Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10869 posts
3387 upvotes

RBC Bank Signature Black USD Visa card

Just wondering if anyone else has this card? It's a no fee US bank, USD Dollar Visa

https://www.rbcbank.com/borrowing-in-th ... index.page

I just got this card, heading to Florida in a couple of weeks. Wondering how I can use it to pay for gas in the U.S. at the pump. Supposedly that's one of the features.

Any other good uses for the card?
Thread Summary
101 replies
Oct 27, 2009
313 posts
63 upvotes
I assume it would work same like MC - when the gas pump asks for a zip code, just use the three numbers from your postal code and add two zero at the end. M1C 2K3 == 12300

The card is OK, I've got it too. What I don't like is a foreign transaction fee 1.5%, which is being charged if you use the card outside US on top of currency exchange fee
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8508 posts
4338 upvotes
nickaslt wrote: I assume it would work same like MC - when the gas pump asks for a zip code, just use the three numbers from your postal code and add two zero at the end. M1C 2K3 == 12300

The card is OK, I've got it too. What I don't like is a foreign transaction fee 1.5%, which is being charged if you use the card outside US on top of currency exchange fee
This works with all the Canadian issued cards as well.
Sep 12, 2012
763 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
boyoflondon wrote: This works with all the Canadian issued cards as well.
What nickaslt is trying to say is that the credit card charges you an additional 1.5% foreign transaction fee if the transaction occurs outside of the US even though the vendor charges you in USD.

In Canada, as long as the vendor charges you in CAD there is no additional charge no matter where in the world the original charge occurs.
Feb 3, 2013
130 posts
52 upvotes
GREENWOOD
nickaslt wrote: I assume it would work same like MC - when the gas pump asks for a zip code, just use the three numbers from your postal code and add two zero at the end. M1C 2K3 == 12300

How do you pay bills for this card?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10869 posts
3387 upvotes

Thank you for the info - I could not find that zip code info anywhere.

Ya I noticed that when I charged something on Amazon.ca to it in error. Only for USD I guess. I set up a bank account with them also and they link it to your Canadian Accounts so you can transfer funds back and forth. Pretty handy I must say!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10869 posts
3387 upvotes
Really?? I have never heard this. Will have to try!

Wonder why RBC lists it as a feature of this card?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8508 posts
4338 upvotes
kool1 wrote: Really?? I have never heard this. Will have to try!

Wonder why RBC lists it as a feature of this card?
I've tried it with multiple cards as I frequent the US and can confirm it worked with all. I mainly use Amazon Visa to save on the FX fee just like you.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25157 posts
3093 upvotes
Montreal
sixcolors wrote: How do you pay bills for this card?
If you have an RBC bank account, you just transfer the money. If you have another US bank account, you use online bill payment. If you have neither, you stick a cheque in an envelope and mail it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10869 posts
3387 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: If you have an RBC bank account, you just transfer the money. If you have another US bank account, you use online bill payment. If you have neither, you stick a cheque in an envelope and mail it.
RBC Bank (US) has bank accounts that are in Georgia but link to your Canadian RBC bank if needed. Otherwise you can use on-line at their web site.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3992 upvotes
BC
hamandcheese wrote: What nickaslt is trying to say...
He was talking about the postal code to zip code "trick" for the gas station pay at the pump working for Canadian cards as well.

I've never really understood why this is a huge deal anyways since you can just go inside to prepay for gas.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Oct 27, 2009
313 posts
63 upvotes
ace604 wrote: I've never really understood why this is a huge deal anyways since you can just go inside to prepay for gas.
For me it's quote an annoyance, especially with rental cars and not knowing how big the tank is. I like to fill up full tank and then just go until it's almost depleted.
Hard to assume how much you'll need to fill, especially because of the unit conversion to gallons , and different currency
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8508 posts
4338 upvotes
ace604 wrote:
I've never really understood why this is a huge deal anyways since you can just go inside to prepay for gas.
Some parts of the US, you just wanna fill up and GTFO. At the same time, if one can do everything self-serve at the pump, why not.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10869 posts
3387 upvotes
ace604 wrote: He was talking about the postal code to zip code "trick" for the gas station pay at the pump working for Canadian cards as well.

I find it a major hassle. Sometimes you have to wait in line to prepay and again to get your change if it's a fill up. Makes the fill up process a pain in the butt IMO.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1122 posts
892 upvotes
Calgary
I can confirm the zip code trick works with postcodes from both Canada and the UK. I've used it on both UK, US and Canadian Amex and MasterCards and is always worked with the exception of one UK bank (who are a bit technology challenged anyway).