Expired Hot Deals

[RBC] RBC - getdigs.io - Pay Rent with your Credit Card (no fee if RBC, BC/ON only)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 6:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3079 posts
1690 upvotes
Toronto

RBC - getdigs.io - Pay Rent with your Credit Card (no fee if RBC, BC/ON only)

Deal Link:
Retailer:
RBC
There is a short thread here discussing this but I thought I'd toss his in Hot Deals as well. I signed up for this over a month ago as I use an RBC Credit Card (0% cost) and figured I may as well get points for my rent. Process was fairly easy to sign up - they will need your card info, personal info, your landlord's info (they don't need to confirm anything, but get an e-transfer from RBC), and to verify your identity, a photo of your driver's license. Your landlord just gets an etransfer and doesn't need to sign up.

FAQ is here
Have an RBC credit card? Use your RBC credit card to pay rent through Get Digs and the transaction fee is waived!
For non-RBC cards, Get Digs charges a transaction fee on each rent payment made through our platform (1.5% for VISA and Mastercard, and 2.99% for American Express). The service fee will be charged within 60 days of your rent payment date.
May not be a "Hot" deal but considering RBC already has all this info on me anyways I may as well get reimbursed for some of the absurd Toronto rents we pay these days.
Last edited by AstonM on May 9th, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
194 replies
Nov 2, 2017
17 posts
8 upvotes
This is VERY useful, although "Available in BC and Ontario" :(
Nov 2, 2017
17 posts
8 upvotes
Also, would you be able to accumulate double the points if you live with someone? Claim you're subletting from them? Pay them, earn points, have them pay your land lord and earn points?
could be a work around to get a lot of points.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
6033 posts
5869 upvotes
Downtown Canada
I would love to pay my mortgage and property taxes with this
Mar 7, 2011
39 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
what is stopping someone from paying "a landlord". landlord pays you back. rinse and repeat?
Dec 28, 2011
238 posts
49 upvotes
Some strange ideas here.. any payment you pay through e-transfer should be tagged as income. Your landlord has to show that to CRA. So keep away as "a landlord". Can get into trouble.
Nov 2, 2017
17 posts
8 upvotes
Yes but in this case youre earning fictional rbc points, not money. So i dont really see how the CRA can come after you.
Jan 18, 2012
843 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
That's neat, only if it allowed us to pay everything else like utilities and mortgage :D
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
2079 posts
1107 upvotes
Ottawa
This seems crazy. Up to $5500 a month. Thats a lot of free points!
Dec 8, 2006
939 posts
547 upvotes
I've been using this for 8 months now (joined when they first launched). It's been great!

Been contemplating which card is best to collect points on it. Right now have the West Jet World Elite.
Zoomer Wireless User
----
For Sale in Toronto -- iPhone 12 Blue 128GB -- $1100
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3079 posts
1690 upvotes
Toronto
DerekG551681 wrote: Also, would you be able to accumulate double the points if you live with someone? Claim you're subletting from them? Pay them, earn points, have them pay your land lord and earn points?
could be a work around to get a lot of points.
I'm sure you are breaking some sort of terms by doing so, plus they have all your info and associated credit card/etransfer address. Not sure if that's worth it/ethical...
DerekG551681 wrote: This is VERY useful, although "Available in BC and Ontario" :(
Updated title
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
2079 posts
1107 upvotes
Ottawa
AstonM wrote: I'm sure you are breaking some sort of terms by doing so, plus they have all your info and associated credit card/etransfer address. Not sure if that's worth it/ethical...

Updated title
Whats stopping me from sending my wife $5500 a month and calling it rent? Or sending it to myself?

Ethics? Good one lol
Feb 1, 2009
84 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
FWApocalypse wrote: what is stopping someone from paying "a landlord". landlord pays you back. rinse and repeat?
The 1.5% transaction fee is the key point, it's not free to use this service just to get points. It's cheaper than using a loan though if one needs to borrow money.
Dec 8, 2006
939 posts
547 upvotes
newdad123 wrote: The 1.5% transaction fee is the key point, it's not free to use this service just to get points. It's cheaper than using a loan though if one needs to borrow money.
Exactly.

But its free as long as you have a RBC card.
Zoomer Wireless User
----
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
6342 posts
4549 upvotes
Ottawa
Question: I get the 'e-transfer' part of this since I use it daily, but I currently have an 'auto-withdrawal' set up with an account number that takes money directly from my Savings straight to the rental property management. I have a feeling they won't be down for an e-transfer instead.
With Zoomer Wireless !
Dec 5, 2013
261 posts
96 upvotes
Hamilton
I pay cash, No deal for me, unfortunately.
Apr 5, 2013
142 posts
7 upvotes
I wonder how does this company generate income doing this? I would think they would lose money for processing fees.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2003
1650 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
TransporterSD wrote: I would love to pay my mortgage and property taxes with this
You can use PayTM to pay your property taxes with a Mastercard.
Dec 8, 2006
939 posts
547 upvotes
GreenFlagDeal wrote: I wonder how does this company generate income doing this? I would think they would lose money for processing fees.
Cross-selling RBC credit cards. They get you onto an RBC credit card and presumably you'll spend on the card for other products and services.
Zoomer Wireless User
----