31256 posts
17822 upvotes
Toronto
Reminds me of Kramer episode

Should push for criminal charges imo
Jan 30, 2017
854 posts
213 upvotes
The cherry on top is that she was driving on the left lane too!
Aug 6, 2017
808 posts
1380 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Reminds me of Kramer episode

Should push for criminal charges imo
"Listen to me. When that car rolls into that dealership, and that tank is bone dry, I want you to be there with me when everyone says, "Kramer and that other guy, oh, they went further to the left of the slash than anyone ever dreamed!"
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31588 posts
12878 upvotes
Mylocosta wrote: The cherry on top is that she was driving on the left lane too!
Exactly my first thought too.

However don't really get how a car "stops suddenly" from running out of gas. Yes it starts slowing quite abruptly but to cause a multi-car pileup? Ehhh no. Even light braking is far quicker a stop than just an engine turning off. People were following too closely for sure.

I doubt the charge would hold up in court if she hadn't admitted to knowingly running low on fuel. If she had just played dumb and said the car just stalled out and she doesn't know what happened, police might not have even looked into the fuel level in the car and the other drivers would probably have been charged lol. TBH I've never seen or heard of a rear-end crash where the police start checking the fuel level in the front car--just doesn't happen. Furthermore even if the fuel level is low they have next to no way of proving that is indeed why the car slowed down/stalled because even when a car "dies" from low gas there's still gas in the tank. The lady must have said she ran out of gas, willingly.

Now, I wonder what of EV drivers that might run out of charge with a similar thing occurring in the future?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31256 posts
17822 upvotes
Toronto
We just don’t know the exact details . Sometimes, that split second could result in such event.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2547 posts
1248 upvotes
Hometown
ES_Revenge wrote: Exactly my first thought too.

However don't really get how a car "stops suddenly" from running out of gas. Yes it starts slowing quite abruptly but to cause a multi-car pileup? Ehhh no. Even light braking is far quicker a stop than just an engine turning off. People were following too closely for sure.

I doubt the charge would hold up in court if she hadn't admitted to knowingly running low on fuel. If she had just played dumb and said the car just stalled out and she doesn't know what happened, police might not have even looked into the fuel level in the car and the other drivers would probably have been charged lol. TBH I've never seen or heard of a rear-end crash where the police start checking the fuel level in the front car--just doesn't happen. Furthermore even if the fuel level is low they have next to no way of proving that is indeed why the car slowed down/stalled because even when a car "dies" from low gas there's still gas in the tank. The lady must have said she ran out of gas, willingly.

Now, I wonder what of EV drivers that might run out of charge with a similar thing occurring in the future?
So now it is a law you can't get onto a road without enough gas? Cops are going to have a field day summoning records from any and all road side assistant programs at the end of each week from now on. For when they had to bring fuel to cars that ran out while they were on the road. Bingo, id the driver from the card and charge them all with careless via a letter in the mail. Quota reached and they don't even had to leave the squad room. Then they just have to let the courts figure it out in 4 yrs or so, when they get rid of the backlog. (Sarcasm folks settle down LOL)

She definitely cooked her own goose if she brought up the fuel issue. Why with 4 cars piling into her because they were following too close. What are the chances that her fuel system was not damaged in some way? Causing a leak even. If she had kept her pie hole closed she might have lawyered up. Then a competently smart lawyer could reasonably cast doubt. Who is to say that perhaps maybe the leak was there all along and THAT is what caused her to RUN out of fuel and stop... Just saying LOL

Driving with no insurance is inexcusable ever though and so she deserves whatever happens over that...
Deal Addict
May 2, 2017
1245 posts
1670 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Now, I wonder what of EV drivers that might run out of charge with a similar thing occurring in the future?
Unlike gas cars where the engine simply studders then shuts off suddenly when you run out of gas, an EV will start limiting power when you get down under 10% charge, then the closer you get to 0%, the lower the limit becomes. Eventually you'll get into a "turtle mode" where you won't be able to drive very fast at all. Might be limited to 60km/h, then 40km/h (depends on the car). Anyways, you'll have plenty of time to notice that your car is almost empty, this might happen over 20-30km or more of driving. Of course I'm sure some idiot will be sitting in the left lane doing 40km/h on turtle mode at some point without the sense to move over to the right and get off the highway to charge... ignoring the fact that their car has been slowing down gradually over the last 30km.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7160 posts
3626 upvotes
West GTEH!
ES_Revenge wrote: Exactly my first thought too.

Exactly. Car comes to a complete dead stop after running out of gas. Not possible.it would roll to a stop.

Some 20+ years, when I was young & invincible(LOL), I was driving home late at night and THOUGHT I had enough gas. My gas gauge was just past the “E”.
I figured I still had @8L and could make it to the Gas Station close to my House.
Nope, I miscalculated and ran out of gas. Lucky for me I was able to pull over onto the shoulder and I wasn’t far from an Off Ramp where there was a Gas Station close by.
Hard Lesson learned and now I NEVER let the Gas Gauge needle fall below the 1/4 mark.
😎
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
4988 posts
5745 upvotes
GTA
Something is missing from the story in that article. Cars don't suddenly stop when out of fuel. She would have had to do something else like slam on the brakes for that to happen.

Edit:
The OPP tweet says she stopped on the QEW and blocked the left lane which caused the pile up. No where does it say anything about a sudden stop. Seems to imply that her car was already stopped when the accident happened.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22901 posts
4378 upvotes
Toronto
Thinking prolly she ran out of gas, stopped and threw the car in park.

No hazards on so a dead car in the left live lane.

Boom!! 5 car pileup

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31256 posts
17822 upvotes
Toronto
Given we had this big snowstorm, the shoulders may not have been cleared properly, thus she could have simply no place y to o pull aside. Once stopped on a live lane, disaster was waiting to happen
Oct 21, 2006
972 posts
732 upvotes
prob didn't put on 4 way flash when she stopped. what a terrible situation to be in to cause a big pile up :(
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3914 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
booblehead wrote: Given we had this big snowstorm, the shoulders may not have been cleared properly, thus she could have simply no place y to o pull aside. Once stopped on a live lane, disaster was waiting to happen
Well, TBH she shouldn't even be on the highway with very little fuel. I mean unless she lives seconds from a highway, she probably passed some kind of gas station to get to the highway. Plus it's winter time, why would anyone want to drive a car with little gas? Eventually it's going to stop.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3914 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ES_Revenge wrote:
Regardless if the vehicle is ICE or EV, when the tank/charge is low, always fill it up!

She OTOH, has an advantage with ICE being that there are GAS STATIONS EVERYWHERE! She probably passed one on the way to the QEW..lol
Last edited by lamboman on Jan 23rd, 2022 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2885 posts
2256 upvotes
Markham
Wasn't Monday a good enough reminder in not running your tank this low in the winter? This is something my parents made sure to tell me when I was a young driver and yeah, you never know when a winter's day in the GTA can turn your commute from a 20 minute one into a 2 hour one.

I'm glad the moron got charged, perhaps this is why there's no insurance...
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
15117 posts
12501 upvotes
GTA, ON
Winter. Probs best to not let tank go below 50%
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1481 posts
1191 upvotes
Etobicoke
Canuck2fan wrote: So now it is a law you can't get onto a road without enough gas?
There is probably a section that states you must maintain the vehicle in a safe manor. . Not ensuring there is enough gas could fall under there
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31256 posts
17822 upvotes
Toronto
lamboman wrote: Well, TBH she shouldn't even be on the highway with very little fuel. I mean unless she lives seconds from a highway, she probably passed some kind of gas station to get to the highway. Plus it's winter time, why would anyone want to drive a car with little gas? Eventually it's going to stop.
Gas is way too expensive for her as evident that she does not even have valid insurance to begin with