• Aug 23rd, 2019 9:43 am
Tags:
None
Sep 7, 2006
617 posts
280 upvotes
duraikmurugan wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 9:50 pm
The sound quality when connected via BLE is good as well? I heard there is not aptx/ldac support after pie upgrade. This is the only reason keeping me on the fence.
So I'm pulling my hair out in regards to keeping this phone because all the features I desire in a phone are not avail with the razer phone 2. but the price/perf ratio is what makes this deal so hard to pass. I will compare this to my LG V20 as my baseline.

Pro:
  • As mentioned, the major feat about this phone is the Price to Performance ratio. Nearly unheard of when it comes down to it ( against a brand new phone)
  • Build quality is solid
  • Display refresh rate gives life to the phone
  • Removable storage if needed
  • USBC dac is pretty good although bass heavy
  • Front firing speakers make this phone a pleasure to watch videos on
Cons:
  • Weak camera options. Even with GCAM to me I'd want a wide angle camera at the very least.
  • No AOD. The v20 had the second screen which gave me the time and notifications. The RP2 doesn't have the time which forces you to turn the unit on all the time and the notification light is.. on the back ( RGB chroma)
  • Headphone Jack not available. I actually, for the first time in my life, needed to charge my phone on a portable charger while commuting and wanted to listen to my music but i couldnt. "WELL WHY NOT BLUETOOTH AUDIO?"
  • BECAUSE there is no support for "High"er definition bitrate over BT. no APTX, APTX HD, LDAC. Only way to get LDAC is to root and add the line to the buildprop (becomes exclusive to SONY products)
  • There isn't great support over the modding community. You pretty much need to be happy with what you have and not expect any more.
  • Battery life is not that much better than where I'm coming from.
  • HDR support on Netflix stripped away on PIE update. My phone had PIE preinstalled. I personally don't care all too much as I don't have the HDR netflix package but the screen isn't as impressive to have HDR on I'd say. And peak brightness is really low on this phone.

So as you can see im pretty torn. I mean by the time the cell phone market normalizes to 845/8gb performance i'd be ready for my next phone. I just turned my LG v20 on and cringed at the performance..... what does i does?
Last edited by IceCreamGee on Jul 24th, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 11, 2013
248 posts
302 upvotes
Brampton
IceCreamGee wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 10:07 pm
So I'm pulling my hair out in regards to keeping this phone because all the features I desire in a phone are not avail with the razer phone 2. but the price/perf ratio is what makes this deal so hard to pass. I will compare this to my LG V20 as my baseline.

Pro:
  • As mentioned, the major feat about this phone is the Price to Performance ratio. Nearly unheard of when it comes down to it ( against a brand new phone)
  • Build quality is solid
Cons:
  • Weak camera options. Even with GCAM to me I'd want a wide angle camera at the very least.
  • No AOD. The v20 had the second screen which gave me the time and notifications. The RP2 doesn't have the time which forces you to turn the unit on all the time and the notification light is.. on the back ( RGB chroma)
  • Headphone Jack not available. I actually, for the first time in my life, needed to charge my phone on a portable charger while commuting and wanted to listen to my music but i couldnt. "WELL WHY NOT BLUETOOTH AUDIO?"
  • BECAUSE there is no support for "High"er definition bitrate over BT. no APTX, APTX HD, LDAC. Only way to get LDAC is to root and add the line to the buildprop (becomes exclusive to SONY products)
  • There isn't great support over the modding community. You pretty much need to be happy with what you have and not expect any more.
  • HDR support on Netflix stripped away on PIE update. My phone was PIE ready. I personally don't care all too much as I don't have the HDR netflix package but the screen isn't as impressive to have HDR on I'd say. And peak brightness is really low on this phone.

So as you can see im pretty torn. I mean by the time the cell phone market normalizes to 845/8gb performance will take a while to the point where i'd be ready for my next phone. I just turned my LG v20 on and cringed at the performance..... what does i does?
Thank you for a detailed review.
I currently own an iPhone 6. Will definitely be a great upgrade.
I don't even care much for camera. But, lack of BT support is making me think really hard.
Oct 18, 2011
190 posts
130 upvotes
NORTH YORK
IceCreamGee wrote:

Pro:
  • Build quality is solid
Cons:
  • HDR support on Netflix stripped away on PIE update. My phone had PIE preinstalled. I personally don't care all too much as I don't have the HDR netflix package but the screen isn't as impressive to have HDR on I'd say. And peak brightness is really low on this phone.

So as you can see im pretty torn. I mean by the time the cell phone market normalizes to 845/8gb performance will take a while to the point where i'd be ready for my next phone. I just turned my LG v20 on and cringed at the performance..... what does i does?
So you're telling me that this thing doesn't have bluetooth connectivity AT ALL or that you just can't get access to high end BT audio output on your cans? As for me I don't care about high quality output, I'd be happy just so long as I can hear "something" coming out of my bluetooth headphones. I can sacrifice that for the high performance to price ratio of which you speak
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13228 posts
3457 upvotes
London
kevinshalfpenny wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 10:37 pm
So you're telling me that this thing doesn't have bluetooth connectivity AT ALL or that you just can't get access to high end BT audio output on your cans? As for me I don't care about high quality output, I'd be happy just so long as I can hear "something" coming out of my bluetooth headphones. I can sacrifice that for the high performance to price ratio of which you speak
You can use Bluetooth, you're just limited to sbc or aac
Mar 29, 2013
94 posts
57 upvotes
Surrey
All I can say is the phone is definitely worth the sale price. I won't be paying anything more than the sale price.
Aug 19, 2011
56 posts
2 upvotes
VANCOUVER
IceCreamGee wrote:

Pro:
  • Build quality is solid
Cons:

So as you can see im pretty torn. I mean by the time the cell phone market normalizes to 845/8gb performance i'd be ready for my next phone. I just turned my LG v20 on and cringed at the performance..... what does i does?
Pretty sure LDAC is an official part of Android starting with Android 8.
Jun 2, 2019
5 posts
1 upvote
The Big Smoke
This seems like a long time in the making. I had my Motorola razor in like 2005 or so. 10+yr between releases it must be really good
Jul 22, 2014
726 posts
1317 upvotes
Calgary, AB
MacDre wrote:
Jul 25th, 2019 3:39 am
This seems like a long time in the making. I had my Motorola razor in like 2005 or so. 10+yr between releases it must be really good
Maybe your are trolling, but if not, the device in this thread is not to be confused with the Motorola Razr.
Mar 11, 2013
248 posts
302 upvotes
Brampton
mfmfmf wrote:
Jul 25th, 2019 2:03 am
Pretty sure LDAC is an official part of Android starting with Android 8.
You are right. But to have it enabled in the device , the manufacturer should go through some certification process which Razer hasn’t. Similar case for aptx licensing as well.
Sep 7, 2006
617 posts
280 upvotes
duraikmurugan wrote:
Jul 25th, 2019 9:48 am
You are right. But to have it enabled in the device , the manufacturer should go through some certification process which Razer hasn’t. Similar case for aptx licensing as well.
This
Jun 2, 2019
5 posts
1 upvote
The Big Smoke
blyndfyre wrote:
Jul 25th, 2019 9:20 am
Maybe your are trolling, but if not, the device in this thread is not to be confused with the Motorola Razr.
Ah that's funny because there's a Tom's hardware about the 2019 Motorola razor when I searched it. Should be out mid 2019. My mistake
Dec 20, 2010
308 posts
175 upvotes
I presumed this was made by Motorola as well until I went to the site

Nobody is reporting any customs or anything with this? I'm wary of the disclaimer on their site regarding this
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1786 posts
285 upvotes
Hamilton
T_Ruff wrote:
Jul 25th, 2019 11:12 am
I presumed this was made by Motorola as well until I went to the site

Nobody is reporting any customs or anything with this? I'm wary of the disclaimer on their site regarding this
You pay what the price is...there is no extra customs/fees.
I got it in feb, came from Asia, no extra costs other than purchase price.
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨
Mar 11, 2013
248 posts
302 upvotes
Brampton
Razer has factory images published in their website. Can't we just falsh the device with the oreo image to get the codec issue resolved for now?
Does flasing the device void warranty?
Mar 31, 2009
225 posts
190 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan
Viper98 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 10:41 pm
You can use Bluetooth, you're just limited to sbc or aac
really? This is their definition of a high-quality, multimedia, gaming smartphone? No headphone jack and only basic Bluetooth support? How is anyone supposed to watch videos or play games on this phone? The latency will be absolute garbage and the audio will be unusable. SBC and AAC are fine for playing music where latency doesn't matter, but if you need Bluetooth to stay in sync with video of any kind, you need AptX or better codecs. This was a known problem 3 YEARS AGO with Sony and Bose wireless headphones, and yet this is what they're selling?