4 posts
9 upvotes
toronto

[RBC] [Drop] 3% cash back at a bunch of merchants

Savings:
3% CB
Expiry:
October 31, 2020
If you have a linked RBC card on Drop, you get an extra 30 points/$1 = 3% cash back at Sobeys, Petro Canada, Roots, Rexall, HBC, Home Depot... Just activated it and filled up at Petro Canada, will follow up when points come through...
13 replies
Jun 17, 2006
576 posts
330 upvotes
Calgary
Not sure why this is getting downvotes (1up, 3 down when I am posting this). This is awesome.

If you take the top tier RBC cards as having a rate of return of 1.5% (rough estimate - it would vary by card), then this turns the RBC cards into a 4.5% return at these merchants.

BUT most of these merchants also have gift card malls - Sobeys, Rexall and Home Depot certainly do (I'm excluding Petro Canada as the ones near me all seem to be 7 Eleven and not sure how that will post). And those are stores people go to on a regular basis. So you buy gift cards for the stores you actually need and get the 4.5% return that way.

Drop has very good customer service. Sometimes transaction don't post properly but they've always credited me the missing points. There is also a referral program for new users.

Upvote from me OP.
eBay Feedback: 118 and counting.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2017
1130 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener
I'm a big fan of drop. Tons of great offers.

But RBC cards suck so much even with this offer, meh, not worth.

For sobeys use amex cobalt, 5% cash back / 6.6%+ in marriott points.

(didn't up or down vote, Neutral... If you already got an RBC card, why not. If your looking to get a card that works well with drop or other linkable/stackable apps like this (ampli and paymi being the other 2), amex works well. For merchants don't accept amex, the only one with okay % return and FYF atm is HSBC WE. Brim is better, but can't be linked to any of the 3 since they run their own eShop.

Also strange this is for drop.. Since RBC owns the competing app, Amplii.

And it should stack, atm Amplii offering 1% for rexall, or 2% if you use a RBC card, so stacked with this 5% + whatever crappy base RBC has, not bad. Though most stuff at rexall so overpriced, not amazing either. Good for gift cards.
Nov 3, 2018
388 posts
770 upvotes
RBC is an investor in Drop as well, which might explain the usage of RBC card. Maybe they are not getting the traction they want with Amplii, so they are shifting some of their partners to Drop.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1720 posts
506 upvotes
RBC always gives you $0.03/L (2.5% based on gas price of $1.25/L) off at Petro, so if you stack that with Drop (3%) and Amplii (1%) that's 6.5% back on gas excluding any rewards you get from RBC. Not bad for something you need to buy anyways.
Mar 23, 2019
410 posts
230 upvotes
Any webpage or snapshot to show this promo?

I don’t see this in the drop app
Jun 23, 2011
22 posts
21 upvotes
PENTICTON
I dont see it now either. Was sure I registered.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1093 posts
369 upvotes
Eleventeen wrote: I'm a big fan of drop. Tons of great offers.

But RBC cards suck so much even with this offer, meh, not worth.

For sobeys use amex cobalt, 5% cash back / 6.6%+ in marriott points.

(didn't up or down vote, Neutral... If you already got an RBC card, why not. If your looking to get a card that works well with drop or other linkable/stackable apps like this (ampli and paymi being the other 2), amex works well. For merchants don't accept amex, the only one with okay % return and FYF atm is HSBC WE. Brim is better, but can't be linked to any of the 3 since they run their own eShop.

Also strange this is for drop.. Since RBC owns the competing app, Amplii.

And it should stack, atm Amplii offering 1% for rexall, or 2% if you use a RBC card, so stacked with this 5% + whatever crappy base RBC has, not bad. Though most stuff at rexall so overpriced, not amazing either. Good for gift cards.
What are some of the most worthwhile deals on Drop?
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2017
1130 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener
DrDoomsday wrote: What are some of the most worthwhile deals on Drop?
-4-5.2% on ubereats everyday thru a quick tap in the app. (Stack with 10%-20% off uber giftcards sometimes available at shoppers or the new moola app) Has the odd time it's double boosted to 8-10% too.
-Frequent "flash deals", which are usually 1000 points / $1 for just shopping at your favorite merchant of your choice. They lots of really popular spots like amazon, walmart, shoppers. (linked card offers so just a quick tap to activate)
-The base offer for the app also gives you 0.2-0.5% in points on all purchases at shoppers, walmart, lcbo or other popular places of your choice. (These offers are linked to the card too, so no need to do anything, it's just like a boost to your cashback on your credit card - though paid out in giftcards (amazon easiest).
-Tech deals like 10k points on staples/the source with low min spends. These are usually eShop offers, so gotta link thru the app.
In the past: big sign up bonuses that stack on top regular ones for various bank accounts, investment sites and credit cards. Lately it's all RBC cards though i guess due to their investment in drop. I got 300k++ points for various no annual fee cards, banks, especially EQbank which had 100k offer a long time back. i think the EQBank offer is still up, but lower value lately. KOHO i think is still on there too.
Dec 11, 2018
55 posts
55 upvotes
RockiestMountains wrote: Not sure why this is getting downvotes (1up, 3 down when I am posting this). This is awesome.

If you take the top tier RBC cards as having a rate of return of 1.5% (rough estimate - it would vary by card), then this turns the RBC cards into a 4.5% return at these merchants.

BUT most of these merchants also have gift card malls - Sobeys, Rexall and Home Depot certainly do (I'm excluding Petro Canada as the ones near me all seem to be 7 Eleven and not sure how that will post). And those are stores people go to on a regular basis. So you buy gift cards for the stores you actually need and get the 4.5% return that way.

Drop has very good customer service. Sometimes transaction don't post properly but they've always credited me the missing points. There is also a referral program for new users.

Upvote from me OP.
No points for gift card purchase according to the T&C
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2011
1438 posts
1084 upvotes
Whitby
RockiestMountains wrote: Not sure why this is getting downvotes (1up, 3 down when I am posting this). This is awesome.

Upvote from me OP.
The down vote is probably because this offer is not visible in the app. There is also no screenshot or link in OP confirming the offer.
[external link removed]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1093 posts
369 upvotes
Eleventeen wrote: -4-5.2% on ubereats everyday thru a quick tap in the app. (Stack with 10%-20% off uber giftcards sometimes available at shoppers or the new moola app) Has the odd time it's double boosted to 8-10% too.
-Frequent "flash deals", which are usually 1000 points / $1 for just shopping at your favorite merchant of your choice. They lots of really popular spots like amazon, walmart, shoppers. (linked card offers so just a quick tap to activate)
-The base offer for the app also gives you 0.2-0.5% in points on all purchases at shoppers, walmart, lcbo or other popular places of your choice. (These offers are linked to the card too, so no need to do anything, it's just like a boost to your cashback on your credit card - though paid out in giftcards (amazon easiest).
-Tech deals like 10k points on staples/the source with low min spends. These are usually eShop offers, so gotta link thru the app.
In the past: big sign up bonuses that stack on top regular ones for various bank accounts, investment sites and credit cards. Lately it's all RBC cards though i guess due to their investment in drop. I got 300k++ points for various no annual fee cards, banks, especially EQbank which had 100k offer a long time back. i think the EQBank offer is still up, but lower value lately. KOHO i think is still on there too.
Thanks!

Is that sign up bonus for signing up for Drop or is it something that shows up in Drop after you have it (e.g. Drop gives a pop-up in the app like get 100K points for opening an EQ account)?
Jun 17, 2006
576 posts
330 upvotes
Calgary
grindcoffee wrote: No points for gift card purchase according to the T&C
They can't see what you buy.
eBay Feedback: 118 and counting.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2017
1130 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener
DrDoomsday wrote: Thanks!

Is that sign up bonus for signing up for Drop or is it something that shows up in Drop after you have it (e.g. Drop gives a pop-up in the app like get 100K points for opening an EQ account)?
No. Everyone gets the same offers except the "Deals of the week" thing which is limited / you select one merchant.

There's no sign up bonus atm. Just a small referral bonus available.