Sports & Recreation

Raptor's shooting suspect

Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11481 posts
458 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2019 8:37 pm
People who went there said they couldnt get out of their spot to get water or go to the bathroom because it was so packed and they would have lost their spot.

It is not "babysitting". Its common sense. If you expected 2 million people, you need to make sure everyone is safe.

I dont even know why you are here posting your nonsense view of the world. Face With Tears Of Joy. No one cares.
I'm absolutely certain that you wouldn't have done better with the amount of preparation time available, and you'd probably have spent a lot more money doing it.

A million came and celebrated and had fun. The city is back to normal. Nobody died even with shootings. Let's move on.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6878 posts
2142 upvotes
Mississauga
mbg wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 8:18 am
I'm absolutely certain that you wouldn't have done better with the amount of preparation time available, and you'd probably have spent a lot more money doing it.

A million came and celebrated and had fun. The city is back to normal. Nobody died even with shootings. Let's move on.
Exactly this. There simply was not enough direct capacity along the route and in NPS for 2+ Million people. They had to overflow onto adjacent streets along the way as it was.

If anything, I am more proud of the immense amount of people that showed up to support and celebrate the team. Bandwagoners and all.

The other thing is, they couldn't get enough police for the event. I was told they were offering triple time for police to work the event, including from surrounding cities. Anyone could have thought of having police already situated all the way along the 5-7km route waiting and controlling the crowds, but just not enough.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1996 posts
454 upvotes
Ontario
None of this happened at the Blue Jays parade...……..I seem to remember someone trying to pull John Gallagher's hair plugs out being the only incident.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4979 posts
699 upvotes
Toronto
webshark wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 11:02 am
None of this happened at the Blue Jays parade...……..I seem to remember someone trying to pull John Gallagher's hair plugs out being the only incident.
I was only a kid back then, so jog my memory did 2M+ show up for the Jays parade too?

Not making excuses, but when you have this many people congregated into one area, sh*t will definitely go down. Come to think of it, it was only 4 ppl out of 2M+ who were the bad apples, that's not too bad. At least no one died, which I'm sure has happened at many other US/world team parades
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
9216 posts
525 upvotes
mbg wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 8:18 am

You dont know that. It could have went real smooth if they planned ahead.

What is wrong with spending money with the parade?. Businesses are happy and the ripple effect of this will be felt financially. Its pretty much free ad for Toronto/Canada as a tourist destination worldwide. That means revenue.

Any big city would love to have this kind of exposure to the world.

Look how bad it was.
At least no one died
That is true but being lucky shouldnt be an excuse for amateur hour work.
TORONTO RAPTORS IS THE 2019 NBA CHAMPIONS
Oct 28, 2012
342 posts
98 upvotes
Ajax, ON
iamskyhigh wrote:
Jun 18th, 2019 7:39 pm
Thought this thread was about Raptor's 3-pt shooting percentage.
Naw
Raptors' shooting, suspect. A comma can solve world hunger!

Having the parade on a weekday was probably a way to help control the crowd numbers. But having the parade so soon after the win didn't allow enough of the excitement to fade. Either way, I don't see how they could have rightfully planned for this. No way anyone expected that amount of people.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1099 posts
328 upvotes
Toronto
my takeaway from this thread:

if we win again next year, OP needs to apply for the parade planner job and lets see how he handles 2m+ people into a crowded downtown core with not enough police manpower and no control on what the rabid masses will do on such a crowded hot day
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4506 posts
385 upvotes
Funny. Lots of barriers and police at pride parade.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
2441 posts
1195 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mkjr wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 5:00 pm
Funny. Lots of barriers and police at pride parade.
Yea but this parade was orchestrated a while ago, while the raptors championship parade had to be done in a short period of time.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
9216 posts
525 upvotes
DimsumDeals wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 12:57 pm
my takeaway from this thread:

if we win again next year, OP needs to apply for the parade planner job and lets see how he handles 2m+ people into a crowded downtown core with not enough police manpower and no control on what the rabid masses will do on such a crowded hot day
Good response. Make it about me instead of actually discussing the issue. Good job man. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1099 posts
328 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 9:50 pm
Good response. Make it about me instead of actually discussing the issue. Good job man. :facepalm:
you know what's worse? Criticizing without putting yourself in the same position as if you could've done better given the circumstances.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6878 posts
2142 upvotes
Mississauga
Man, how did this thread about the shooting become about parade organization - there is already a thread about the parade.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
9216 posts
525 upvotes
DimsumDeals wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 9:48 am
you know what's worse? Criticizing without putting yourself in the same position as if you could've done better given the circumstances.
So you are saying we cant criticize anyone anymore for doing a bad job?. Good job man. :facepalm: X10000