RBC Line of Credit as PAP Account?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2021 4:09 pm
[OP]
Jan 7, 2019
368 posts
370 upvotes

RBC Line of Credit as PAP Account?

I'm sure this has been asked before but my search yielded no results...

Has anyone set up their line of credit or homeline plan line of credit as a pre-authorized payment account? I tried setting it up on Toronto Hydro with my line of credit account number + Transit + bank code and it was accepted but am not sure it'll actually work on the day of...

Thanks!
Remember to always Thumbs Up good responses! Spread positively.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1536 posts
1773 upvotes
The RBC line of credit doesn't work like this, such a transaction will fail. You need an RBC bank account to use with it.
🏦 Banking: Motive Financial (1.25%, No fees), Alterna Bank (0.9%, No fees)
📈 Investing: Scotia iTRADE (XGRO, No fees)
💳 Spending: MBNA Rewards World Elite (5.5pts dine/utilities, 1.1pts rest), Brim Mastercard (1%, forex)
[OP]
Jan 7, 2019
368 posts
370 upvotes
I tried calling telephone banking and they said it should go through but wasn't able to confirm. They said if I were to set up a fixed payment option through pay bills, I could use my line of credit and that would work.

Guess i'll have to wait until the bill gets proceed to see if it works...
Remember to always Thumbs Up good responses! Spread positively.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1536 posts
1773 upvotes
Yes, you can do bill payments inside RBC from the line of credit to a bill payee. You can't do pre-authorized debit of an LOC, or pre-authorized credit, or pay the line of credit from outside.
🏦 Banking: Motive Financial (1.25%, No fees), Alterna Bank (0.9%, No fees)
📈 Investing: Scotia iTRADE (XGRO, No fees)
💳 Spending: MBNA Rewards World Elite (5.5pts dine/utilities, 1.1pts rest), Brim Mastercard (1%, forex)
Mar 18, 2006
187 posts
166 upvotes
BrokeMillennial wrote: Guess i'll have to wait until the bill gets proceed to see if it works...
joshnet wrote: Yes, you can do bill payments inside RBC from the line of credit to a bill payee. You can't do pre-authorized debit of an LOC, or pre-authorized credit, or pay the line of credit from outside.
joshnet is correct in all his statements. You can't even make a payment to their LOC from their own ATM (you have to pay the LOC at the teller).

I suspect your payment will not go through even though you were able to set it up. RBC will reject it when requested by the other institution (on behalf of Toronto Hydro).