• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2021 9:57 pm
[OP]
Aug 30, 2002
86 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto

Random PVC pipe in backyard

I found a random PVC pipe in my backyard (uncapped) and another similar one in my basement storage room). I can’t figure out what is the purpose.

I also found a random metal pipe on the side wall.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Images
  • D4D9230A-E363-4DD1-B03D-596211B32799.jpeg
  • 48740842-93BA-47BF-81F8-E2C66ABFF31B.jpeg
  • B1B0229D-6E05-4D02-93FC-66BD7A349013.jpeg
18 replies
Feb 28, 2021
52 posts
37 upvotes
The steel pipe looks like one that would go to an old oil tank. Can’t speak for the abs pipes though.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4257 posts
2159 upvotes
The ABS pipe in the basement could have been for a bathtub or shower or laundry tub or something. Shine a light down and see if there is water in a p-trap?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8793 posts
1722 upvotes
Perhaps for some sort of sump pump?
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1703 posts
748 upvotes
Toronto
thebluegoat wrote: The steel pipe looks like one that would go to an old oil tank. Can’t speak for the abs pipes though.
This. You should take care of that and either remove it, or seal it off.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6638 posts
3608 upvotes
Mississauga
jacquesstrap wrote: You should take care of that and either remove it, or seal it off.
Good idea. Wouldn't be the first time a furnace oil delivery truck mistakenly tried to fill a non-existent tank and the homeowner ended up with a mini Exxon Valdez in the basement.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1300 posts
1021 upvotes
davey_au wrote: I found a random PVC pipe in my backyard (uncapped) and another similar one in my basement storage room). I can’t figure out what is the purpose.

I also found a random metal pipe on the side wall.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
How old is your subdivision? Are you in an urban or rural area?

The first pic is just a rough in for a future fixture like a sink or shower. Should probably make sure the trap has water in it so the sewer isnt filling up your house with nice gasses.

The second pipe is probably connected to something, who knows what.

The third pipe is probably just a conduit.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2002
86 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: Good idea. Wouldn't be the first time a furnace oil delivery truck mistakenly tried to fill a non-existent tank and the homeowner ended up with a mini Exxon Valdez in the basement.
Ok sounds good. I'll make sure to cap off the steel one.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2002
86 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: How old is your subdivision? Are you in an urban or rural area?

The first pic is just a rough in for a future fixture like a sink or shower. Should probably make sure the trap has water in it so the sewer isnt filling up your house with nice gasses.

The second pipe is probably connected to something, who knows what.

The third pipe is probably just a conduit.
Not a subdivision - house is built in the 70s in Etobicoke. Based on the suggestions I'll see if there's water in the pipe in the basement.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17103 posts
14499 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Pic # 2 ... Pipe in the backyard
makes me think of the piece of rubber pipe / hose often found round the base of new trees / saplings
(Aka ... Tree Guard )

Maybe there was a tree there ... that is no more ?

https://www.grca.on.ca/wp-content/uploa ... trgrds.pdf
Or
2nd pic on this pg = https://www.gardenmyths.com/sunscald-trees-prevention/

Have you tried pulling / digging it out ?
Oct 14, 2012
706 posts
443 upvotes
Woodstock
Could the 'pipe' in the grass be part of the anchor for an "umbrella" style clothes line? Maybe put a bamboo stick down it to see how deep it goes?
[OP]
Aug 30, 2002
86 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
BetCrooks wrote: Could the 'pipe' in the grass be part of the anchor for an "umbrella" style clothes line? Maybe put a bamboo stick down it to see how deep it goes?
Hmmmm....clothesline or tree support. Never thought of those. I’ll try to get the depth this week and see.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4627 posts
1986 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Is your electrical panel near that metal conduit in the 3rd photo? To me it looks like a conduit that could have been for the service at some point in time and maybe abandoned after an upgrade.
[OP]
Aug 30, 2002
86 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
ChicoQuente wrote: Is your electrical panel near that metal conduit in the 3rd photo? To me it looks like a conduit that could have been for the service at some point in time and maybe abandoned after an upgrade.
Yes it’s close to the panel. Good point. Perhaps conduit. I’ll cap off regardless!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4627 posts
1986 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
davey_au wrote: Yes it’s close to the panel. Good point. Perhaps conduit. I’ll cap off regardless!
Oh yeah I would definitely cap it no matter what.

If you have a 200A service in your home I would definitely say this was a conduit from your old service.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7462 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
We had two of them identical to #2 in our backyard when me moved in, about two feet apart.. A few years later when we landscaped I finally ended up digging them out, only went about 8 inches deep. No idea what they were used for.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5947 posts
4255 upvotes
jacquesstrap wrote: This. You should take care of that and either remove it, or seal it off.
This. I know someone who went from an oil furnace to electric. They lefte the pipe from the ouside to the tanks(tank been unmounted) unlocked. Oil delivery man delivered oil at the wrong address.... many many liters of oil in the basement. Insurance issues. Contaminated basement. Case still in court after several years, a lot of headaches for just a tiny lock on a cap....
[OP]
Aug 30, 2002
86 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
frogger wrote: We had two of them identical to #2 in our backyard when me moved in, about two feet apart.. A few years later when we landscaped I finally ended up digging them out, only went about 8 inches deep. No idea what they were used for.
Interesting. Maybe I’ll take a shovel to it this weekend to see how far it goes.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4627 posts
1986 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
frogger wrote: We had two of them identical to #2 in our backyard when me moved in, about two feet apart.. A few years later when we landscaped I finally ended up digging them out, only went about 8 inches deep. No idea what they were used for.
davey_au wrote: Interesting. Maybe I’ll take a shovel to it this weekend to see how far it goes.
I’d guess something like that was a home owner using it to hold something in place. I have a couple in my yard that I smashed in to the ground to hold up some hooks for bird feeders. I found the shepherds hooks I had did not hold well enough in the ground to handle wind days so I smashed a couple 1/2” conduits 8” down (in my case I made them flush so they aren’t a tripping hazard when nothing is in them) and put the shepherd hooks in to them. They are much sturdier as a result.