• Jun 15th, 2019 8:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1829 posts
250 upvotes
St. Johns

RBC MC won't repay for fraudulent charges from McDonalds App

Last night I noticed two charges were made on my RBC Mastercard for two different McDonalds locations in Ontario (I live in Newfoundland). I contacted RBC this morning and they said that it isn't their responsibility to cancel the charges and that McDonalds would need to refund me the money. RBC stated that because the charges came from an APP it wasn't their responsibility and only offered to cancel my current card and send out a new one. I contacted McDonalds who said because it is a fraudulent charge, that the financial institution would need to address the charge.

So right now neither company wants to take responsibility and I'm out almost $100. Any advice?
65 replies
Aug 13, 2006
725 posts
472 upvotes
Ottawa
RyanS219 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 11:14 am
I contacted RBC this morning and they said that it isn't their responsibility to cancel the charges and that McDonalds would need to refund me the money.
RBC cannot just "cancel" charges. That's not how it works. What you need to do is to start a process of disputing transactions. When you call RBC next time just simply tell them that you don't recognize these 2 transactions and would like to start a process of disputing them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1829 posts
250 upvotes
St. Johns
eugene_2005 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 11:31 am
RBC cannot just "cancel" charges. That's not how it works. What you need to do is to start a process of disputing transactions. When you call RBC next time just simply tell them that you don't recognize these 2 transactions and would like to start a process of disputing them.
That is exactly what I did and he he said that they are considered fraudulent charges but because they were placed by an "app" it wasn't their responsibility. I'll try and contact them again shortly, hopefully I get a better answer.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3473 posts
1201 upvotes
Quebec
Happened to me a few weeks ago, it was 3 am and was sleeping in my home in quebec city, then a mcdonald in Montréal received an order from the app, so they proceed it.

I contacted the mcdonald Location(it showed in capitalone website) and they said, they received an online order, so they charge the cc but nobody showed up to pickup.

They also said they can reimburse me if i go in person...i said, i am not gonna drive 3h and spend 60$ of gaz to have 10$ reimburse.

Anyway, i contacted mcdonald head office, explaining the situation, they just answered to me its impossible, as i need to show up for an online order to process and charge to the cc.

So i end up calling mc to dispute the charge, they were really not sure to able to reverse the charge, but will still do it because it was only 10$, but mcdonald have 45 days to proof that the transaction is legit.

Anyway, long story short, i find out that 0 reliability mc politics is bullshit.
Last edited by HyperTech on Oct 15th, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3473 posts
1201 upvotes
Quebec
Mcdonald dont want to admit it, but there is a huge bug/problem with their app/online order system that make app auto order stuff randomly.

I had to cancel my card and order a new one to avoid this to happen again.

Oh and i deleted the app also.
Temp. Banned
Apr 20, 2018
151 posts
70 upvotes
Just to say, NEVER accept the word of the 1st customer service rep you run across. Ever.
Aug 13, 2006
725 posts
472 upvotes
Ottawa
RyanS219 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 11:40 am
That is exactly what I did and he he said that they are considered fraudulent charges but because they were placed by an "app" it wasn't their responsibility.
Well, it doesn't matter how charges were applied to your account by app or by some other means. They cannot refuse you to start the process of disputing charges. The dispute process may not end up in your favor but they cannot refuse the process. Just insist on starting it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9740 posts
6132 upvotes
Edmonton
Interesting... I had this happen on my Capital 1 Costco card last month. They notified me that I had a transaction from McDonald's in California. Had no problems disputing it and getting a refund (and a new card). I'd say the McDonald's app has some major issues...

C
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28779 posts
14590 upvotes
Ottawa
You need to get transferred over to the dispute department.
Sep 9, 2005
732 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
I once had two charges go through on the app for the same order. It hiccuped when I confirmed my order and popped up a "try again" button. I clicked it and all went through. I later saw that two charges posted to my Amex. They weren't duplicate as one had a coupon applied, the second didn't. When I contacted McDonald's, like everyone else has experienced, they didn't have any interest in looking into it. I called Amex to dispute and they said because it's only $8 and I'd been a member for years, they'd just instantly credit my account and not bother going through the dispute process. Score one for Amex customer service.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
1487 posts
790 upvotes
TORONTO
RyanS219 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 11:40 am
That is exactly what I did and he he said that they are considered fraudulent charges but because they were placed by an "app" it wasn't their responsibility. I'll try and contact them again shortly, hopefully I get a better answer.
If the RBC rep says that again, interrupt and say, "Great. You admit that these are fraudulent charges. So you will be removing these fraudulent charges from my bill immediately."
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
5500 posts
4596 upvotes
Here on earth
I use the app quite often, and have had issues with the finalizing part of the order, but ONLY with my Scotia Amex.
It would get to the point where it charges the card, but then it says there was a problem with the payment.
So I would try a second time and same thing.
I look on my online banking, and see two authorizations, so the payment did go through, but the app says it didn’t.
In my case though, the charges would post then immediately refund.
I have now attached my Capital One card to the app instead, and not a single issue.
I also had issues with the Scotia Amex and Android pay, so I gave up using AP with this card.
Now I’m back to Apple, and Apple Pay has worked flawlessly with this card.
Jan 2, 2009
193 posts
64 upvotes
Man I just used the app yesterday for the first time to get the $5 promo credit on my Cobalt Amex. Is this a tale of things to come that I will have to deal with? Ugh...
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
1713 posts
456 upvotes
Mississauga
I still don't enter my cc in apps... any freebies is not worth the hassle.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
3159 posts
497 upvotes
RyanS219 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 11:14 am
Last night I noticed two charges were made on my RBC Mastercard for two different McDonalds locations in Ontario (I live in Newfoundland). I contacted RBC this morning and they said that it isn't their responsibility to cancel the charges and that McDonalds would need to refund me the money. RBC stated that because the charges came from an APP it wasn't their responsibility and only offered to cancel my current card and send out a new one. I contacted McDonalds who said because it is a fraudulent charge, that the financial institution would need to address the charge.

So right now neither company wants to take responsibility and I'm out almost $100. Any advice?
I just had this happen to me today. OP did you have any success getting your money back?