Home & Garden

Range of pricing for a concrete patio/walkway...

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2018 12:38 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1933 posts
593 upvotes

Range of pricing for a concrete patio/walkway...

So I've been calling around a few contractors for a concrete walkway/patio (recommendations from friends and companies from HomeStars)... The total square footage isn't really that big, it's around 600 ish sqft and my property isn't on any kind of crazy grading. I've gotten quotes around $7K-$8K ish. I got a call back yesterday from one of the reputable HomeStars companies and they told me that is basically "cost" and that I'd be looking at around $20K for the job (blah blah about coming to the house to get a better idea but that was his 'ballpark'). I was pretty floored with this... I understand that the reputable companies on HomeStars usually have a bit of a premium attached to them as I've used similar contractors for other things around the house before but this was more than double the prices I'd seen otherwise.

I understand these guys are all trying to make money and might see me as a cash cow, etc, but can someone give me an idea of whether this guy is really overselling his product or not?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3560 posts
1799 upvotes
Mississauga
600 sqft is almost a driveway?.. so that's a big walkway.

I did my walkway 150sqft and porch 6x4 and 3 steps in pattern concerte in 2010 with a contractor got by word of mouth... paid 7K. I called the big companies and it was 12K for aggregate or 15K for stamped.

What's important is the underlay + wire mesh used and psi of concrete... and make sure they have the fiberglass in it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1933 posts
593 upvotes
TLSRULZ wrote: 600 sqft is almost a driveway?.. so that's a big walkway.

I did my walkway 150sqft and porch 6x4 and 3 steps in pattern concerte in 2010 with a contractor got by word of mouth... paid 7K. I called the big companies and it was 12K for aggregate or 15K for stamped.

What's important is the underlay + wire mesh used and psi of concrete... and make sure they have the fiberglass in it.
Yeah to simplify my post.. It's basically a combination of things that I'm trying to get... I've got steps in front of my house so I want something poured there in front of it (entrance way), then the path along the side of my house into the backyard, then a backyard patio... Imagine a blocky C shape.

I'm still reading about all the prep work required but wouldn't mind learning more... I understand there's a few things to put in underneath the concrete after excavation, but I've seen varying things. Do I need to worry about organic growth underneath? Not sure if that's only an interlock/paver thing...
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12159 posts
7350 upvotes
Paris
malaujai wrote: Yeah to simplify my post.. It's basically a combination of things that I'm trying to get... I've got steps in front of my house so I want something poured there in front of it (entrance way), then the path along the side of my house into the backyard, then a backyard patio... Imagine a blocky C shape.
Thats much worse than a driveway as there is more forming and prep work. $8-15 per square is my normal rough idea. You would be closer to $15 for this.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3560 posts
1799 upvotes
Mississauga
Also how think will the concrete be at the lowest point. I ask for a Min 6".... mine I did 8" with 4" of gravel base.

Also a tip. If your considering a shed get your guy to also put 10x10pad.. usually 1K.. as it harder to find someone later to come do just that..
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19756 posts
23179 upvotes
GTA
OP, one of the guys who came to quote my walkway drove up in a Rolls Royce Phantom, so they're making plenty of profit in their work.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1870 posts
1312 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: OP, one of the guys who came to quote my walkway drove up in a Rolls Royce Phantom, so they're making plenty of profit in their work.
Lol... I wouldn't hire someone who pulled up in a Phantom unless i drove one as well. Otherwise the quote is too rich for me.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7650 posts
3443 upvotes
For that price, forget the concrete and get some nice stone laid. Concrete is....concrete.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1870 posts
1312 upvotes
Toronto
Toukolou wrote: For that price, forget the concrete and get some nice stone laid. Concrete is....concrete.
Stone requires more maintenance though (ie. Weeds at the joints or polymeric sand every couple years)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7650 posts
3443 upvotes
VertigoM wrote: Stone requires more maintenance though (ie. Weeds at the joints or polymeric sand every couple years)
Done right, not really. We had ours done about 4 years ago, so far not a single weed and I haven't added anything.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2624 posts
1615 upvotes
Alliston, ON
VertigoM wrote: Stone requires more maintenance though (ie. Weeds at the joints or polymeric sand every couple years)
Concrete can crack.... How do you fix that easily?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1933 posts
593 upvotes
Got a quote for around $12 per sqft yesterday... Waiting on the formal quote with all the itemized details