Sports & Recreation

Raptor's shooting suspect

Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4506 posts
385 upvotes
From CBC article.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5179508

"Brad Ross, the city's chief communications officer, insisted there were barricades set up along the five-kilometre route to keep the crowds back, but "in their exuberance," a wave of revellers dressed in red, white and black jumped over them.

"They were quickly ignored and people just took to the streets in an attempt to celebrate and be close to the team," he said Tuesday in an interview with CBC Radio's Metro Morning."

Brad Ross, you are a liar.

There were barriers on the east side of university between Wellington and King.

But not on the west.

Hmmm....see what happens when you do not put them on the west side.

Lying sack of crap Brad Ross.

Guess what liar Brad Ross. People on the west side respected the barrier.

I feel for people with no food or water.

I choose to suck it up and was rewarded with a bus and players 6 feet away on the route.

I knew I'd have to choose between parade or NPS.

Very poorly planned. They are very very lucky the small incident was all that happened.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
9234 posts
530 upvotes
mkjr wrote:
Jun 18th, 2019 8:40 pm

Hmmm....see what happens when you do not put them on the west side.

Lying sack of crap Brad Ross.

Guess what liar Brad Ross. People on the west side respected the barrier.

I feel for people with no food or water.

I choose to suck it up and was rewarded with a bus and players 6 feet away on the route.

I knew I'd have to choose between parade or NPS.

Very poorly planned. They are very very lucky the small incident was all that happened.
EXACTLY.

Even if there were barriers, you need enough security/cops to make sure no one jumps over.

We are pretty lucky nothing extreme happened and most people went home safe.
TORONTO RAPTORS IS THE 2019 NBA CHAMPIONS
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2269 posts
1913 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Gee here’s a thought: bring food/water... self-responsibility ?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4506 posts
385 upvotes
mrfrugal83 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2019 9:22 pm
Gee here’s a thought: bring food/water... self-responsibility ?
I did and some around me did but I planned on being there on the street for 2.5 hours versus 5.

But I was fine and was always able to leave at any time. I woke to the TV and about 645am, lots of space north of Toronto sign. Checked university street cams, nothing. Went back to bed. At 815, nps was very full. I decided it would be a bad idea to go there. Decided on university and choose a narrow area on east side knowing narrow area means fewer people behind you.

I do agree that individuals have a responsibility also.

But had there been proper barriers on both sides of the entire parade routes, which there was not liar Brad Ross, the parade would have been on time and perhaps lack of sustenance would not have been an issue. And proper police or security.

They should have had some way to also control numbers into NPS.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1294 posts
204 upvotes
Mississauga
U guys don't understand unless you were in that square, I arrived at 7:30am with my wife and 2 kids. We both had backpacks full of water, food and munchies. We were in the middle of the square near the stage we soon realized that this wasn't a good spot because of washroom breaks so we decided to make our way out of the square which wasn't too bad at 9:30 am. We decided to go on queen street and got a spot in front row where the parade was going to pass which seemed like a good idea at the time, it was a disaster 2 hrs later there wasnt a street anymore it was completely full of people pushing and banging into each other. Once again I got the Fack out of there. We finally had enough went to my wife's office which was on king/ york had a washroom break and found a spot off University street. I just wish they had barricades and enough security/cops to enforce the rules. IMO it was a complete fail by the city. We made the best of it and we had a good time. Im just happy I got out of the previous areas.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4506 posts
385 upvotes
Unfortunately, they did make it appear the parade would go along queen.

But the night before it was very clear given the TV camera position at university and armory and also with the barriers at back of city hall that parade would end on armory.

So that's when I knew it was one or the other.

So that aspect would have allowed people to plan better since I can guarantee you many in nps figured they could see parade and the presentation.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6880 posts
2142 upvotes
Mississauga
Meh, I was at NPS. There was always a constant stream of people moving up, down left, and right.

If you were in the middle and needed to go to the washroom, you could, and then manoeuvre your way back.

Common sense that you would have to exhibit patience to get back to where you were, but it's certainly possible.

People were friendly, it's not like they were locking arms preventing anyone from touching the ground in front of them closer to the stage.

If you some how think you should be able to walk to the washroom on demand and then walk back instantly, stay home.

This was as best as they could have done with the amount of people that showed up.

University Ave as it was, had people packed quite far back on adjacent streets, so if there were barriers on both sides of the sidewalk, there would have been absolutely no capacity at all.

Furthermore, why they put barriers on one side is so that they can still keep morning traffic going prior to the parade. Those barriers aren't something to dynamically move just before the parade starts. Then after the parade, you can open up to traffic once again.

If you put the barrier on the street then you shutdown University Ave the full day. Not practical.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4985 posts
704 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2019 8:37 pm
People who went there said they couldnt get out of their spot to get water or go to the bathroom because it was so packed and they would have lost their spot.
Losing you're spot is one thing, but come on you gotta prioritize. I highly doubt pissing and/or sh*tting yourself and then having to stew in it in the hot weather would make it worth it to (barely) see the Raptors players.
Eat, Sh*t and piss before you go in the thick of things. Also if you're thirsty/dehydrated, you won't really feel the need to piss. I'm a guy who has an overactive bladder once he drinks his coffee, but made sure to use the washroom (even though I didn't have to) prior to going to NPS.

Plus it was possible to move around even though it was packed. Sure it'll take you a while before you get somewhere, but a simple "excuse me...can I get by" works wonders. Hell I used that to get an even better spot inside even though I didn't show up until after 2pm.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
9234 posts
530 upvotes
Its hilarious that people are being blamed for such a terrible planning by the city.

Hey it only took 5+ hours for the parade to actually reach its destination because of the mess but yes let's blame the people.

Next time 100k people should bring 10 water bottles, 10 pee bottles and a bag for their crap. Its time to take some responsibilities. Face With Tears Of Joy
TORONTO RAPTORS IS THE 2019 NBA CHAMPIONS
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2413 posts
926 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 12:23 am
Next time 100k people should bring 10 water bottles, 10 pee bottles and a bag for their crap. Its time to take some responsibilities. Face With Tears Of Joy
Alternatively, perhaps this video explains what some of these common sensors really want:
Nov 25, 2003
383 posts
148 upvotes
BC [what me worry?]
mbg wrote:
Jun 18th, 2019 6:50 pm
Enduring hours of no food is not an issue. Feeling hungry is not an emergency. Water may be.

But people are capable of drinking water when they are thirsty, no?
You would then into the problem of how to dispose ones urine. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed EyesI doubt there were a lot of porta-potties out there. I suppose people could’ve scouted out possible office buildings they could run in beforehand but consider the crowd size.
I've been away for a while....
Nov 25, 2003
383 posts
148 upvotes
BC [what me worry?]
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 12:23 am
and a bag for their crap. Its time to take some responsibilities. Face With Tears Of Joy
Well that would be another option in case you had to do a number two. Course you would need to bring some toilet paper as well.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I've been away for a while....
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4506 posts
385 upvotes
Trying to satisfy drivers by not closing university and putting barriers at least to centre lane is negligent of the city. They seem to be content with closing swaths of the city for charity runs and marathons as well as taking lanes away for construction. It is inexcusable. Planners who said "but all the drivers will be upset and inconvenienced". I mean come on man. The city severely curbed car traffic on king to save people a few minutes on transit.

Is the world going to end to close university Ave from late Sunday to 2pm, likely all that would be needed if things on time.

Negligent actions could have caused many injuries.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11481 posts
458 upvotes
1st timer wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 2:09 am
You would then into the problem of how to dispose ones urine. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed EyesI doubt there were a lot of porta-potties out there. I suppose people could’ve scouted out possible office buildings they could run in beforehand but consider the crowd size.
There are ways of dealing with this, and in some way it's a life skill. Excessive urine comes about when you drink too much. If you moderate yourself and drink small amounts periodically, it's not an issue.

People who really have issues with this usually book aisle seats at the theatre. Why would those same people now want to be in the middle of a dense crowd?

Anyway, there's no real solution here. The parade was spread over 7km or so. Nathan Phillips Square is right near the Eaton Centre and City Hall as well as various restaurants and cafes that will let you use the washroom if you buy the drinks people apparently needed. All of these have washrooms. Sticking porta-potties in the middle of a dense crowd wouldn't work. It's a non-issue.

Toronto just had this huge celebration and it's pathetic that a couple of days later the only thing we're still talking about is that how bad the washroom facilities were, that there was no free water, and that the parade route was too congested... and the shootings.

The one thing I think they should have done better at was making sure the parade buses could get to their destination. The commuter chaos at the end of the day would have been far less if the event had finished on time. They planned the end time properly but didn't make sure they stayed on schedule. That's critical if you want to avoid transit chaos. Commuting in general was not well-provisioned, but that's the state of transit at the moment more than a fault of this event in particular. I wonder how many people who came in to the city on 12-car trains realized that on many lines the only way back in mid-day was on a bus every 30 mins or so :) Most didn't have to cope with that because the parade was delayed, but then people were cramming themselves into trains during commuter rush hour.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11481 posts
458 upvotes
mkjr wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 7:33 am
Trying to satisfy drivers by not closing university and putting barriers at least to centre lane is negligent of the city. They seem to be content with closing swaths of the city for charity runs and marathons as well as taking lanes away for construction. It is inexcusable. Planners who said "but all the drivers will be upset and inconvenienced". I mean come on man. The city severely curbed car traffic on king to save people a few minutes on transit.

Is the world going to end to close university Ave from late Sunday to 2pm, likely all that would be needed if things on time.

Negligent actions could have caused many injuries.
Agree with you.

Another option might have been to not hold the parade on a weekday. But with an uncertain victory (and victory date), players needing to travel and Pride being in full frolic, I guess this was the only option. Considering the number of people that turned out, it could have been a lot worse.