• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2018 4:57 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 3, 2017
413 posts
393 upvotes

Random google SMS

Received a random google verification code thru my phone about 20 minutes ago while walking the dog. Thing is I never requested it. Does this mean someone has managed to hack my google account? If so what can they do with it? The only thing I have a google email account for is you tube ( I think)
4 replies
[OP]
Jan 3, 2017
413 posts
393 upvotes
I just logged into my google account and looked at my recent security activity. It has no activity for at least a month, so why did i get a random verification code?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5799 upvotes
Burlington
Someone is registering an account with a wrong phone number?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4743 posts
2099 upvotes
GTA
It's possible someone knows your password, tried to login, and couldn't get past your second factor authentication.

I'm assuming that's what your verification code sms was. Do you actually have two factor authentication enabled?

I just tried logging into my own account and intentionally failing the second authentication. It doesn't show up in security activity. So, there's that. Assuming this is correct, I'd change your password.
Oct 12, 2005
277 posts
78 upvotes
Markham, ON
I have a Google account (not my main one) that people keep linking email addresses to it, as well as using it to buy stuff. I have no idea how or why they do that. It's quite bizarre.

If you do not have two factor authentication enabled, you definitely should. Google 2-Step Verification.