Pets

Rant - Yelled at guy who didn't pick up his dog's poop

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2020 1:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 10, 2011
9479 posts
2013 upvotes
Somewhere

Rant - Yelled at guy who didn't pick up his dog's poop

Yesterday, I was out for an evening walk around my neighborhood. Walked past this old(ish) man with his dog. Had a button shirt, halfway undone. Lit cigarette in his mouth and talking into his phone on loudspeaker.

When I walked by, his dog was taking a poop on the grass next to the sidewalk. I noticed the man watched his dog poop, then just continued on his walk without picking it up.

I was semi-shocked and I'm not usually a confrontational type, but I then said (in a loud-ish voice), "are you going to pick up your dog's shit?"

I was upset because of COVID, people walk often on the grass besides the sidewalk to social distance from other people walking, and I'd hate it if someone stepped on the poop.

The guy turned around and said "oh, I forgot the bags". Pretend to rummage in his pockets. So I said, "Well, find something to pick it up with?".. and he said, "relax, I live around here, I'll come back for it". Then he just walked away.

I don't know what else I could have said or done at that point. I'm not going to pick it up myself and smear it on him. I considered following him, seeing where he lives, then report it to someone. But I don't even know who to report to or if they'll do anything about it.

Sorry for the rant, makes me upset there are selfish people like this. Sigh.
:confused:
23 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
13368 posts
8340 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Image
iEyeCaptain wrote: Yesterday, I was out for an evening walk around my neighborhood. Walked past this old(ish) man with his dog. Had a button shirt, halfway undone. Lit cigarette in his mouth and talking into his phone on loudspeaker.

When I walked by, his dog was taking a poop on the grass next to the sidewalk. I noticed the man watched his dog poop, then just continued on his walk without picking it up.

I was semi-shocked and I'm not usually a confrontational type, but I then said (in a loud-ish voice), "are you going to pick up your dog's shit?"

I was upset because of COVID, people walk often on the grass besides the sidewalk to social distance from other people walking, and I'd hate it if someone stepped on the poop.

The guy turned around and said "oh, I forgot the bags". Pretend to rummage in his pockets. So I said, "Well, find something to pick it up with?".. and he said, "relax, I live around here, I'll come back for it". Then he just walked away.

I don't know what else I could have said or done at that point. I'm not going to pick it up myself and smear it on him. I considered following him, seeing where he lives, then report it to someone. But I don't even know who to report to or if they'll do anything about it.

Sorry for the rant, makes me upset there are selfish people like this. Sigh.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 29, 2002
5028 posts
1510 upvotes
Vancouver
i saw someone walk their dog and it pooped in front of someone elses house and picked it up and threw away in that person's garbage bin
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
13620 posts
3678 upvotes
Montréal
Imagine how much better the world would be if some superhero went around mass-killing ppl like that? LOL. I'd throw in ppl downvoting indisputable YT videos like those showing ppl rescuing puppies from burning houses, helping elderly crossing the street, etc.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5127 posts
1927 upvotes
Toronto
hesp wrote: i saw someone walk their dog and it pooped in front of someone elses house and picked it up and threw away in that person's garbage bin
That's pretty common (I'm assuming here that they bagged it before throwing it in the garbage). I'm sure there's a lot of people who honestly haven't thought someone might not like it, same with throwing a candy wrapper or something in the nearest garbage bin after you finish eating.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6371 posts
1203 upvotes
hesp wrote: i saw someone walk their dog and it pooped in front of someone elses house and picked it up and threw away in that person's garbage bin
I’d rather people pick it up and toss it in my garbage bin rather than not pick it up because they couldn’t be bothered carrying it. I do it seldomly on green waste day and always make sure it’s properly knotted.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 1, 2015
763 posts
434 upvotes
Scxm Free Zone
Some condo complexes have bins specially for dog poop yet they don't clean up and things overflow. Gross af
Zoomer Wireless happy new customer:
800 mins + 5G LTE data for $36 + $100 new activation credit + $50 credit

Do your part to end the monopoly. Every little bit helps.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
13620 posts
3678 upvotes
Montréal
amz155 wrote: I’d rather people pick it up and toss it in my garbage bin rather than not pick it up because they couldn’t be bothered carrying it. I do it seldomly on green waste day and always make sure it’s properly knotted.
I guess so…but I dunno how ppl think it's alright to go into other ppl's stuff, I personally would not feel right about that and uncomfy, but some ppl have thick skin. Just carry it to a public trashbin, are ppl really so lazy and inconsiderate?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6371 posts
1203 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: I guess so…but I dunno how ppl think it's alright to go into other ppl's stuff, I personally would not feel right about that and uncomfy, but some ppl have thick skin. Just carry it to a public trashbin, are ppl really so lazy and inconsiderate?
Not sure how tossing something into a garbage bin or green bin that doesn’t have a lid is ‘going into’ other people’s stuff. Maybe your neighbourhood is more uppity than mine, idk.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
13620 posts
3678 upvotes
Montréal
amz155 wrote: Not sure how tossing something into a garbage bin or green bin that doesn’t have a lid is ‘going into’ other people’s stuff. Maybe your neighbourhood is more uppity than mine, idk.
Nothing about being 'uppity', just respecting other ppl's property/boundaries, etc. How about not touching their stuff w your literal crap and throw it away properly? How is this a foreign concept?? It's irrelevant that it's 'tied up nicely', it's still unwelcomed unless the dude has a sign "pls, put your dog crap in my trash!"…or are you saying ppl have to do the opposite w signs "don't put stuff in my trash!" so you'd obey, but that's doubtful anyway as these ppl are selfish and don't care about others. Plus Im pretty sure lots of these violators don't only put in trash w/o lids and just toss them inside regardless…you think a lid is gonna stop them disrespecting other ppl's boundaries? Don't many trashbins sold by the cities come w lids? Anyway, that's not the real pt.

Just common sense and courtesy to NOT do that stuff. Incredible some ppl don't know common decency and have to debate about it.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Newbie
User avatar
Mar 8, 2009
77 posts
35 upvotes
The Great White Nort…
tranquility922 wrote:
Just common sense and courtesy to NOT do that stuff. Incredible some ppl don't know common decency and have to debate about it.
If it is sitting on the street/end of lane waiting for a truck run, then it is fair game for poop disposal. If someone is walking up to your garage to dispose of poop, then I agree, it is trespassing.

Regarding your comment about "going into other people's stuff", a property owner has no reasonable expectation of privacy the minute the bin hits the street/end of laneway.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
13620 posts
3678 upvotes
Montréal
Navington wrote: If it is sitting on the street/end of lane waiting for a truck run, then it is fair game for poop disposal. If someone is walking up to your garage to dispose of poop, then I agree, it is trespassing.

Regarding your comment about "going into other people's stuff", a property owner has no reasonable expectation of privacy the minute the bin hits the street/end of laneway.
That's just ridiculous 'logic' and why the world is getting worse in small incremental steps. It's NOT fair game at all, the owner reuses the trashbin and no one wants to have a potential mess and/or stink of dog crap. It's not the issue of legality but courtesy and decency.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Newbie
User avatar
Mar 8, 2009
77 posts
35 upvotes
The Great White Nort…
tranquility922 wrote: That's just ridiculous 'logic' and why the world is getting worse in small incremental steps. It's NOT fair game at all, the owner reuses the trashbin and no one wants to have a potential mess and/or stink of dog crap. It's not the issue of legality but courtesy and decency.
Have a discussion with the poop dropper. Otherwise you are shit out of luck.

Dropping poop in a garbage bin, placed on the street, is the least of society's concerns.

If it bothers you that much, I have a cabin in the woods you can live in.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
13620 posts
3678 upvotes
Montréal
Navington wrote: Have a discussion with the poop dropper. Otherwise you are shit out of luck.

Dropping poop in a garbage bin, placed on the street, is the least of society's concerns.

If it bothers you that much, I have a cabin in the woods you can live in.
So at least you finally admit it's an undesirable thing.

Again, it's all about some ppl's selfishness and pretty sure it disseminates into other areas of their crappy lives, they simply don't care about other ppl and yes this specific 'poop dropping' act is the least of society's concerns, but they probably manifest greater sins elsewhere...or do you think they can exhibit this selfish and inconsiderate act but magically are perfectly amazing selfless human beings in all other aspects of their lives? Extremely unlikely. Just disgusting behavior, period.

EDIT: anecdotally, I know someone who does this, throws unwanted trash into other ppl's trashcans. Definitely one of the worst, most selfish ppl I've met due to many other character flaws and the way she conducts herself and treats others, so this is just 1 sign but a good indicator nevertheless.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Newbie
User avatar
Mar 8, 2009
77 posts
35 upvotes
The Great White Nort…
tranquility922 wrote: So at least you finally admit it's an undesirable thing.

Again, it's all about some ppl's selfishness and pretty sure it disseminates into other areas of their crappy lives, they simply don't care about other ppl and yes this specific 'poop dropping' act is the least of society's concerns, but they probably manifest greater sins elsewhere...or do you think they can exhibit this selfish and inconsiderate act but magically are perfectly amazing selfless human beings in all other aspects of their lives? Extremely unlikely. Just disgusting behavior, period.

EDIT: anecdotally, I know someone who does this, throws unwanted trash into other ppl's trashcans. Definitely one of the worst, most selfish ppl I've met due to many other character flaws and the way she conducts herself and treats others, so this is just 1 sign but a good indicator nevertheless.
My quote is not an admission, it is a reflection of far greater concerns society faces today. Reading any further into my remark is taking it out of context and does not support your position.

Attributing dog poop disposal to a personality trait (selfishness) is a far stretch without any real foundation, other than your anecdotal experience, which may have clouded your judgment. Why include that you believe they have "crappy" lives? Were you burned in a previous life by a dog poop ninja?

Look, I am not arguing that you have no right to feel this way, in fact you can be angry as hell. But, it is not going to solve the problem. If someone is dropping dog poop in your garbage can on the street, speak to them if it bothers you that much. Other than that, there is not much else you can do.

Well, other than rant on a public forum.

Top