• Jul 15th, 2020 9:33 am
[OP]
Apr 19, 2018
350 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough

Range Hood Insert >900 cfm

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a range hood insert for my kitchen. I have ruled out the Vent-a-hood due to the cleaning issues i've read with their magic lung technology. We use a Wok a few times a week so the rangehood must be strong. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Don't worry be happy - Bob
10 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12775 posts
7467 upvotes
Brampton
900CFM....

Are you going to open a window when you use it? Because you're going to have a lot of back drafts thru all your vented appliances.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4360 posts
25658 upvotes
What cleaning issues are you referring to re: vent-a-hood? I have one and love it. Make sure your ducting is proper size because standard ducting sizes are not recommended and cleaning is super easy.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12775 posts
7467 upvotes
Brampton
t3359 wrote: I figured 600 cfm should be good enough... but google suggests 900-1200 - *gasp*

bjl
Most people don't even have enough space for a big enough opening that could handle 400CFM let alone 900-1200CFM.
Think about it your HVAC system is around 2000-3000 CFM, and how big is that duct work?

There's also the factor that you can't just vent it all outside, something has to come in to make up for that air you pumped out.
It's either dangerously back drafting thru your HWT or fireplace or sucking in unconditioned air thru your cracks in the house contributing to poor air quality.

CFM is just 1 factor in a good venthood.
You need a good design that captures all the fumes and vents it out. Vent-a-hood is often recommended because of the design of the hood not raw CFM rating.
Sure it's capable of 900CFM but it's not something you should count on using all the time. Most people I know use it on low and they could be wok frying pork during CNY.

The typical high CFM "Chinese" (Cyclone / Sakura) range hoods aren't really that great and they're loud.
Everyone I know that has one still has some grease problems, and it's pain to clean.

Everyone I Know that has a vent-a-hood doesn't have the same issues. Vent-a-hood also has specifications for how it's to be installed which many of the other brands don't talk about, which contributes to a lack of issues.

You want next to no bends/elbows large short run directly outside. Bends decrease air speed and gives the grease a place to build up. Also you don't want the pipe to cool before it gets outside.

The latest range hood that i'm most impressed by is an asian brand but it's non-typical and relatively expensive.
https://www.amazon.ca/FOTILE-JQG7501-Ca ... B01MXEV2G3

Comes in a couple different brands because it's from Asia but it's very quiet and can be quite powerful.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1543 posts
801 upvotes
what is the cleaning issue with the vent a hood? I have one with a 8" duct, and cleaning it isnt bad.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
[OP]
Apr 19, 2018
350 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
tebore wrote: Most people don't even have enough space for a big enough opening that could handle 400CFM let alone 900-1200CFM.
Think about it your HVAC system is around 2000-3000 CFM, and how big is that duct work?

There's also the factor that you can't just vent it all outside, something has to come in to make up for that air you pumped out.
It's either dangerously back drafting thru your HWT or fireplace or sucking in unconditioned air thru your cracks in the house contributing to poor air quality.

CFM is just 1 factor in a good venthood.
You need a good design that captures all the fumes and vents it out. Vent-a-hood is often recommended because of the design of the hood not raw CFM rating.
Sure it's capable of 900CFM but it's not something you should count on using all the time. Most people I know use it on low and they could be wok frying pork during CNY.

The typical high CFM "Chinese" (Cyclone / Sakura) range hoods aren't really that great and they're loud.
Everyone I know that has one still has some grease problems, and it's pain to clean.

Everyone I Know that has a vent-a-hood doesn't have the same issues. Vent-a-hood also has specifications for how it's to be installed which many of the other brands don't talk about, which contributes to a lack of issues.

You want next to no bends/elbows large short run directly outside. Bends decrease air speed and gives the grease a place to build up. Also you don't want the pipe to cool before it gets outside.

The latest range hood that i'm most impressed by is an asian brand but it's non-typical and relatively expensive.
https://www.amazon.ca/FOTILE-JQG7501-Ca ... B01MXEV2G3

Comes in a couple different brands because it's from Asia but it's very quiet and can be quite powerful.

Maybe the issues i've heard about ventahood are concentrated to those who did not have it installed correctly. Essentially, what i've heard is that that is difficult to clean and isn't as reliable as other brands such as Bertazzoni or Sirius.

Are you able to share the cost of both the unit and the intall that you incurred for your Vent-a-hood?

MB
[OP]
Apr 19, 2018
350 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
Not always, but i would crack the window open when it is on at it's highest setting. Likely when grilling or something.
[OP]
Apr 19, 2018
350 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
ziaa wrote: what is the cleaning issue with the vent a hood? I have one with a 8" duct, and cleaning it isnt bad.
I've heard that it is difficult in general to clean and prone to breaking down. How long have you had yours?

MB
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1543 posts
801 upvotes
Prestonxavier wrote: I've heard that it is difficult in general to clean and prone to breaking down. How long have you had yours?

MB
6 years now for me. I never had any break downs. I do a full cleaning once a year (take housing off fans). I wipe grease off the tray every few months. I will agree that cleaning is more intensive, as you cannot take filters off and toss them in the dishwasher. My parents have had theirs for about 12 years now, and its still working too.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4360 posts
25658 upvotes
ziaa wrote: 6 years now for me. I never had any break downs. I do a full cleaning once a year (take housing off fans). I wipe grease off the tray every few months. I will agree that cleaning is more intensive, as you cannot take filters off and toss them in the dishwasher. My parents have had theirs for about 12 years now, and its still working too.
I’ve also had mine for 12+ years bought it because i loved the clean asthetics and high cfm but also because I was going 36” and upgraded all my builder appliances before I moved in so I had to make sure the builder created a vent hole bug enough based on the vent-a-hood recommendations as we cleaning is super easy.

You can go next level and the commercial grates like how the restaurants have them.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)