Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11125 posts
1267 upvotes

RANT: Websites who don't list prices online

I can't stand it when stores don't list prices on products and instead ask you to "call" or "email". Obviously you don't encounter this for things you would buy at futureshop or something, but I see it all the time looking for more specialized equipment or services.

Just recently I emailed a restaurant supplier asking for a quote for various sizes of a certain brand of cutting boards. They replied back with an attached PDF listing their most popular sizes, then asked me which sizes I was interested in and they will get back to me with a quote. JFC.....I already had to wait a couple days for them to get back to me and they still can't give me a quote...so I ordered immediately from a US supplier instead who puts prices on the website. I wanted to order locally, which is why I even asked them for a quote in the first place. Usually I just immediately leave the website if I can't find a price and move onto the next. I've passed over dozens of companies over the years who don't list prices and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I don't know why this makes my blood boil as much as it does...I get that its not always the same price due to options and stuff...at least put the minimum price so you know at least what price level you are at and I don't waste my time when it is clearly out of my price range. Notice I didn't say waste "our" time? Thats because they want to use the opportunity to get your name and email and phone contact information.

!@*(&$#(&$

There is another local toronto boutique store that does this. I actually like this store and the owner so thats why I won't say what he sells, but one time I emailed asking for some prices and then he asked me to come into the store and we can talk about it. I don't mind going into his store and chatting when I'm in the area or something, but if I just want to know how much something costs i don't want to go to downtown Toronto to do so, not all of us live downtown. I also ended up buying online and from the states for that purchase.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19738 posts
12861 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
slowtyper wrote: so I ordered immediately from a US supplier instead who puts prices on the website.
Bingo! We have a winner.

If you resent stores that don't list their prices online then just move on. If you want to vent, send an e-mail to that store advising them that they just lost $xxx in sales because of their policy when you took your business elsewhere.

See... That was easy ;)

P.S. No need to feel sorry for stores that do this. Either their management know what they're doing or they'll suffer the consequences.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5003 posts
2184 upvotes
slowtyper wrote: I can't stand it when stores don't list prices on products and instead ask you to "call" or "email". Obviously you don't encounter this for things you would buy at futureshop or something, but I see it all the time looking for more specialized equipment or services.

Just recently I emailed a restaurant supplier asking for a quote for various sizes of a certain brand of cutting boards. They replied back with an attached PDF listing their most popular sizes, then asked me which sizes I was interested in and they will get back to me with a quote. JFC.....I already had to wait a couple days for them to get back to me and they still can't give me a quote...so I ordered immediately from a US supplier instead who puts prices on the website. I wanted to order locally, which is why I even asked them for a quote in the first place. Usually I just immediately leave the website if I can't find a price and move onto the next. I've passed over dozens of companies over the years who don't list prices and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I don't know why this makes my blood boil as much as it does...I get that its not always the same price due to options and stuff...at least put the minimum price so you know at least what price level you are at and I don't waste my time when it is clearly out of my price range. Notice I didn't say waste "our" time? Thats because they want to use the opportunity to get your name and email and phone contact information.

!@*(&$#(&$

There is another local toronto boutique store that does this. I actually like this store and the owner so thats why I won't say what he sells, but one time I emailed asking for some prices and then he asked me to come into the store and we can talk about it. I don't mind going into his store and chatting when I'm in the area or something, but if I just want to know how much something costs i don't want to go to downtown Toronto to do so, not all of us live downtown. I also ended up buying online and from the states for that purchase.

As far as physical products are concerned, The reason they do this is because they want you to come into their store, and they want to avoid online price shopping
Their website is for advertisement of their products, and nothing more, so they don't post prices, as the prices could possibly change and they don't want to update it with new prices constantly,
and they feel that they have a better chance at you buying something if you are in the store instead of price shopping online

As far as services are concerned there are many reason not to post prices, check out this link that pertains specifically to freelance work, but it pretty universal and gives some pretty good insight as to why pricing for service based products etc. is not posted online
http://freelancefolder.com/pros-and-con ... rice-list/
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2005
1426 posts
452 upvotes
I know why they do it, but I also get annoyed by it. Typically, if the prices are not listed I'll immediately move on to another company which does list prices, unless there is some particular reason why I can't.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5038 posts
1602 upvotes
Dont give your business to places like that. They will eventually disappear.