Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1173 posts
590 upvotes
Calgary

Get 20% points back when you book a flight

Retailer:
RBC Rewards
On February 13 and 14, book a round-trip flight through the Air Travel Redemption Schedule using RBC Rewards points and get 20% points back!

Also

Get 8X the RBC Rewards points when you redeem for select gift cards like Hudson’s Bay, Saks 5th Avenue and more. Valid until February 28th.

It's a great redemption if you just got the card from the 35K bonus offer!

TOC:

This offer is available exclusively to RBC® Avion® Cardholders for two (2) days beginning February 13, 2020 at 12:01 AM EST and ending February 14, 2020 at 11:59 PM EST (“Offer Period”). The offer applies to a new round trip air travel booking made under the Air Travel Redemption Schedule through RBC Rewards® Travel for travel to be completed within one (1) year of the booking date and paid for by redeeming RBC Rewards points or with a combination of RBC Rewards points and a credit card charge (“Qualifying Booking”). The offer also applies to RBC Rewards points redeemed to pay for applicable taxes, surcharges and fees for a Qualifying Booking and to any additional RBC Rewards points purchased using a credit card to reach the required number of points for that Qualifying Booking or to cover the difference when the cost of the Qualify Purchase exceeds the Maximum Ticket Price for that flight category. For Air Travel Reward redemption details, visit www.rbcrewards.com/travel. For complete terms and conditions that apply to the RBC Rewards program, please visit www.rbcrewards.com or call 1-800-769-2512.

This offer does not apply to any RBC Rewards redemptions for hotels, car rentals, tours, cruises, vacation packages, or for air flights that are not booked under the Air Travel Redemption Schedule, or to bookings made through third party online retailers or other wholesalers including Carlson Wagonlit Travel. All air travel is subject to availability. The 20% RBC Rewards points “give back” will be applied to your RBC Rewards points balance within four (4) to six (6) weeks of the booking date. If you cancel a Qualifying Booking you will not receive the 20% RBC Rewards “give back” and these points will be subtracted from your RBC Rewards balance if they have been applied prior to the cancellation. This offer may not be combined or used in conjunction with any other offer. Royal Bank of Canada reserves the right to cancel, modify, or withdraw this offer at any time.
Last edited by ibuddler on Feb 12th, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1173 posts
590 upvotes
Calgary
Air Travel Redemption Schedule:

15,000 pts
Quick Getaways
Within or to an adjacent province/territory
Within or to an adjacent U.S. state
Max Ticket Price* $350

35,000 pts
Explore North America
Anywhere in Canada/U.S. except Hawaii and Alaska
Max Ticket Price* $750

45,000 pts
Holiday Destinations
Western Canada/U.S. to Mexico, Hawaii, Alaska
Eastern Canada to Bermuda, Central America, Caribbean
Max Ticket Price* $900

55,000 pts
Take a Vacation
Eastern Canada/U.S. to Mexico, Hawaii, Alaska
Western Canada to Bermuda, Central America, Caribbean
Max Ticket Price* $1,100

65,000 pts
Visit Europe
Major gateway in Canada/U.S. to destinations in Europe
Max Ticket Price* $1,300

100,000 pts
See the World
Major gateway in Canada/U.S. to destinations in Asia, Australia, New Zealand, South Pacific, Middle East, Africa, South America
Max Ticket Price* $2,000
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1173 posts
590 upvotes
Calgary
Also RBC Travel Redemption is very good because:

1. You can redeem for first or business class seats as long as it's within the Maximum Ticket Price! Works great if you fly to Asia or Europe!

2. You can add as many stopovers as you want as long as it's within the Maximum Ticket Price! So for 100k pts, you can at least make 2-3 stops around the world if you fly economy!

3. No blackout dates! You can book your flight during the long weekend as long as it's within the Maximum Ticket Price!
Jul 9, 2010
40 posts
36 upvotes
ibuddler wrote: Also RBC Travel Redemption is very good because:

1. You can redeem for first or business class seats as long as it's within the Maximum Ticket Price! Works great if you fly to Asia or Europe!

2. You can add as many stopovers as you want as long as it's within the Maximum Ticket Price! So for 100k pts, you can at least make 2-3 stops around the world if you fly economy!

3. No blackout dates! You can book your flight during the long weekend as long as it's within the Maximum Ticket Price!
Thanks for posting, just saw the email and came here to check for a discussion on it.

Finding a route within the maximum price is the catch that always stops me from redeeming. Like Point #1 for example, its hard to find a business ticket to Asia under 2k
Feb 20, 2011
572 posts
146 upvotes
downtown TO
smmr wrote: Thanks for posting, just saw the email and came here to check for a discussion on it.

Finding a route within the maximum price is the catch that always stops me from redeeming. Like Point #1 for example, its hard to find a business ticket to Asia under 2k
Can u book 4 tickets at the max each?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1173 posts
590 upvotes
Calgary
smmr wrote: Thanks for posting, just saw the email and came here to check for a discussion on it.

Yes. Because of the corona-virus and Japan Olympic, it's pretty hard to find a business flights to Asia within the next 6 months. Usually I fly from LAX/YVR to Asia and normally you will get a good deal for less than 2k.

But currently, I would suggest fly 35K within US and Canada during the long weekend. You can also add stopovers! That would be 56K points for 2 people after the point back.

Example itinerary:

YUL - > LAX June 29
LAX -> NYC July 02
NYC -> YUL JUly 05

All non-stop flights and that will be only 28K + $170! (after the point back) Same itinerary from google flight will cost you 723!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1173 posts
590 upvotes
Calgary
irishguy wrote: Can u book 4 tickets at the max each?
Yes. You can book each ticket at the max. The most flexible and best value redemption would be 35K with multiple stops.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2110 posts
354 upvotes
Darn, I have their WestJet World Elite MasterCard. No love.
Feb 20, 2011
572 posts
146 upvotes
downtown TO
ibuddler wrote: Yes. You can book each ticket at the max. The most flexible and best value redemption would be 35K with multiple stops.
Thank you
Oct 29, 2019
24 posts
18 upvotes
I'm a bit confused, RBC noobie here.
If i book using my points at a rate of 100 pts = $1.00, does that mean I do not get 20% back in points?
I'm trying to book 2 tickets to asia but do not have enough points for both tickets, therefore I have to use the 100pts rate.

Also, does flying to one city and flying back from a different city not count as a roundtrip?

Thanks in advance!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5533 posts
1279 upvotes
ibuddler wrote: Also RBC Travel Redemption is very good because:

Is that new? I tried that years and years ago and they said no.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1173 posts
590 upvotes
Calgary
calcugator wrote: I'm a bit confused, RBC noobie here.
If i book using my points at a rate of 100 pts = $1.00, does that mean I do not get 20% back in points?
I'm trying to book 2 tickets to asia but do not have enough points for both tickets, therefore I have to use the 100pts rate.

Also, does flying to one city and flying back from a different city not count as a roundtrip?

Thanks in advance!
Hi, let me answer your questions.

1. The 20% points back only applies to the flights that are booked under the Air Travel Redemption Schedule. You can refer to my 2nd post for the map and point requirement. What you mentioned (100pt for $1) is called flexible pricing. That's not included in this promotion.

2. If you have enough points to cover 50% of the cost, you will be able to purchase points to make air travel redemption. For instance, you want to fly from YUL to YYZ. According to the schedule, it requires 15k points. If you only have 10k points, you can purchase additional 5k points to make the redemption. I believe it's $40 per 1k points. If you only have 6k points, you can't purchase 9k points because 6k is less than 50% of the points required.

3. Yes you can fly open jar. For instance, you can fly from YYZ to YUL, then YOW to YYZ. As long as your return to your departure city.
baz5 wrote: Is that new? I tried that years and years ago and they said no.
I think it's been there for a while. But make sure check the maximum amount. It's pretty sweet if you use 100K points + $500 for a business ticket travel to Asia! You would save at least $1000.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7737 posts
1302 upvotes
Burnaby
Generally at these maximum ticket prices, premium economy is more realistic. Business usually costs one magnitude more in most cases. Also bear in mind RBC passes on fuel surcharges across all airlines. You know, those surcharges people complain about on Aeroplan? Yeah, those.

https://www.rbcrewards.com/#/faq#faq-section-travel

Can RBC Avion cardholders redeem for a first or business class seat?
Yes. There are three ways to redeem for first or business class seats.

Select either first class or business class before searching for flights. Then, redeem the required number of RBC Rewards points for the destination of your choice, up to the Maximum Ticket Price as indicated in the Air Travel Redemption Schedule. The Maximum Ticket Price excludes any applicable taxes, surcharges and fees. Finally, pay for the price difference between the Maximum Ticket Price and the total price of your first or business class ticket by redeeming your points at the rate of 100 points = $1.00 CAD.

For example:
Redeeming for a flight from Toronto to Vancouver from the Air Travel Redemption Schedule requires 35,000 points for a Maximum Ticket Price of $750 CAD. The Maximum Ticket Price excludes any applicable taxes, surcharges and fees. If the cost of the flight you select in business class is $1,000 CAD, you can pay for the price difference of $250 by redeeming 25,000 additional points (100 points = $1 CAD). In total, you would need to redeem 60,000 points.

OR

If you are an RBC Avion Visa Infinite Privilege for Private Banking, RBC Avion Visa Infinite Privilege, RBC Avion Visa Infinite Business or RBC Commercial Avion Visa cardholder, you can pay for the entire price of a first or business class ticket (including any applicable taxes, surcharges and fees) by redeeming your points at the rate of 100 points = $2.00 CAD.

For example:
If a flight from Toronto to Vancouver in first class costs $3,200 CAD (including any applicable taxes, surcharges and fees), you would need to redeem 160,000 RBC Rewards points (100 points = $2 CAD)

OR

Convert your RBC Rewards points to WestJet Rewards dollars or to British Airways Avios, American Airlines AAdvantage Miles or Cathay Pacific Asia Miles. Converting your RBC Rewards points gives you the flexibility to redeem for rewards and benefits these programs offer, including for first or business class seats. Once converted, points cannot be transferred or converted back to RBC Rewards points.
Jan 24, 2010
24 posts
29 upvotes
Mississauga
Does multiple destinations works

For example

YYZ-BNE
BNE-TPE
TPE-YYZ

Within one redemption?

Person With Folded Hands
Deal Fanatic