Fashion & Beauty

Raw & Selvedge Denim Thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2020 8:50 am
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
5725 posts
333 upvotes
Toronto
SkimGuy wrote: Do you really need to wear your jeans every day to get fades? I only wear my jeans on Friday/the weekend and other days I have to wear dress pants. Will I still get fades (albeit take longer)?
You don't need to wear them everyday... it depends how fast you want to see results. The less you wear them, the longer it takes. It also depends what you do in them. People who cycle in their jeans tend to get fades sooner. If you're just sitting around in them then you it'll take longer.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3473 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
I don't get how people can do sports in jeans. I though everybody did those on track, shorts, or sweat pants. I couldn't imagine playing basketball in jeans
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 29, 2011
825 posts
68 upvotes
Matryx wrote: I don't get how people can do sports in jeans. I though everybody did those on track, shorts, or sweat pants. I couldn't imagine playing basketball in jeans
People don't do sports in jeans, except for dummies who only work out their upper bodies at the gym. By cycling he meant riding around town or to work/school or whatever.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 4, 2011
1582 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
Matryx wrote: I don't get how people can do sports in jeans. I though everybody did those on track, shorts, or sweat pants. I couldn't imagine playing basketball in jeans
Usually I don't do much sports I jeans. However if friends were casually shooting some hoops or I had to do some type of quick run I would most likely already have jeans on. I don't think anybody intentionally dons denim to exercise.

LOL although I have gone to the gym once in jeans just to use the cycling machine.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 6, 2009
1283 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone here hit the gyms in their raw denim?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 11, 2006
1375 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto
I've hit the cycling machine before in my jeans. But I was secretly trying to fade the jeans quicker while working my cardio.

2 birds 1 stone.
kthxbye
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 6, 2009
1283 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
import_nation wrote: I've hit the cycling machine before in my jeans. But I was secretly trying to fade the jeans quicker while working my cardio.

2 birds 1 stone.
Did you get mad honeycombfades?
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3473 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
I've always found it funny when people wear jeans and work out at the gym. Now I know why that one person does. It's for dem fades lol.

These already look awesome so why try to wear them out faster when you can just wear them when you want to. It will last longer and honestly I'm starting to like the deep indigo. Sure it will look nice with the fades and a wash after but I'm just going to wear them whenever and make them last.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 11, 2006
1375 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto
I only did that once and to be honest I was only at the gym to pick up a friend. I was waiting so decided to cycle for shits. I wouldn't suggest doing a full work out or any sort of intense exercise in raw denim. It'll just get sweaty and smelly
kthxbye
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3473 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know where I can try on some 3sixteen denims in Toronto?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2949 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
Club Monaco - Bloor Street and Yorkdale. Call first to confirm. Very nice denim, for sure a step up from N&F
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3473 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
Irbe wrote: Club Monaco - Bloor Street and Yorkdale. Call first to confirm. Very nice denim, for sure a step up from N&F
Thanks. I thought there were more retailers that sold this. Found it strange only that only Club Monaco carry them when I searched for retailers on the 3sixteen website.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2949 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah its not that widely available in Canada. I was at Yorkdale during holidays, they should have some since its a newer store.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2003
3133 posts
16 upvotes
Irbe wrote: Club Monaco - Bloor Street and Yorkdale. Call first to confirm. Very nice denim, for sure a step up from N&F
Step up?? Only if you want to pay more for the same quality.

3Sixteen Left Hand Twill Selvedge - $250
http://www.rawrdenim.com/2011/09/just-r ... raw-denim/

Naked & Famous Denim Left Hand Twill Selvedge -$140
http://tateandyoko.com/Naked-Famous-Sup ... vedge.html

Notice the Selvedge Edge detail, one side is white, the other side has the line going though. It's the identical fabric.

or take a look here.

3Sixteen Solid Black Selvedge - $240
http://www.3sixteen.com/collections/den ... edge-denim

Naked & Famous Denim Solid Black Selvedge - $170
http://tateandyoko.com/Naked-Famous-Wei ... vedge.html


Don't let price fool you.
Wealth Is Of The Heart And Mind, Not The Pocket
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 28, 2012
656 posts
45 upvotes
Waterloo
Cruel_Angel wrote: Step up?? Only if you want to pay more for the same quality.

3Sixteen Left Hand Twill Selvedge - $250
http://www.rawrdenim.com/2011/09/just-r ... raw-denim/

Naked & Famous Denim Left Hand Twill Selvedge -$140
http://tateandyoko.com/Naked-Famous-Sup ... vedge.html

Notice the Selvedge Edge detail, one side is white, the other side has the line going though. It's the identical fabric.

or take a look here.

3Sixteen Solid Black Selvedge - $240
http://www.3sixteen.com/collections/den ... edge-denim

Naked & Famous Denim Solid Black Selvedge - $170
http://tateandyoko.com/Naked-Famous-Wei ... vedge.html


Don't let price fool you.
If you say it like that , it sounds like you would be saying that gap selvage denim would be on par with apc. Which is definitely not true
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2003
3133 posts
16 upvotes
achineseguy wrote: If you say it like that , it sounds like you would be saying that gap selvage denim would be on par with apc. Which is definitely not true
The Gap and APC don't use the same fabric. You're correct not all Selvedge is made the same.

In this case take a look at those 2 fabrics, every single detail is the same.
Wealth Is Of The Heart And Mind, Not The Pocket
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 4, 2011
1582 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
While 3sixteen and n&f might have the same fabric, the construction quality is a slightly better. I can say that 3sixteen has better construction than n&f. $100 more value than naked and famous? Maybe not. But if just looking at overall jeans without price 3sixteen would rank above n&f by a bit.
Sr. Member
Apr 28, 2004
705 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
The 3sixteen vs. Naked & Famous is a very poor comparison, especially given the ones you've listed.

The 3sixteen x Barneys co-op is a limited edition with only 100 pairs made, LHT woven in Hiroshima, Tanner Goods leather patch, hidden selvedge coin pocket, selvedge fly, gunmetal hardware, made in the USA. The SL-100x (or SL-BNY1) is a unique fit not found with Naked & Famous.

The Naked & Famous LHT is a regular piece. LHT selvedge from somewhere in Japan (perhaps the same as above, however just because it's asymmetrical as the 3sixteen x Barneys does not indicate it's exactly the same), exposed selvedge coin pocket, made in Canada. Weird Guy and Skinny guy fit.

3sixteens and N&F are most likely dyed differently one may be more appealing than the other.
Construction of 3sixteens is superior to Naked & Famous, but that's not to say Naked & Famous construction is bad.

Sure the 3sixteen SL-BNY1 may be $100 more expensive than the N&F LHT but it caters to a different audience (similar to how Unbrandeds also cater to a different audience vs. N&F).

Top