Students

Ratemyprofessors.com - useful or useless?

Poll: What do you think of ratemyprofessors.com?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2004
1973 posts
12 upvotes

Ratemyprofessors.com - useful or useless?

i used this site excessively during my first year of university when setting up my schedule and found it to be mostly right. however a buddy of mine complained that it was a load of bs and he ended up getting crappy profs...anyone have any opinions on this site?
20 replies
Aug 22, 2005
118 posts
18 upvotes
I use the site a lot, mostly just for fun to read other's opinions - but also when choosing electives.
I think it's very useful, the majority of comments I've seen have been right on. There's always gonna be a few people who are opposite of everyone else, but generally the average ratings are safe to go by.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2003
1530 posts
19 upvotes
I find it mostly accurate, pretty much what Tyler said...
This message brought to you by Glagnar's Human Rinds. It's a muncha-buncha-cruncha humans!
Sep 15, 2004
584 posts
1 upvote
Calgary
i sure hope it is useful, i planned my schedule around it's ratings.
Nov 21, 2003
848 posts
2 upvotes
Accurate for the most part. Definitely useful to picking electives.
On the other hand, my favourite prof has a terrible rating on there.
Dec 10, 2004
833 posts
96 upvotes
YEG
I find it quite useful. Most of the time it's quite accurate... of course actual results may vary :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7465 posts
238 upvotes
Ottawa
It's an okay site, but I wouldn't work my timetable around it or anything. You usually only get extreme responses on the site. People either rant about how hard the prof is when they get a low mark, or boast about how easy the prof was when they did well in the class. I find the former is more prevalent. Plus there are a lot of useless crap thrown in by yahoos who have obviously never had the prof.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Useful in most circumstances, though some idiots do eventually end up rating-crapping.

Look buddy, if you can't make a folder in Windows, you probably deserved to fail the Windows class; it wasn't the teacher's fault. ;)
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Jun 29, 2005
716 posts
8 upvotes
it's a good site, i think you best bet would be to attend the different lectures by different profs, sometimes if there's room, you can always just switch sections.

The only problem with ratemyprofessors is that there are a lot of biased comments. The prof is either really good or really bad, never seems to be any middle ground
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest"
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2004
1532 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto
i cant find any of my professors on there except for 1
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2005
3384 posts
46 upvotes
batman321123 wrote:i used this site excessively during my first year of university when setting up my schedule and found it to be mostly right. however a buddy of mine complained that it was a load of bs and he ended up getting crappy profs...anyone have any opinions on this site?
it's ok.. i use the guide that's published by student union.. it contains the teaching evaluation of every profs in the university.
:arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowu:
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
nightwalker wrote:i cant find any of my professors on there except for 1
You can add them.
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Feb 17, 2003
180 posts
Toronto
Useful only if you're in 1st year...it seems that after that, ppl stop leaving their opinion, and also, profs seem to care a bit more about the material they are teaching (they usually dont chose to teach 1st year classes, they're stuck with them, so its understandable)

But for the most part, if you're in your early undergrad years, its a valuable tool.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2004
1335 posts
25 upvotes
Western IN-CLASS rankings are available online.

These are the sheets with about 20 ratings filled out by nearly the entire class (eliminating those who don't show up).
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
2632 posts
74 upvotes
Winnipeg
lol...lots of my profs are on there....many very true comments. I can actually tell some of the comments were posted from the exact class I took just by what the person said.
Scotty is a cheap mofo and loves to get a deal!

HEATWARE
Aug 4, 2003
585 posts
6 upvotes
useful as long as the professor doesn't know about the site and inflate their ratings.

and only if raters are giving honest opinions and not just being assholes.

I do use it to pick my courses but by no means should it be the only deciding factor in taking a course.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3080 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
I used to moderate my school for ratemyTEACHERs. :| and most of the comments there are a bit too harsh and opinionated. But I guess..highschool student's immaturity? :)
[Removed by the RFD Moderation Team]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)