[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2002
6265 posts
361 upvotes
Toronto

Raspberry Pi as a gaming rig?

Greetings all!
Has anyone used a Rapberry pi as a gaming rig?
I would like to build one for predominantly playing retro games and possibly fifa soccer if thats possible aka Mame machine.
The machine would also be also be used for you tube videos, browsing and typing docs.
Any advice would be appreciated.
3 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20285 posts
5734 upvotes
GTA
Sure, I have a Pi3 and made it into a retroPi box. It works, no problem.

But I ended up using my Shield TV more, faster and I have one anyways thats being used. However, there are so many other projects a Pi3 can do, so it doesn't hurt to try and see how you like it, plus learn a thing or two :)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
34095 posts
7703 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
trini wrote: Greetings all!
Has anyone used a Rapberry pi as a gaming rig?
I would like to build one for predominantly playing retro games and possibly fifa soccer if thats possible aka Mame machine.
The machine would also be also be used for you tube videos, browsing and typing docs.
Any advice would be appreciated.
It works fine as a retro gaming machine but is sounds like you intend to do more with it. I think you’re better off with a cheap Windows machine.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10714 posts
3116 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have always wished for an old school MOH or a HL engine on the rpi multiplayer game. The rpi's soc and gpu are about on par with what we used to play back then. I think the recently released mario 64 Multiplayer(then blocked by nintendo) but on the rpi would have been quite fun and we all know there would have been loads of people.

It truly is an untapped market.