None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2347 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto

RBC Infinite Avion conversion rate: Financial vs. Travel rewards

So I have had an RBC VISA for years now and have always used the points to convert to financial products (RRSP)

Last week, I got upgraded to the RBC Inifinite Avion and was given the welcome 15k RBC points. I already had some 10K and by the next cycle, I should have about 30k points, enough for $250 in RRSP money (or TFSA)

Basically, the conversion rate for their financial products is less than 1 cent on the dollar ($0.0083) .

Wondering what the conversion rate is on travel and if points are better spent there than on financial rewards? If it is at least 1$ = 100 points, then I may consider using my points for travel than on RRSP/TFSA.

thanks in advance!
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
11 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2347 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
By the way, when I got my card, they said I would get enough points (15K) for a short-haul flight, worth up to $350. That tells me that buying travel rewards with my RBC points will give me a better value on the dollar than to use my points to buy financial products (RRSP or TFSA) but I could be wrong?
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto
The regular "travel" rewards are like you suspected, 100 points = $1, but I think you need to book through them to claim the points, it's not like Amex or Capital One, for example, where you book travel whichever way you want, and redeem points later.

Flight rewards could be a better way to use the points, but fees and taxes are still payable in cash, so whether it's worth it depends on your itinerary.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2347 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
I just noticed they have an even worse conversion rate on gift cards: it is 14K for $100 gift card (ESSO, BestBuy, Canadian Tire etc.) which is $1 = 140 points.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2347 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
greenmoon wrote: The regular "travel" rewards are like you suspected, 100 points = $1, but I think you need to book through them to claim the points, it's not like Amex or Capital One, for example, where you book travel whichever way you want, and redeem points later.

Flight rewards could be a better way to use the points, but fees and taxes are still payable in cash, so whether it's worth it depends on your itinerary.
Interesting, thanks! So it is 100 points = $1, which is what I was suspecting. But like you said, I would still have to add taxes and fees which will end up being the same if not worst than to convert the points to their financial products.

BTW, I think the reason the conversion rate for their financial products is better than gift cards (120 to 140) is due to the fact that when you buy their financial products (RRSP, TFSA, mortgage voucher etc.) you are most likely keeping the money with them, so they get to benefit in the long term as well.
May 29, 2012
604 posts
247 upvotes
Southern Ontario
The travel rewards are better to use than the other stuff like financial rewards.
Our family business uses the avion to buy a lot of supplies so we earn a decent amount of points.
You can either use the block points to buy tickets like you have described 15k points for $350 max trip within the 15k points region, which is the Canada / US region.
Also you can use your points to redeem travel at a rate of 100 points for $1 in travel, which sometimes uses less points to pay for the same flight if its a cheaper one.
If you book less than 2 weeks before departure they make you use the 100 pts to $1 conversion rate.

here is the link for what you can do

so at worst the points transfer at 1 cent per point, up to a possible 2 cents per point.

keep in my the points blocks will only cover the base fare, you still have to pay the fees and taxes with either $ or more points.
But its still a good use for the points, my family gets to travel very cheaply because of this card.
Jan 26, 2014
45 posts
12 upvotes
when you redeem points for travel you earn frequent flyer miles as well. This slightly increased the travel redemption rate further.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2316 posts
1100 upvotes
Alberta
The best use of avion points is to convert them to Avios points to be used on British airways and their partners (American Airlines , Iberia, LAN etc). They have 50% promos a few times a year. Converting 100 avion points gives you 150 Avios.

Return flight to Chicago is 9000 points or only 6000 rbc avion points. Chicago is about $300 return. So your return rate is 300/6000= 5%.

But you are restricted on what airlines and only if they have reward flights available. I flew my family of 4 to Miami for a cruise all on points, cost me 170 in taxes total.
May 22, 2011
109 posts
105 upvotes
I value them as follows:
1 Avion=1.5 Avios
1.5 Avios*0.017USD/Avios*1.25CAD/USD= ~3.2%
Of course it all depends on how much you value Avios miles
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
29093 posts
4782 upvotes
Montreal
The potential reward can get above 2%, when using the Avion redemption schedule (not the standard 100=1).

https://www.rbcrewards.com/travel-rewar ... tion-grid/

If you manage to hit the top of the tier (i.e. 750$ ticket for 35000 points) you can get 2-2.1%. Unfortunately that 750$ does not include taxes and fees, and can only be for economy tickets. Find me a North American coach flight for 750$ before taxes and fees, and I'll eat my hat.
May 23, 2004
205 posts
31 upvotes
The best thing I find is doing multi city itineraries for a flight reward redemption.. For 35,000 points you can add as many segments you want within Canada and the States to make up $750 before tax.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4291 posts
1467 upvotes
Vancouver
Transfer the RBC points to frequent flyer programs using transfer promos. There always seems to be a 50% bonus promo going on with this card.

So 35,000 (or $35,000 in spend) gets you anywhere in NA with a ticket worth a maximum of $700 before taxes and fees? That means you max out at 2% return for a ticket you probably won't be able to find anyway because that is an expensive base fare.

If you transfer 40,000 points using a transfer promo, you could fly to Europe on Avios and pay only the taxes and fees (with ways to avoid as much as possible). You also would only need to transfer 17,000 points to redeem for an Avios ticket from coast-to-coast (Vancouver to New York) and maybe $100 for taxes and fees. You could travel something like Toronto to New York for 6000 points + $50..... That's like a $400 flight... so $6000 in spend for $350 in return = 5.8% return... Yeah, I'm pretty sure these transfer promos are the way to go as long as you can deal with limited flexibility on reward tickets (hard to find availability).
Removed external link in signature.