• May 14th, 2015 11:56 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 21, 2008
735 posts
106 upvotes
Montreal

RANT : Staples price gouging ...

EDIT : the price change, correct this post, and BTW, for those interested, I bought one out of Amazon.ca ... but still, this price difference is ridiculous!

Yeah, just a random rant about how we (Canadians) are getting screwed over by big retailers ...

I was shopping around for some corner punch (custom CAH deck) I accidentally started shopping on staples.COM instead of .CA

Went to .CA when I realized it and then I found this :

Staples US Fiskar punch (300547) : 10.89USD

Staples Canada Fiskar punch (300547) : 8̶3̶.̶1̶5̶CAD now 43.39CAD

No, it's not a typo on my part, this simple punch is 7.6 times the price in Canada ... YAY :mad:

EDIT : thanks to the mods for moving the thread, since it was mostly a rant to vent my frustration I thought it fitted more the off-topic section!
48 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge
Jimboski wrote: Move to the USA, easy.
Why would u give such a ridiculous answer to Jalmir's question? First its not Easy nor cheap to move to the USA, that would be the worst/last advice to give him or her.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25154 posts
2330 upvotes
Markham, ON
Stronzo1 wrote: Why would u give such a ridiculous answer to Jalmir's question? First its not Easy nor cheap to move to the USA, that would be the worst/last advice to give him or her.
because it's likely a discounted product...it's out of stock in Canada
Jul 16, 2009
706 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
Canadians as a whole need to boycott ALL retailers until they drop prices. Imagine if we all stopped purchasing non-essentials for even one week... the loses for retailers would be monumental.

I can dream.. can't I?
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25154 posts
2330 upvotes
Markham, ON
badsha wrote: cheaper one is sold by amazon while the other one is sold by 3rd party
i just wanted to point out that there we options...and don t have to accept the $83 out of stock product.

Probably other places to check out like Michaels and grab one of those 40% off coupons.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4331 upvotes
How am I supposed to see the prices when I don't have a US zip code?
[OP]
Feb 21, 2008
735 posts
106 upvotes
Montreal
thanks, I had already found these, I was just looking if Staples had any in stock at a reasonable price, when I saw it was 11$ on Staples US I was expecting to find it at 20-30$ on the Canadian site, not 83$ !!!

Thank you for thinking so highly of me, but I don't think I have that much influence, I doubt that me moving to the US would result in Staples reviewing their Canadian prices VS their US prices... but again, thanks for thinking I had that much influence on a corporation that big!!! :)
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1025 upvotes
With U.S. online ordering its easier than that. Buy from Amazon.com, eBay's Global Shipment program, Barnes and Noble.com or Overstock.com and all taxes and duties are included upon checkout.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
danb wrote: Canadians as a whole need to boycott ALL retailers until they drop prices. Imagine if we all stopped purchasing non-essentials for even one week... the loses for retailers would be monumental.

I can dream.. can't I?
Then they all can run from Canadian markets like Target did and Canadians are going to be left with holding an empty bag.

If WalMart, Costco are closing shops here, you bet Loblaws with no competition are going to rise grocery prices 2x just like Bhell and the wireless industry.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
danb wrote: Canadians as a whole need to boycott ALL retailers until they drop prices. Imagine if we all stopped purchasing non-essentials for even one week... the loses for retailers would be monumental.

I can dream.. can't I?
You go first. If you've purchased anything in the last week you're a hypocrite.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1025 upvotes
TheRed wrote: .
If WalMart, Costco are closing shops here, you bet Loblaws with no competition are going to rise grocery prices 2x just like Bhell and the wireless industry.
This is true. Loblaws has become the Bell of the retail industry.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20558 posts
9074 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like a pricing error. No way a whole puncher is $83 unless it's made of gold.
Jul 16, 2009
706 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
TheRed wrote: Then they all can run from Canadian markets like Target did and Canadians are going to be left with holding an empty bag.

Why is the world would they run from Canada? The reason Target came to Canada is because TARGET wanted a piece of the overpriced pie. Why would a retailer shut down and move out when they are making a killing in Canada?
Jul 16, 2009
706 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
Cas77 wrote: You go first. If you've purchased anything in the last week you're a hypocrite.
Didn't I say non-essentials? There are weeks I don't buy anything but food...