• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2017 11:13 am
[OP]
Sep 1, 2006
97 posts
30 upvotes

Range hood (Chimney style) help

Hi,

Been doing research on range hoods and visited a bunch of stores in Markham/Scarborough in the last few days. I know Sakura/Pacific are the most popular brands for Asian cooking but I would prefer a baffle filter as it seems easier to clean and doesn't trap lint/dust etc. However I haven't seen any chimney wall mount style hoods from Sakura/Pacific with baffle filters. Is it better to just buy from these two brands and live with the mesh filters, or go with another brand like Crown where there are more options with baffle filters?

Requirements:
Chimney wall mount range hood (pyramid shape)
~700 CFM
Baffle filter
6" duct
30" wide

Thanks in advance!
8 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
34095 posts
7704 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I had a Pacific, it works great as a range hood. The problem is, they're a pain to clean.

Baffle filters looks like a lot of work also. I suggest you look at Vent a Hood. I purchased a 600 CFM unit but was told it was equivalent to 900 CFM. It does use an 8" duct, so I needed an 8" to 6" pipe.

What I like about this unit, very easy to clean
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3069 posts
1681 upvotes
Mississauga
suppi wrote: Hi,

Been doing research on range hoods and visited a bunch of stores in Markham/Scarborough in the last few days. I know Sakura/Pacific are the most popular brands for Asian cooking but I would prefer a baffle filter as it seems easier to clean and doesn't trap lint/dust etc. However I haven't seen any chimney wall mount style hoods from Sakura/Pacific with baffle filters. Is it better to just buy from these two brands and live with the mesh filters, or go with another brand like Crown where there are more options with baffle filters?

Requirements:
Chimney wall mount range hood (pyramid shape)
~700 CFM
Baffle filter
6" duct
30" wide

Thanks in advance!
https://www.costco.ca/Valore-Summit-II- ... Ocmg%3D%3D
[OP]
Sep 1, 2006
97 posts
30 upvotes
Gee wrote: I had a Pacific, it works great as a range hood. The problem is, they're a pain to clean.

Baffle filters looks like a lot of work also. I suggest you look at Vent a Hood. I purchased a 600 CFM unit but was told it was equivalent to 900 CFM. It does use an 8" duct, so I needed an 8" to 6" pipe.

What I like about this unit, very easy to clean
Thanks for sharing your experience. Vent a hood seems over budget (looking for $1k or less) otherwise I would totally go that route.
Mar 31, 2017
95 posts
45 upvotes
I have the Sakura M-2000. It’s not exactly a baffle filter but its very easy to clean. You can just take the filters out and clean them in the dishwasher.
Temp. Banned
Apr 6, 2016
277 posts
9 upvotes
suppi wrote: Thanks for sharing your experience. Vent a hood seems over budget (looking for $1k or less) otherwise I would totally go that route.
I found a used vent a hood and it is still going strong
Dec 15, 2013
183 posts
37 upvotes
TORONTO
suppi wrote: Thanks for sharing your experience. Vent a hood seems over budget (looking for $1k or less) otherwise I would totally go that route.
Check out www.kitchenhoods.ca. They are within your budget and come with baffle filters. I ordered from them 6 months ago and so far so good. Shipping is free.