• Sep 10th, 2020 9:21 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3670 posts
308 upvotes
Thornhill

Rant about Sportchek and Voiding of warranty on bike

Oh man I am livid right now. So sorry if sentences don't make sense.

I purchased a bike off of Sportchek on May 22 and received delivery within 2 weeks. I got an email from Sportchek advising how to assemble the bike. It's pretty straightforward so I did it myself. Fast forward a few weeks I develop a creak when I put torque on the pedals ok no problem take it to Sportchek since bike is under warranty.

They say since I assembled it that I voided my warranty. So you sent me an email saying how to assemble the bike, you don't mention anywhere about it Voiding my warranty if I do assemble it myself. I've never been as pissed as I was in that store (the floor manager was being an ass to everyone so that didn't help either). Told them to f off and walked out.

I called into the CS line, one lady told me that is correct the warranty is void if you assemble it. I referenced her to the email I got from Sportchek. She put me on hold to check and conveniently hung up on me.

I am beyond pissed. I am sure if I dig hard enough on their site it is stated that warranty is void if I assemble it. But come on, make it visible don't allow shipping to ones house if I gotta lug that damn box to the store to assemble it and keep the warranty.

Going to end up paying out of pocket at a local place to get the bike looked at and fixed.
Images
  • Screenshot_20200805-193427.jpg
12 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3670 posts
308 upvotes
Thornhill
Creaking when I put torque or weight on the pedals. Greased the pedals no change. Ordered a set of decent pedals off of Amazon going to try that before I take it to a shop
Mar 31, 2019
144 posts
98 upvotes
Creak or click? Does it only make the sound when you push down on the crank?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3670 posts
308 upvotes
Thornhill
canucks6024 wrote: Creak or click? Does it only make the sound when you push down on the crank?
Creak and yes when I push down on the crank. Checked handle bar, suspension everything. It's either the pedals or crank
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1783 posts
252 upvotes
It's the bottom bracket creaking. What bike? It's probably press fit, they creak pretty often.

Try This
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1076 posts
543 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like a bottom bracket problem.

A lot of bikes get delivered to people who assemble them. This is the first time I've heard of a warranty being voided if you assemble the bike yourself.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12518 posts
1978 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
In today's world, it's all about social media if you want to get things done.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3563 posts
303 upvotes
Leuven
I feel like this must be a case of a policy not being updated with the reality of the current situation. From the email you posted it looks like it wasn't even an option to have them assemble it, so it would be crazy for them to void the warranty on you for doing it yourself.

Any update to their response though?
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2003
2178 posts
216 upvotes
I also bought my bike when everything was closed and assembled it myself and had the exact same issue. Creaking sound coming from the crank. I took it to the Cachet location in Markham. The only question they asked me was "have you owned the bike for less than a year?". I did not have to show proof of purchase or anything. They fixed the bike, did a full inspection and lubed everything.

It's my sons GT Avalanche Sport. I've been riding it on my local trail almost everyday. It's held up well. The pedals were falling apart and I replaced them with $14 Chester ripoffs from China. Pedals are great and have held up very well. The indexing on the rear derailleur needs adjusting every week it feels like. Other than that for the money (got it 25% during F&F event) the bike is solid and I have no complaints.