Shopping Discussion

Rate service/reliability of wholesale cable ISPs

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2020 10:01 am

Poll: Based on service/reliability, which wholesale cable ISP would you recommend to friends/family?

• Total votes: 48. You have voted on this poll.
Acanac

0%
Can-Com

0%
Carry

17%
Cik/CanNet

21%
EBox

8%
Fido

19%
Primus

0%
TekSavvy

21%
VMedia

0%
other (please post the name below)

15%
[OP]
Jun 8, 2010
264 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto

Rate service/reliability of wholesale cable ISPs

I'm considering changing IPS from TekSavvy VDSL to cable (for cost/speed/availability reasons). I've noticed that even if a company has a really low-priced deal, it might also have a history of poor reliability, throttling, and/or billing errors. I'm hoping that this thread will serve as a one-stop listings of favourable cable ISPs, so that we can more easily gauge whether or not a low price is actually a deal, or a temptation to trouble. To limit the options, I'm omitting companies that own infrastructure (Rogers, Shaw, VIdeotron).

I would appreciate it if you would highlight up to 3 wholesale cable ISPs that you'd recommend. Thanks :)
Happy customer of Fido and Tangerine 😃
22 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1319 posts
1723 upvotes
Montreal
If you're in Quebec, there's a lengthy thread discussing different providers here:

best-internet-deals-quebec-2146261/

I myself am with Fizz. I had a rough patch at the beginning, but it's pretty good for the price now.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2007
1156 posts
727 upvotes
I'm currently with cannet but just changed to Altima cuz they have better rates in the long run.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37773 posts
23854 upvotes
Center of Universe
I voted for Carrytel (had their service for about a week, before staying with robbers on a retention plan) and have not complaints to report.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago with Ebox and the service has been up to par with Rogers, in terms of consistent speeds.
Sep 3, 2018
302 posts
163 upvotes
You can also look into IVC Telecom for better rates.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2575 posts
3664 upvotes
I've only used Rogers and eBox. Service is great with both, I only changed to eBox because of Rogers' pricing.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2010
264 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you for your votes/responses thus far.

I'm surprised that Cik/CanNet has so many recommendations. Based on RFD threads, I thought they throttled daily between 6pm - 11pm. Can anyone confirm or dispute this?
Mar 17, 2006
723 posts
184 upvotes
Markham
I'm on CanNet cable. At the start of Covid I was experiencing heavy congestion issues every evening. IPTV was okay, Netflix was fine, but Twitch and online gaming were unplayable. They seem to have resolved the issues in the past few months though.
Aug 19, 2013
432 posts
378 upvotes
Etobicoke
My home got CarryTel and my rental townhouse got Ebox. Ebox performance is little better than CarryTel, but both gets vote from me.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16911 posts
14505 upvotes
GTA, ON
Fido is the same as Rogers
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7201 posts
6383 upvotes
scholar80 wrote: Thank you for your votes/responses thus far.

I'm surprised that Cik/CanNet has so many recommendations. Based on RFD threads, I thought they throttled daily between 6pm - 11pm. Can anyone confirm or dispute this?
It's not throttling but more like congestion. There's a slowdown at night for a bit (couple hours?) to maybe 50Mbps Where speeds drop but still very usable for me

A lot of people use throttling to describe congestion when they're totally different things

I'm paying$30 a month for 300Mbps from cannet and can't be happier. No down time in year I've been with them after changing from carrytel (who were also very good)
Jul 24, 2013
9 posts
Has anyone used Coextro? They are based in Mississauga and prices seem good, they also run their own fibre in certain highrises.
Jul 11, 2020
43 posts
7 upvotes
schooloflife wrote: Has anyone used Coextro? They are based in Mississauga and prices seem good, they also run their own fibre in certain highrises.
Also looking for insight on Coextro. My condo isn't covered by their fibre but they have something called hybrid fibre with pretty good prices
[OP]
Jun 8, 2010
264 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
secretalcoholic wrote: Isn't Carry Telecom = CIK?
I signed up with CanNet and ran a speedtest. Speedtest lists the ISP as CIK. I'm not sure if CIK is also associated with Carry.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
scholar80 wrote: Thank you for your votes/responses thus far.

So am I.

If one reads Chinese they would find more negative feedback of cik, in addition to the English ones online.

And I read your specified issue on another forum as well. They phoned cs line but no help
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2011
1340 posts
1192 upvotes
SURREY
Been with Surf Internet for about 7 years now. No frills and their equipment is expensive but reliability and service have been good.
If it’s not at least 50% off is it really a deal?
Dec 15, 2012
705 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
DjRags604 wrote: Been with Surf Internet for about 7 years now. No frills and their equipment is expensive but reliability and service have been good.
Do they just use Roger’s line?
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2011
1340 posts
1192 upvotes
SURREY
misterlamed wrote: Do they just use Roger’s line?
Shaw. Sorry should have noted that. If you’re in the GVRD it’s worth checking out
If it’s not at least 50% off is it really a deal?