9600 highway km a year, is $620 annual fuel difference, probably less because in winter diesel and gas prices are closer together. Then there's around town to consider, but it's still taking you a long time to make up the extra up front.

I too would test the Pentastar to see if that works for you in terms of power and fuel savings.
I was looking between a Big Horn EcoDiesel, a Sport and a Laramie EcoDiesel. The Big Horn EcoDiesel and the Sport ended up being about the same price, and the Sport had more features. The Laramie was way more than what I wanted to pay.

I drive about 12,000KM-15,000KM a year. For me, the cost savings in fuel wasn't going to pay itself back until I've owned the truck 6+ years. YMMV but the Hemi is reasonably fuel efficient on the highway, and not bad in town, thanks to the 8-speed transmission. The funny part is my fuel cost is about the same monthly coming from a Forester XT (turbo)! The fact that I can run 87 and have double the number of gears means that my Forester is being matched by a V8 crew cab truck, haha. Plus, the power in the Hemi is almost intoxicating. It's the best sounding V8 in the full-size truck class IMO - the dual exhaust sounds a lot better than the Ford/GM/Toyota single outlet exhaust.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6654 posts
2258 upvotes
GTA
What's best deal on a Hemi with crew cab/4x4 anyone is seeing/bought recently?

I see Quad Cab 4x4 SLT at Islington on web deal asking 34k with hemi and an 8 speed.