Rate My Professors

[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2004
2135 posts
9 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec

Rate My Professors

Does anyone use the ratemyprofessors while making the schedule in College or University? I know this is old news but I wanted to know if people still use it every year in their studies. I use it all the time to stay away from teachers who give terrible lectures. Sometimes a teacher you have isn't listed and turns out to be horrible but at least you get to tell people to stay away from the teacher if you can take something else.

Whoever uses the site, do you just take anyone who gives the greatest and easiest grades? Or do you also look for someone who is interesting and a fair/tough grader? I usually go for the interesting, fair and normal workload teachers.
8 replies
Jul 22, 2005
237 posts
24 upvotes
I use the site to check out my teachers so i will know what to expect in the fall. Didnt use it to choose course since i dont have any electives. :|
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
52 upvotes
there's "rate my professors" for all universities i noticed.
rems wrote: yes...for those that say it doesn't are lying. There has to be some sort of physical attraction (unless you're visually impaired obviously). Looks get you there and personality keeps you there.
Jun 6, 2005
525 posts
1 upvote
All my classes except electives have only one section, so it's not like I can pick and choose my teachers. I do look to see if I'm going to have a nice easy guy or some asshole though.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12156 posts
612 upvotes
I'm not sure how much I trust the site - I put myself on that site as a Queens University Prof several years ago, and I just went and checked....I have three very good reviews, one of them listing me as the "sex prof". While I DID hold this post, it was more of an informal thing between myself and a few dozen female students...I never actually received a stipend or salary from Queens for it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 18, 2003
6288 posts
10 upvotes
Waterloo
deep wrote:I'm not sure how much I trust the site - I put myself on that site as a Queens University Prof several years ago, and I just went and checked....I have three very good reviews, one of them listing me as the "sex prof". While I DID hold this post, it was more of an informal thing between myself and a few dozen female students...I never actually received a stipend or salary from Queens for it.
Same here, I'm still up there. 11 ratings, and an average of 4.2. I really wonder who entered some of these ratings. At least some of them have to be my freinds.

Mr. F is so great, his classes are so much fun and he always has the best roller coaster stories. There is just something is his eyes that says I love teaching computer science and you will share the same passion for comptuter that I do after taking my course, thanks for keeping it reel mr. f you are the best.

Mr. F, where to begin he was the best teacher anyway, anywhere could ever have. You better pray to get the oppurtunity to know anyone that is half, no no a quarter the educator Mr. F is.

Best teacher in the school. Always willing to go the extra mile to help his students.

What a remarakable man, always has a smile on his face, and really cares for his students. Your the best Mr.F

etc
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2004
2135 posts
9 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
I usually trust the site when there's a bunch of comments, at least 5. There are some really nice teachers out there who get bad reviews, (probably students who don't even attend class)
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2004
2288 posts
I use it every term when picking my classes to make sure I don't end up in a class with a crappy prof. There's often more than one section, so chances are you can pick a good prof.

Usually I'm looking for a prof that actually wants to be there in a classroom, who has the passion for the subject, who is interesting and can actually teach.

The comments on the site are usually pretty accurate, so it helps me a great deal.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
It was awesome for me, really saved me from making bad decisions, though some of the ratings are obviously skewed.
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)