944 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto
Any open spots left along the route?? Im just leaving RHill now :(
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
8778 posts
6146 upvotes
Didi_beee wrote: Any open spots left along the route?? Im just leaving RHill now :(
If you want to be on the route for sure you will find spots... but the parade is going to start at 10... best bet is ride down to union and then go try find a spot at York St or University.

Wont find anything at NFS now.
Dec 8, 2010
120 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
Didi_beee wrote: Any open spots left along the route?? Im just leaving RHill now :(
10:50 Bathurst and Lakeshore, still waiting.
Images
  • 5E3707AC-BD04-4589-A594-BEDDC9F9B106.jpeg
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3094 posts
1189 upvotes
We'll probably get the official numbers later this week, but I'm almost certain this parade was bigger than Caribana, PRIDE and the Santa Claus parades combined. All of which I've attended at least once or twice in my life.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8205 posts
1754 upvotes
Toronto
You can watch the full parade from Global News on youtube.

Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
7670 posts
2555 upvotes
Mississauga
appleb wrote: You can watch the full parade from Global News on youtube.

Thanks for this. I hadn't watched it because i was in Nathan Phillips Square. I didn't realize how many people there were surrounding me beyond NPS out onto Queen Street and down the side streets. There is also a tonne of people along the parade route. That is crazy insane. Love it!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
6259 posts
1958 upvotes
Caledon
Thank you all for the tips. ended up taking my family and arrived at St.Andrew Station around 7.45AM with kids. Food and Drinks and did the pee break right away .

Even though the parade got delayed, we got to witness an amazing experience from front row !!!!
Images
  • IMG_20190617_163507_117.jpg
  • IMG_20190617_142719.jpg
  • IMG_20190617_142133.jpg
  • IMG_20190617_142104.jpg
  • IMG_20190617_142042.jpg
  • IMG_20190617_142023.jpg
Last edited by Mayoo on Jun 18th, 2019 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
9851 posts
627 upvotes
Mayoo wrote: Thank you all for the tips. ended up taking my family and arrived at St.Andrew Station around 7.45AM with kids. Food and Drinks and did the pee break right away .

Even though the parade for delayed got witness an amazing experience from front row !!!!
AMAZING SHOTS DUDE. FRAME THAT BADBOY!!!.
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
245 posts
138 upvotes
Sucks that 4 people got shot. I was actually about 10 yards away from one of them. The cops taped the area off and surrounded the guys body trying to assist
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1006 posts
253 upvotes
Notes for next year's parade (hope I didnt jinx it) based on yesterday's experience:

- Avoid Nathan Phillip's (rally/speech location) and find a spot along the route. It is so much more fun as an experience.
- if you do decide to go to the rally point, you have to come super early but realize that if you go for a bathroom break you might not be able to get back to your original spot. From just walking around, you sometimes hit a complete gridlock where no one will move for you because they can't move either.
- For the parade route, get there early. My suggestion would be to find something closer to the start of the parade as that is when the players are into it and more interactive. I was located near the end of the route and you could tell the players weren't as lively. That might be because of the delays, heat or dehydration. It was still a surreal moment.
- Speaking of dehydration, bring water. Booze will make you dehydrated faster so make sure to bring water. A few people passed out. Don't forget snacks and sunscreen (I got burned).
- depending on what side of the street, you might not see all players. If you go early enough at the start of the parade, you could get to a spot further down in the route on the opposite side but it probably wont be the best view.
- if you have kids and you arent behind a barricade. Make sure they have no loose clothing that could get caught on one of the trucks or busses.
- Some people followed the last bus to either feel like they are part of the parade or to try to sneak in with the players somewhere. This does not work. Instead, it creates a big rush of people pushing against bystanders. This happened and was very dangerous as some kids got hurt.
- You will get pushed, you will get stuck and you may get hurt too
- You will have people in your personal space. Anyone that was near queen and university ave can confirm that..

With that said, I have no plans of going to the next one lol..

Edit: For commuting, it doesnt matter as every form of transportation will be congested. Since yesterday's parade got delayed by a few hours, it gave time for more people to reach it. My commute time for Mississauga was about 2.5 hrs at 730AM which isnt bad considering it was during rush hour too. The players didnt pass me until about 130-2pm.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5147 posts
851 upvotes
Toronto
skwigglyline wrote: Notes for next year's parade (hope I didnt jinx it) based on yesterday's experience:

- Avoid Nathan Phillip's (rally/speech location) and find a spot along the route. It is so much more fun as an experience.
- if you do decide to go to the rally point, you have to come super early but realize that if you go for a bathroom break you might not be able to get back to your original spot. From just walking around, you sometimes hit a complete gridlock where no one will move for you because they can't move either.
- For the parade route, get there early. My suggestion would be to find something closer to the start of the parade as that is when the players are into it and more interactive. I was located near the end of the route and you could tell the players weren't as lively. That might be because of the delays, heat or dehydration. It was still a surreal moment.
- Speaking of dehydration, bring water. Booze will make you dehydrated faster so make sure to bring water. A few people passed out. Don't forget snacks and sunscreen (I got burned).
- depending on what side of the street, you might not see all players. If you go early enough at the start of the parade, you could get to a spot further down in the route on the opposite side but it probably wont be the best view.
- if you have kids and you arent behind a barricade. Make sure they have no loose clothing that could get caught on one of the trucks or busses.
- Some people followed the last bus to either feel like they are part of the parade or to try to sneak in with the players somewhere. This does not work. Instead, it creates a big rush of people pushing against bystanders. This happened and was very dangerous as some kids got hurt.
- You will have people in your personal space. Anyone that was near queen and university ave can confirm that..

Edit: For commuting, it doesnt matter as every form of transportation will be congested. Since yesterday's parade got delayed by a few hours, it gave time for more people to reach it. My commute time for Mississauga was about 2.5 hrs at 730AM which isnt bad considering it was during rush hour too. The players didnt pass me until about 130-2pm.
Good tips:
Avoid Nathan Philipps Square and including Exhibition, those end points aren't the best spots to get good spots to see the players as there's alot of congregation of people making it impossible to get a decent shot. We were at Harbour and York st. Not a popular area, so even though we weren't first ones there, we still got a decent spot to get solid pictures.
- dress comfortably especially having good running shoes - you'll be standing for a long time, and you want shoes that will enable you to run properly to escape shootings, fights, stabbings.. People will run, so you better run too, or get trampled
- Eat, pee, sh*t beforehand because once you're in that crowd it'll be hard to leave
- And for f**k sakes, DO NOT bring your baby with their stroller into the middle of a congregation of millions of people. Some parents did, their baby was crying many times, and they were in the same area as us when the mad dash of people occurred. Stupid Stupid Stupid!!
Last edited by glover78 on Jun 18th, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
9851 posts
627 upvotes
skwigglyline wrote: Notes for next year's parade (hope I didnt jinx it) based on yesterday's experience:

It was just bad planning. Hiring santa clause parade people for something this big and this fast was not a good idea. It clearly shows that they needed a better organizer.

It all falls on Tory since he is the Mayor. All the scheduling and preparation should have been ironed out when the Finals started.

At least we can say that there wasnt too much issue. No one died. Nothing too extreme happened.

The shooting was shameful but the city got through it.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17677 posts
5608 upvotes
Toronto
The event was poorly planned. The first step is to have barricades between the parade route and crowds. Same setup as Carribanna, simple as that. Need to have 3-5X more security and police. The NPS final stop was a terrible idea. Should have started in downtown and ended near the OVO facility with lots of space on the CNE grounds for people to gather. Need way more screens at final event as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1435 posts
725 upvotes
Durham
I was at University/Wellington with the family and some friends. Glad we did not got to the Square. Got there at 7:30am. We stopped as there was a Subway (restaurant) and Tims behind us so access to washroom and caffeine lol. There was a barrier on the East side, but not on the West. The barrier provided safe viewing for the kids as we had them by the barrier all watching. They loved it, it was all families around there so there was no pushing really. As soon as the last bus went by, we got out to take the GO train home and got home on time to watch the ceremony and intro's on TV. Kids loved it. We packed water and snacks. Had no issues at all. We really enjoyed it. Kids loved seeing the player that close.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)