• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2019 8:01 pm
Sep 23, 2007
227 posts
1018 upvotes
Vancouver
seaban wrote: Weird, I just ordered it earlier today and checked again and it's still there.
Can you post a screenshot?

I log in and see no deals. :(
Mar 2, 2017
880 posts
597 upvotes
is 25% off applicable to itunes? How do you know you're actually get $25 off? What is the value of 25 otherwise? I think $25 is 2650 points now. Does that mean they cost 3312 points otherwise? Can someone please validate this?
Nov 24, 2012
919 posts
703 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
What happened to the virtual certificates? Years ago, I recall ordering RBC Rewards certificates for Future Shop/Best Buy, receiving them by email, and being able to use them in-store that same day. However, that option appears to have been gone for quite some time.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3027 posts
418 upvotes
Ottawa
jaymn93 wrote: Just as a heads up, seems as tho the airline gcs give the most for your points.
I always understood that the best option was to change then to Avion points, but it strikes me as such an enormous hassle that I've never looked into it very deeply, especially because it seems like there are severe restrictions on how you can use Avion points.

But I don't think Air Canada points were an option before. How do those work?
Sep 29, 2007
590 posts
116 upvotes
Was always waiting for WestJet bonus conversion to move avion to wj. Tired of waiting and will get some gc's instead
Oct 29, 2019
13 posts
3 upvotes
On Avion, the redemption schedule is (coincidentally) 35,000 pts for a north american flight max price $750. So as OP has converted 35,000 to about $350 in GCs, that would be a poorer return than booking a flight at or above the max.
Mar 2, 2017
880 posts
597 upvotes
thehypo649423914 wrote: On Avion, the redemption schedule is (coincidentally) 35,000 pts for a north american flight max price $750. So as OP has converted 35,000 to about $350 in GCs, that would be a poorer return than booking a flight at or above the max.
Don’t forget you still have to pay taxes on the airfare but point well taken
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1828 posts
573 upvotes
thehypo649423914 wrote: On Avion, the redemption schedule is (coincidentally) 35,000 pts for a north american flight max price $750. So as OP has converted 35,000 to about $350 in GCs, that would be a poorer return than booking a flight at or above the max.
taxes are extra, and you gotta book through them too right?

so while if you can find a flight deal that works im sure its great, id imagine you can find cheaper flight deals elsewhere to offset?
Oct 29, 2019
13 posts
3 upvotes
>Don’t forget you still have to pay taxes on the airfare but point well taken

Yes, and you can get a flight over $750 and pay the difference. So as long as you max out your $750 entitlement, you've got that value for the points, and you'd have to pay those taxes anyway.

And yes, if you can find a better deal, you can. Their booking site appears to be run through expedia right now, so anything on expedia, it seems you can get through them. We just booked a flight on points a week or two ago because we simply couldn't find a "good " price on the only flight that worked for the time we neede to fly. The return flight was two times more than the outgoing flight. Softened the blow using points.

Bottom line is that you can get a value on filghts of between 42-50 points per dollar on flights (the lowest cost flights redeem at the best rate) which is at or more than double the current "good deal" for gift cards of about 100 points per dollar.

So even if you can get an $800 flight for $700 elsewhere, you're still getting a better value for your points than with other uses. You just might feel it's worth saving your points for a future trip in that case (though one imagines that over time, the redemption schedule will only get tighter and the points less valuable).

But yes, the "I can get a better deal paying cash" bug has bit me and is a reason I haven't used points that often. On this trip, it's somewhat last minute and I don't expect there are many seats left - so I don't think the price is going to go down. The points are good for last-minute travel where your options are limited.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
11963 posts
1087 upvotes
Brampton
The only gift card I see that shows a discount is for a $25 Amazon card.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Jan 22, 2007
307 posts
135 upvotes
tvisforme wrote: What happened to the virtual certificates? Years ago, I recall ordering RBC Rewards certificates for Future Shop/Best Buy, receiving them by email, and being able to use them in-store that same day. However, that option appears to have been gone for quite some time.
they claimed that there was a lot of fraud/stolen points on the e-certs. now they snail mail or UPS the plastic GC's.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1151 posts
217 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote: The only gift card I see that shows a discount is for a $25 Amazon card.
Same. I only clicked on some random ones and the only "deal" I saw was the $25 = 2,500 points.