Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
RBC

RBC Avion 50% transfer bonus to BA

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2019 2:29 pm
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10597 posts
4844 upvotes
Burnaby

RBC Avion 50% transfer bonus to BA

Deal Link:
Expiry:
December 15, 2019
Retailer:
RBC
Best deal in a long time (typically 30% recently). History: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/avion-am ... y-1138250/

https://www.britishairways.com/en-ca/of ... bc-rewards

Explore London and beyond with even more Avios.

As an RBC Avion Cardholder, we’re delighted to bring you an exclusive offer - receive 50% more Avios when you convert your RBC Rewards® points now.

Then you can use your Avios to save on flights and get 50% more Avios when you convert your RBC Rewards points between now and December 15, 2019. That’s 1.3 Avios for every RBC Rewards point converted.

As an RBC Avion® cardholder+ you can convert RBC Rewards points to Avios as often as you want. A minimum of 10,000 RBC Rewards points must be converted to receive your 50% bonus Avios.

Make sure your details are accurate and consistent with your Executive Club Membership profile to ensure you receive your Avios bonus. If you prefer to convert your RBC Rewards points by phone, please call 1 800 769-2512.
91 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6371 posts
6733 upvotes
Center of Canada
Nice, they been doing 30% for years now, finally back to 50%
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2005
2775 posts
2127 upvotes
One second, my math teacher told me additional 50% should be 1.5, right?
"That’s 1.3 Avios for every RBC Rewards point converted."
Oct 12, 2010
324 posts
154 upvotes
raccoon wrote: One second, my math teacher told me additional 50% should be 1.5, right?
"That’s 1.3 Avios for every RBC Rewards point converted."
"A minimum of 10,000 RBC Rewards points must be converted to receive your 50% bonus Avios." I think its 1.5 if you convert more than 10k, 1.3 if you convert less.
Mar 26, 2008
258 posts
71 upvotes
What are Avios good for when flying out of Canada?
Jul 10, 2007
457 posts
340 upvotes
Hmmm. Looks like they are saying two very different things here. In the Terms, the first item says:
This offer is available beginning November 1, 2019 at 12:01 AM PST, ending December 15, 2019 at 11:59 PM PST. For every 10 RBC Rewards points which are converted, you will receive 13 Avios. Please allow up to 4 weeks for your RBC Rewards points to be converted and for your Avios points to appear in your British Airways Executive Club account. Once RBC Rewards points are converted to Avios, they may not be reversed/returned or converted back to RBC Rewards points. Payment with Avios prices can change with no notice given. A minimum of 10,000 RBC Rewards points must be converted, and .. blah blah blah.
If it is indeed 50% like the headlines say, they have left multiple references to 30% strewn about.

I’d love to convert some points, but will wait to see them fix these details, or someone else volunteers to be the guinea pig... Who wants to go first?
Mar 16, 2010
132 posts
115 upvotes
karsongp wrote: What are Avios good for when flying out of Canada?
Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong (can connect to other cities in Asia) out of YVR/YYZ
Japan Airlines to Japan (can connect to other cities in Asia) out of YVR
Qantas to Australia (seasonal) out of YVR
British Airways to UK (can connect to other cities in Europe) out of YVR/YYZ/YUL/YYC(seasonal) - beware of high fuel surcharges and fees
Qatar Airways to Qatar (can connect to other cities in Middle East) out of YUL
Aer Lingus to Ireland (can connect to other cities in Europe) out of YYZ
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2014
1579 posts
3141 upvotes
Calgary, AB
raster wrote: Hmmm. Looks like they are saying two very different things here. In the Terms, the first item says:

If it is indeed 50% like the headlines say, they have left multiple references to 30% strewn about.

I’d love to convert some points, but will wait to see them fix these details, or someone else volunteers to be the guinea pig... Who wants to go first?
I've submitted my request to transfer 20k+ points already. I will report back when it goes through.
Last edited by asbraich on Nov 1st, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 27, 2011
664 posts
542 upvotes
AB
Are there any drawbacks of converting assuming all the points we have would be used towards flight/travel anyways? For example, are there certain Canadian airlines that would go to places BA does not that we should take into consideration before converting points? Sorry I'm an inexperienced traveler and haven't redeemed my points yet since getting an Avion.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2005
2775 posts
2127 upvotes
BA is also good for short distance trip, more detail see here
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
2565 posts
2828 upvotes
Montréal
karsongp wrote: What are Avios good for when flying out of Canada?
With that specific card, yearly bonus and the two-for-one voucher you get for hitting a yearly spend ($30K?, don't have the card anymore and can't churn RBC AFAIK) F tickets are the best way to do it. Taxes are hefty since you have to go via LHR on those however. Short-haul flights are also good use of Avios since it is distanced based.
Jan 8, 2018
153 posts
81 upvotes
gyu138 wrote: Are there any drawbacks of converting assuming all the points we have would be used towards flight/travel anyways? For example, are there certain Canadian airlines that would go to places BA does not that we should take into consideration before converting points? Sorry I'm an inexperienced traveler and haven't redeemed my points yet since getting an Avion.
They are really good for short distances flights. I used them a bunch while in asia on Cathay airlines.

I'm currently planning a trip to europe and found flights between london and rome for 13000 avios + 55 CAD in taxes for 2 people.
Jan 12, 2007
461 posts
170 upvotes
The only caveat is booking via BA tool is difficult. I always find difficulty with availability..
Dec 27, 2011
664 posts
542 upvotes
AB
Gchase2 wrote: They are really good for short distances flights. I used them a bunch while in asia on Cathay airlines.

I'm currently planning a trip to europe and found flights between london and rome for 13000 avios + 55 CAD in taxes for 2 people.
Thanks for the insight! Would this be flying to europe from Canada using Avios? Or do you mean you would use a Canadian airline to fly to London then use Avios to fly from London to Rome?
Mar 13, 2006
444 posts
275 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vancdeals wrote: The only caveat is booking via BA tool is difficult. I always find difficulty with availability..
I called and asked about that. Rep says people book months in advance, because it doesn't cost anything to cancel... :s
When I looked a month before flying, short Asia flights had very slim pickings.
<3
Mar 13, 2006
444 posts
275 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Gchase2 wrote: They are really good for short distances flights. I used them a bunch while in asia on Cathay airlines.

Everything has to go through London though, flights not by BA themselves (not connecting through LHR or Gatwick) seems to cost more...
I want to plan a trip through multiple cities in Europe (mainly Italy) trying to use all points, let me know if you have any pointers. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes TIA!
<3
Mar 26, 2008
258 posts
71 upvotes
vancdeals wrote: The only caveat is booking via BA tool is difficult. I always find difficulty with availability..
Agreed.. Everytime I've tried I haven't been able to find squat and the system is so slow.
Jan 8, 2018
153 posts
81 upvotes
gyu138 wrote: Thanks for the insight! Would this be flying to europe from Canada using Avios? Or do you mean you would use a Canadian airline to fly to London then use Avios to fly from London to Rome?
Yes, I will be using westjet to get to europe and then using avios to fly to rome.

Avios main carrier is British Airways and their home base is london, so I can use Avios to fly from london to rome and also use those points to fly back to london before coming back to Canada.

I'm by no means an expert in maximizing full value outta my points, but this is how i use Avios.
Jan 8, 2018
153 posts
81 upvotes
kathkath wrote: Everything has to go through London though, flights not by BA themselves (not connecting through LHR or Gatwick) seems to cost more...
I want to plan a trip through multiple cities in Europe (mainly Italy) trying to use all points, let me know if you have any pointers. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes TIA!
Sounds like we are planning the same trip lol. I'm looking at Rome - Florence - Milan and my research says to take a train within the cities since they are 1-2 hrs apart by train. Flying would seem to take more time from all the waiting.

I am also trying to get to athens as well and am looking to see how I can use some avios to fly there, but if can't use points, I found some RyanAir flights from Rome to Athens that cost around $150 for 2 people.

I'll keep you posted
Deal Addict
May 12, 2007
1354 posts
700 upvotes
Hmm, I go to Japan once a year..
I have about 55k Avion points.
I eventually wanted to buy a round trip ticket and then use my Aeroplan points to upgrade to business class.
Would switching to Avios be a bad idea?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)