Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1945 posts
1331 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…

Ramac - So good but so bad

My oldest attended a 'dorm cooking' her girl guides. They were learning how to make some meals using only a microwave or fridge. They did mac and cheese in the microwave. Then my youngest was watching some tic tok and there were different ramens. So we made a Ramac. The rule was everything had to be done in a microwave, and the ingredients would be things that they may have will away in college so no big elaborate things or in bulk. Made it less than 10 minutes.

Heated water in the microwave, then added the ramen to soften.
In another bowl, mixed a little corn starch and water, could probably use flour, heated it with some butter packs I got from tim's to smooth out, along with some little creamers milk creamers we also had from tim's, but could use real milk if that was in the dorm.
Added real cheese and heated it again. already had a little grated stuff left, added tablespoon of goat cheese that was looking sad, and a packet of individual cream cheese pack (no idea where it came from)
Drained the raman, kept a little water just in case and added it to the cheese sauce and mixed it around really well. I added some dried chives (from my garden), garlic powder, chilli flakes, pepper, and a little 1/4 pack of of soy sauce.

I had some random crab flakes that I have been trying to get rid of, so they went in too. We would add chopped up veg if we had some handy but we ate most of the leftovers. It was surprisingly good. I wouldn't eat like this normally, but we have been playing around at our house about with things that can be made while my kid is in a dorm without going out all the time.
Images
  • Ramac.PNG
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
5 replies
Oct 14, 2012
677 posts
403 upvotes
Woodstock
Depending on the dorm, students may be able to use a rice cooker and/or an induction burner and/or a toaster oven. With the last 2 you can make almost anything you can make at home. But even with just a rice cooker, you can make a surprising amount of things. (lots of internet recipes for rice cooker ideas.) It's worth checking with any college/uni residences what appliances are specifically allowed or banned. (At Seneca's residence, you can have a rice cooker, induction burner, and a toaster oven. You may need to provide a safe, sturdy small table to put appliances on as residence counter space can be very small.)

Many Ontario college and uni residences have switched to a mini suite layout: 2 (or more) separate bedrooms with a very small shared kitchenette and washroom. Full size fridge and micro provided.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1945 posts
1331 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
We are still more than 3 years away and have no clue where the kids will go. We figured a microwave and a common kitchen would be the minimum. My nephew school doesn’t allow anything that plugs. There was a ban on curling irons and iron because people were trying to cook with it.

When the time comes, if they go away for school, I will send a small insta pot if that’s allowed. This post was more of a fun challenge. I think I worry about mu kids eating well than they do.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6584 posts
3657 upvotes
Aurora
Nice. I'm happy to see kids learning basic cooking. It's an essential survival skill imo. When I was in U, I could barely boil water and certainly didn't know how to use cornstarch or flour.

My own take on cheesy intant noodles is even more basic. Instant noodles + Campbell's condensed Cream of Mushroom soup (but adding very little extra water) + whatever cheese I have (even melt a couple of slices of Kraft processed cheese on top). Quick 4 minute cheaters lunch for my son.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1945 posts
1331 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
DiceMan wrote: Nice. I'm happy to see kids learning basic cooking. It's an essential survival skill imo. When I was in U, I could barely boil water and certainly didn't know how to use cornstarch or flour.

My own take on cheesy intant noodles is even more basic. Instant noodles + Campbell's condensed Cream of Mushroom soup (but adding very little extra water) + whatever cheese I have (even melt a couple of slices of Kraft processed cheese on top). Quick 4 minute cheaters lunch for my son.
I didn’t learn to cook until I was done school (lived at home). Cream of mushroom soup was a favourite sauce for years until I learned how to make a roux. My kids are decent in the kitchen. It was in their best interest to learn as we had a rule that kids who weren’t able to help in the kitchen safety ended up on out house duty for an extra shift and the kids with the best kitchen skills didn’t have to clean up for camps.

We debated using processed cheese so it would be smoother and more orange In Color but my kids hate processed cheese. Even though we have time, I hope that if I can have them learn basic techniques with very little for a kitchen, maybe they will be somewhat self sufficient.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12130 posts
7010 upvotes
Markham
Macx2mommy wrote: I didn’t learn to cook until I was done school (lived at home). Cream of mushroom soup was a favourite sauce for years until I learned how to make a roux. My kids are decent in the kitchen. It was in their best interest to learn as we had a rule that kids who weren’t able to help in the kitchen safety ended up on out house duty for an extra shift and the kids with the best kitchen skills didn’t have to clean up for camps.

We debated using processed cheese so it would be smoother and more orange In Color but my kids hate processed cheese. Even though we have time, I hope that if I can have them learn basic techniques with very little for a kitchen, maybe they will be somewhat self sufficient.
I really encourage ppl to send the kids away to school if that is where the best school is for their field of interest. Eg. U of Waterloo for computers/Math/Accounting

I learned to cook while I studied in Waterloo. I used to use my VCR to record cooking shows (Wok with Yan, Yan Can Cook, Delia Smith, Madhur Jaffrey etc) whenever they were on TV as this was before the internet. Cooking and TV (daytime soaps) was my way of not studying. I ate well even back then because I didn't have to pay for utilities. Turning on the oven for some potatoes or roasting a whole bread stuffing Cornish Hen was no problem.

Kids have it so much easier now with YouTube etc.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!