Credit Cards

RBC Credit Card 3 Cents off at PetroCanada-No longer get points for litres on Gift Card Balance?

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2021 10:37 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 9, 2020
923 posts
502 upvotes

RBC Credit Card 3 Cents off at PetroCanada-No longer get points for litres on Gift Card Balance?

Good day, went to fill up at Petro Canada this weekend.

Total Bill $39
Gas $35 (just over 28 liters)
Purchased in Store items $4

Payment
Gift Card for $25
Petro Points $8
RBC Credit Card 6

Its been a while since i filled up at Petro Canada. Usually when you pay with RBC Credit Card that is linked to Petro Points you get 3 cents off all litres of gas regardless whether you used a gift card or not as long as you paid some of the balance with an RBC Credit Card. This time I only received 15 cents off from RBC, so 5 litres at 3 cents. Did something change? In the past i would of received a discount of 84 cents (28 litres x 3 cents)

Can anyone explain?
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9530 posts
10827 upvotes
The Prairies
I’ve never paid for fuel at PC with anything other than 100% with the RBC credit card.
But it doesn’t make sense to me, why they would want to give you a discount on any portion not paid for by the card.
The $6 you paid with the credit card equates to around 5 litres of fuel, so you definitely got the points I would think you’re entitled to.
Did they really give you the discount on the whole purchase before, even when you used a gift card?
Because that just doesn’t make sense to me.
[OP]
Aug 9, 2020
923 posts
502 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote: I’ve never paid for fuel at PC with anything other than 100% with the RBC credit card.
But it doesn’t make sense to me, why they would want to give you a discount on any portion not paid for by the card.
The $6 you paid with the credit card equates to around 5 litres of fuel, so you definitely got the points I would think you’re entitled to.
Did they really give you the discount on the whole purchase before, even when you used a gift card?
Because that just doesn’t make sense to me.
I agree, it doesn't make sense that they would give the discount on the whole purchase when using a gift card for a portion of the purchase. However, they did give the discount on the entire purchase which allowed you to double dip (on the amount of the gift card) by buying gift cards at grocery stores where you could use a 4% card such a CIBC or Scotia Momentum (as long as you paid with some portion by RBC credit card). I usually had purchased $25 gift cards and say fill up with $26/$27 of gas. I have been double dipping for years but I guess they may have closed the loop whole/double dip scenario but trying to confirm with others here on RFD. That said, it is about 6 months since I last tried since travelling far less right now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)