• Aug 11th, 2021 2:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1133 posts
222 upvotes
PACIFIC

RAV4 Hybrid Limited VS Escape Ti

What car should I buy? I'm looking for a new compact SUV. I'm in Calgary area, but is willing to travel a bit if better deals can be had nearby.

Looking at RAV4 Hybrid Limited (best deal I could find is 46K with tax included; did anybody else get better deals) VS
Ford Escape Ti (best deal I could find is 35.6K with tax included)

Have always been a Toyota fan. Had 2 Toyota cars in the past with no serious issues, never left me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Is the RAV4 Hybrid Ltd that much better than an Escape Hybrid Ti to justify the 10K difference?
From reading online, RAV4 main cons is the higher price.
RAV4 pros:
- better interior, acceleration, reliability (less time/visits to dealer for random repairs?)
- better resale value (shouldn't matter much if I drive till the car die?)

Escape main pros is the price, but the cons including poor QC (higher chance of getting a lemon? not going to last as long? might die in the middle of nowhere?,) poor interior (I don't really mind as long as it doesn't fall apart which seemed to happen to some per some online complaints. The Escape also seems to have slightly better fuel economy according to head-to-head reviews.

I also consider the 2022 Tucson Hybrid, but possibly no deal because the car is so new?

- Ruled out the CRV due to no hybrid/unreliable turbo engine (oil dilution/no heat).
- No Mazda due to personal preference
- Also looked at the Rogue Platinum and Forester Limited (no hybrids for both) but dealers said best price at 44K with tax, so almost the same price as the RAV4 Hybrid Limited.

I'm leaning toward the Escape as an RFD member saving money is important, but not if it's going to cost more money/time/headache in the long run. Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Just to clarify, the price is for the Escape Hybrid Titanium (Ti for Titanium)
Last edited by Fllay on Aug 10th, 2021 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
Oct 24, 2009
995 posts
1028 upvotes
Vancouver
Fllay wrote: What car should I buy? I'm looking for a new compact SUV. I'm in Calgary area, but is willing to travel a bit if better deals can be had nearby.

Looking at RAV4 Hybrid Limited (best deal I could find is 46K with tax included; did anybody else get better deals) VS

Have always been a Toyota fan. Had 2 Toyota cars in the past with no serious issues, never left me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Is the RAV4 Hybrid Ltd that much better than an Escape Hybrid Ti to justify the 10K difference?
RAV4 pros:
- better interior, acceleration, reliability (less time/visits to dealer for random repairs?)

Escape main pros is the price, but the cons including poor QC (higher chance of getting a lemon? not going to last as long? might die in the middle of nowhere?,) poor interior (I don't really mind as long as it doesn't fall apart which seemed to happen to some per some online complaints. The Escape also seems to have slightly better fuel economy according to head-to-head reviews.

I also consider the 2022 Tucson Hybrid, but possibly no deal because the car is so new?

- Ruled out the CRV due to no hybrid/unreliable turbo engine (oil dilution/no heat).
- Also looked at the Rogue Platinum and Forester Limited (no hybrids for both) but dealers said best price at 44K with tax, so almost the same price as the RAV4 Hybrid Limited.

I'm leaning toward the Escape as an RFD member saving money is important, but not if it's going to cost more money/time/headache in the long run. Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Wow does that work out to like 7k off the Escape? If so that’s crazy especially since even getting a RAV4 hybrid in stock is tricky. This opinion is going to be unpopular but I think the best play might be to lease it for 5 years. If my math is right and they allow you to do multiple security deposits, you’d be looking at around 350 per month which would be crazy for the amount of car you get. Use/abuse it for 5 years then bring it back.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19110 posts
18967 upvotes
Richmond Hill
You took Honda off the list due to engine issues, yet you have a Korean car on the list???
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1093 posts
1046 upvotes
Fllay wrote: What car should I buy? I'm looking for a new compact SUV. I'm in Calgary area, but is willing to travel a bit if better deals can be had nearby.

RAV4 pros:

I test drove all three in the past month or so before settling on ordering an EV. In terms of price, I didn't find any of them substantially better or worse when using unhaggle or carcostcanada. The one benefit however was Ford had 0% financing, cheaper than the RAV4, and no charge on upgrading to AWD. Had the RAV4 Prime been available for me to order within the next two months I may have gone with that.

I personally wrote off the Tucson for the wait time and potential issues with the Turbo.

Here are some of my findings:

Tucson 2022 Hybrid:

Pros:
- Best acceleration/performance of all three
- Interior seemed the most premium (instead of "utility" like on the RAV4)
- Highest tow capacity of the three

Cons:
- Centre console is basically all touch buttons
- Had previous issues with Turbos on my previous car....longevity suspect
- Waiting time of 8-12 weeks
- Rated mileage estimates are suspect according to many online reviewers

Escape Hybrid:

Pros:
- Felt a bit slow in comparison to the Tucson but comparable to the RAV4
- Least expensive - 0% financing and "free" upgrade to AWD
- Interior was "normal," not mind-blowing but acceptable
- Tow package reasonably priced vs. Toyota
- Panoramic Sunroof felt way more open compared to the RAV4

Cons:
- Compared to the RAV4 I felt much further forward (RAV4 feels like it has a much longer nose)
- QC suspect - I pull over at the side of the road to do a full look over...one of the two models I tested had a coolant feed to the water pump not pushed on all the way
- Appearance of the three is the worst - made slightly more tolerable with the metal grill on the Titanium
- Terrible resale value

RAV4 Hybrid:

Pros:
- Mostly comparable to the acceleration of the Escape
- Potential resale value
- Interior was "normal" - not mind blowing but seemed like it would keep up over a number of years

Cons:
- Most expensive of the three - no financing promotions and if I wanted one without the "technology package" (an extra few thousand $$ I didn't want) I'd have to custom order one...8-12 weeks wait
- Factory tow package is pricey (bumper would need to be modified if aftermarket)
- Seemed to engage the engine (ICE) way sooner than the Escape or the Tucson
- Rear backup cam low quality but acceptable
- Interior was "normal"

Edit: In the end the RAV4 Hybrid XSE would have been my choice. I also just realized you didn't mention Escape Hybrid Titanium. My findings above were all Hybrid models.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1133 posts
222 upvotes
PACIFIC
absolutcamper wrote: Wow does that work out to like 7k off the Escape? If so that’s crazy especially since even getting a RAV4 hybrid in stock is tricky. This opinion is going to be unpopular but I think the best play might be to lease it for 5 years. If my math is right and they allow you to do multiple security deposits, you’d be looking at around 350 per month which would be crazy for the amount of car you get. Use/abuse it for 5 years then bring it back.
There's a 5K cash discount from Ford. The rest is dealership discount I think. If I lease, I guess I don't get that 5K discount.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1133 posts
222 upvotes
PACIFIC
EP32k2 wrote: You took Honda off the list due to engine issues, yet you have a Korean car on the list???
Ya, the Honda current turbo issue is a known issue (?). Still on CBC news even in 2021 per
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/honda- ... -1.5960676
And IIRC the complaints started since 2017/18 and still hasn't been properly addressed?

The previous gen Tucson does have issue with engine catching fire, but I kind of gambling that their new Turbo hybrid engine wouldn't repeat the same mistake?
Last edited by Fllay on Aug 10th, 2021 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1133 posts
222 upvotes
PACIFIC
kronos288 wrote: I test drove all three in the past month or so before settling on ordering an EV. In terms of price, I didn't find any of them substantially better or worse when using unhaggle or carcostcanada. The one benefit however was Ford had 0% financing, cheaper than the RAV4, and no charge on upgrading to AWD. Had the RAV4 Prime been available for me to order within the next two months I may have gone with that.

I personally wrote off the Tucson for the wait time and potential issues with the Turbo.

Here are some of my findings:

Tucson 2022 Hybrid:

Pros:
- Best acceleration/performance of all three
- Interior seemed the most premium (instead of "utility" like on the RAV4)
- Highest tow capacity of the three

Cons:
- Centre console is basically all touch buttons
- Had previous issues with Turbos on my previous car....longevity suspect
- Waiting time of 8-12 weeks
- Rated mileage estimates are suspect according to many online reviewers

Escape Hybrid:

Pros:
- Felt a bit slow in comparison to the Tucson but comparable to the RAV4
- Least expensive - 0% financing and "free" upgrade to AWD
- Interior was "normal," not mind-blowing but acceptable
- Tow package reasonably priced vs. Toyota
- Panoramic Sunroof felt way more open compared to the RAV4

Cons:
- Compared to the RAV4 I felt much further forward (RAV4 feels like it has a much longer nose)
- QC suspect - I pull over at the side of the road to do a full look over...one of the two models I tested had a coolant feed to the water pump not pushed on all the way
- Appearance of the three is the worst - made slightly more tolerable with the metal grill on the Titanium
- Terrible resale value

RAV4 Hybrid:

Pros:
- Mostly comparable to the acceleration of the Escape
- Potential resale value
- Interior was "normal" - not mind blowing but seemed like it would keep up over a number of years

Cons:
- Most expensive of the three - no financing promotions and if I wanted one without the "technology package" (an extra few thousand $$ I didn't want) I'd have to custom order one...8-12 weeks wait
- Factory tow package is pricey (bumper would need to be modified if aftermarket)
- Seemed to engage the engine (ICE) way sooner than the Escape or the Tucson
- Rear backup cam low quality but acceptable
- Interior was "normal"

Edit: In the end the RAV4 Hybrid XSE would have been my choice. I also just realized you didn't mention Escape Hybrid Titanium. My findings above were all Hybrid models.
Thanks. I'm semi worried about turbo engine too with new Honda turbo engine getting bad reps in past few years, but I thought with the hybrid component perhaps the Tucson wouldn't have as much issue.

Price aside, RAV4 is my first choice. But with 5K cash rebate from Ford, it makes things complicated-just kind of worried about Ford reliability. The price I posted is for the Escape Hybrid Titanium (Ti ~ Titanium; my bad).
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1093 posts
1046 upvotes
Fllay wrote: Thanks. I'm semi worried about turbo engine too with new Honda turbo engine getting bad reps in past few years, but I thought with the hybrid component perhaps the Tucson wouldn't have as much issue.

Price aside, RAV4 is my first choice. But with 5K cash rebate from Ford, it makes things complicated-just kind of worried about Ford reliability. The price I posted is for the Escape Hybrid Titanium (Ti ~ Titanium; my bad).
I have a few family members that have worked at both the Ford and Toyota assembly plants. Put it this way...they always did say Toyota was a PIA to work for because they are incredibly meticulous during the production/assembly process that it drives some of the workers nuts.

Ford on the other hand...not so much. You do have your warranty so if you go that way just make sure there is a highly rated/reviewed dealership near by in regards to their service department.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1503 posts
588 upvotes
Toronto
Kia Sorrento Hybrid is coming the Fall - bigger than the above and new styling looks quite nice.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16622 posts
5183 upvotes
Toronto
People complain about the Toyota/Lexus products for being expensive, boring, and behind the times in features. While I would agree on these things, they do work well and have less issues than other brands:

Ford (Fix Or Repair Daily) - We all know about the QC issues
Hyundai - Engine fires are a real thing and Hyundai does not help the customer with this as several media articles have shown.
Honda - CRV engine oil dilution is still going on and Honda is trying to keep things on the down low

Yes, Ford and Hyundai has more features and is cheaper. The question is do you want quality on a new $40K vehicle to be LOWER than an 8 year old Toyota that costs 1/5 of that?

The only other SUV that seems to have great reliability are the Mazda CX5.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1051 posts
823 upvotes
Toyota #1 for life... no amount of money is worth the headache that Ford ownership brings
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16622 posts
5183 upvotes
Toronto
Jigsaw wrote: Toyota #1 for life... no amount of money is worth the headache that Ford ownership brings
Agree. I have driven several Ford vehicles and Toyota, and the number of repairs that I had to do on my 3 Toyotas was less than 1 of my Fords lol.

Everyone has different experiences with brands, but I won't put my money into a product who no longer says "Quality is Job 1"
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3065 posts
658 upvotes
Pickering
Had my Rav4 XLE Hybrid in for repairs last week, insurance paid for a Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid to use in the meantime and what was said above is true, it was decent but I was happy to get back my Rav4.
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1133 posts
222 upvotes
PACIFIC
Toyota dealers said wait time for RAV4 Hybrid Limited is 2-4 months. One dealer suggested I go with the Venza instead or the non-hybrid RAV4.
- Between non-hybrid RAV4 and 2021 Forester Limited, which one would you pick? The 2022 Forester has been announced, and it has a refreshed look.
- Get the Venza now or wait for RAV4 Hybrid? Did anyone get the RAV4 hybrid before the dealer estimation time?

Dealer was like the Venza and RAV4 Hybrid have almost the same cargo capacity.
- IMO, they're not even close. The RAV4 has more cargo capacity despite being a smaller car. Sunroof and rain sensing wiper also standard on RAV4 Hybrid XLE and up.
Venza pros: available now, nicer looking interior.
Venza cons: smaller cargo capacity, no sunroof (only the top trim has the stargazing roof), more expensive.

For the RAV4 hybrid, dealer wants $1000 deposit? Is it usually refundable like let's say another dealer is able to get the RAV4 sooner?

TIA.