Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 14, 2014
8 posts
3 upvotes
YORK

ran a yellow red light camera went off

went through the intersection at kipling and dixon, light turned red at about halfway through the intersection and I saw the flashes go off. will I get a ticket? My guess is I set off the trigger but the camera didnt catch anything.
19 replies
Feb 1, 2010
304 posts
73 upvotes
moneyhungry87 wrote: went through the intersection at kipling and dixon, light turned red at about halfway through the intersection and I saw the flashes go off. will I get a ticket? My guess is I set off the trigger but the camera didnt catch anything.
if the light turned red when you were halfway through the intersection, then you had enough time to come to a stop.
You ran a red light not a yellow light.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15087 posts
2678 upvotes
lol..
You went through an amber signal...not likely. If the camera was triggered, then you are getting that ticket.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1420 posts
323 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
Just so you know, you can also get a ticket for running an amber. I believe its around $180 and 3 points.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2012
2054 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto, ON
fivesolas wrote: if the light turned red when you were halfway through the intersection, then you had enough time to come to a stop.
You ran a red light not a yellow light.
Depending on road conditions, speed and other factors you cannot really conclude that.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2014
8 posts
3 upvotes
YORK
isnt there 3 pics taken? id assume one of them is of your car passing the first white line on a red....for me that pic wouldnt exist all they would have is my car more than halfway through the intersection which may not have caught my plates if running the amber was illegal theyd call it an amber light camera.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1860 posts
370 upvotes
Vancouver
If you were in the middle on a yellow, then it was taking a photo of the vehicle behind you. The camera only goes off when the light is red already before you enter the intersection. So it was either that the light was fully red, or that there was another vehicle behind you. But it would never go off on an amber.

There is also the possibility that you won't get a ticket. Sometimes the flash will go off, but no ticket will be sent out. Either the results are not good enough so they are discarded, or because you're the 3 in 4 that don't get a ticket this time around. From what I understand, they only send tickets to 25% of the vehicles that get caught.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2014
8 posts
3 upvotes
YORK
mofesto wrote: If you were in the middle on a yellow, then it was taking a photo of the vehicle behind you. The camera only goes off when the light is red already before you enter the intersection. So it was either that the light was fully red, or that there was another vehicle behind you. But it would never go off on an amber.

There is also the possibility that you won't get a ticket. Sometimes the flash will go off, but no ticket will be sent out. Either the results are not good enough so they are discarded, or because you're the 3 in 4 that don't get a ticket this time around. From what I understand, they only send tickets to 25% of the vehicles that get caught.
yeah my guess is that whoever views my file will look at it and say the case is too weak and it will be discarded. I hear they send you a detailed summary to show you how *****ed you are, in my case they would not be able to do that at best all they have is one pic of my car in the intersection and itll tell them how long the light was red for, and of course that when I entered the intersection the light was yellow. the smoking gun pic is of your car crossing the white line on a red. btw there were no cars crossing behind me however it is possible someone on the other side of the road in the opposite lane going to opposite direction ran a red.
Sep 25, 2010
237 posts
171 upvotes
If you're 100% you crossed the line on an amber you shouldn't get a ticket. I thought i ran an amber, not a red, got a ticket and turns out I crossed the line when the light was red for something like 0.05s. I fought it and managed to cut it from $320 to $15
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
10604 posts
4572 upvotes
Mississauga
AFG786 wrote: Depending on road conditions, speed and other factors you cannot really conclude that.
Yes you can. Amber lights last for 3 to 4 seconds. If road conditions were bad (i.e. icy, snowy) then OP wouldn't have been going fast, and therefore would have been able to stop in time. If road conditions were good, and OP was going fast, he wouldn't have seen the light turn red while in the intersection, if it turned amber just prior to OP entering the intersection. It would have had to have been amber for 2-2.5 seconds (or longer) prior to entering the intersection, for the OP to see it turn red. OP made the conscious decision to proceed through the intersection on a late amber...PERIOD.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3659 posts
799 upvotes
OP don't worry, you are safe!

Q Do the cameras photograph every vehicle passing through an intersection?

A The cameras are set so that only those vehicles that enter an intersection after the light has turned red are photographed. Vehicles that enter on yellow and are within the intersection when the light changes to red are not photographed. The program is intended to photograph vehicles that enter an intersection after the signal has turned red.

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/conte ... d60f89RCRD
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1663 upvotes
Aethean wrote: Just so you know, you can also get a ticket for running an amber. I believe its around $180 and 3 points.
I don't think you lose points if it's a red light camera, as they have no idea who's the driver. You just get a bill in the mail.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1964 posts
372 upvotes
Ottawa
You acquire points - not lose...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to feel smart - get stupid freinds...
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
360 upvotes
For red light camera ticket you don't get points or other penalty other than the fine.
There is no such thing as amber light camera, the camera is set to trigger after red light went on (almost 1 sec I guess). Also I think the camera is behind you because you may have no plate in front (like in QC)
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3371 posts
1341 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
why do some of you think that a red light camera ticket will get you points? do you guys have your driver's license number painted on your rear windows to allow for driver identification?
<removed>
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1264 posts
475 upvotes
Toronto
You won't get a ticket if you crossed the line and entered the intersection while the light was yellow. Red light camera tickets can only be valid if they can show definitively that you entered the intersection AFTER the light turned red. Also, it doesn't affect insurance. It's like a really expensive parking ticket. If you got a red light ticket from a cop though, then it would affect insurance and come with demerit points.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)