Raspberry Pi 4 4GB RAM Board + 64GB Micro SD Card Complete Starter Kit $99.94

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2020 8:53 pm
47 replies
Mar 1, 2005
183 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
Code doesn't work. Any other code available?
Nov 29, 2020
10 posts
1 upvote
When I view it the price is $120 and Labists35 code works and brings price down to $78.00
Apr 20, 2019
64 posts
39 upvotes
A note about the kit.. the fan is not PWM and is REALLY loud.. it would be a good idea to upgrade to the official pi one with PWM.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1808 posts
1482 upvotes
... US DOLLARs

US$78 >< CAD$101 (@1.30 exchange rate)
A QUIET MAN IS A THINKING MAN.
A QUIET WOMAN IS A DANGEROUS WOMAN

My Missus said " I don't tell you how to spend your $$, Don't tell me how to spend your $$."
Mar 9, 2004
48 posts
4 upvotes
Be warned that the fan in this kit is rubbish and is so loud that you won't use it. Its way louder than any fan should be. So just know you'll have to buy a different fan for your pi.

Check the amazon reviews for this kit and you'll see many people complain about the super noisy fan.
Last edited by webtommy88 on Dec 8th, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 31, 2016
26 posts
30 upvotes
Can suggest fan ? I already have raspberry with fan, but makes more noise
Apr 20, 2019
64 posts
39 upvotes
For pi4 you need a fan.. or a passive heatsink case.
nightwalker wrote: Which fan would you recommend that is quiet?

Is a fan even necessary?
Mar 9, 2004
48 posts
4 upvotes
I just ended up getting any random fan from amazon that the comments said were quiet:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07448 ... UTF8&psc=1

This Pi 4 runs hot so you'll need a fan if are going to do CPU intensive stuff. You probably won't need one if its a light work load.

The Pi400 (the build in keyboard one) seems do really well with just passive cooling.
Mar 1, 2005
183 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
webtommy88 wrote: Be warned that the fan in this kit is rubbish and is so loud that you won't use it. Its way louder than any fan should be. So just know you'll have to buy a different fan for your pi.

Check the amazon reviews for this kit and you'll see many people complain about the super noisy fan.
Fan came with the kit is really loud
Dec 6, 2012
26 posts
26 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
What can you do on a raspberry Pi that you can't do on an Nvidia Shield?
Jan 26, 2005
942 posts
63 upvotes
btsats wrote: What can you do on a raspberry Pi that you can't do on an Nvidia Shield?
I mainly use it for pi-hole. And retropie. i have it setup as desktop but kinda useless because i have enough computers at home. But if you need a browser computer, it is a good choice for this price and space. You can attach it to the back of monitor because it is so small.

You can config it with USB drive and use it as NAS. I haven't tried it but i heard good things about it .

You can also config it sharing USB over lan.
Jan 28, 2014
636 posts
245 upvotes
webtommy88 wrote: I just ended up getting any random fan from amazon that the comments said were quiet:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07448 ... UTF8&psc=1

This Pi 4 runs hot so you'll need a fan if are going to do CPU intensive stuff. You probably won't need one if its a light work load.

The Pi400 (the build in keyboard one) seems do really well with just passive cooling.
Did you try the 3.3v header instead of the 5v?

I know that fixed my loud fan on my previous pi build.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1946 posts
824 upvotes
Antarctica
+1 on the fan being loud from this kit.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good fan that they have used? Is the official pi foundation case fan the best option? TIA.
Mar 7, 2005
788 posts
250 upvotes
Have this and fan on 3.3V is somewhat loud, but not unbearable. I’ve been using this as a Plex server but direct play. No real issues so far. Wouldn’t mind if there is a fan that turns off and on as needed.
Mar 9, 2004
48 posts
4 upvotes
STIGUY wrote: Did you try the 3.3v header instead of the 5v?

I know that fixed my loud fan on my previous pi build.
Unfortunately the 3.3v was still stupidly loud.