• May 29th, 2021 3:05 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6492 posts
2498 upvotes

RBC Sent Me A Card I Didn't Apply For

This is a weird one. Current RBC credit card holder, I applied for a new different credit card. Then I get called from a RBC branch far from home, saying my card is ready to be picked up. I tell them, I thought it was gonna be sent to my house, can you send it to my home. They send it to my home. Today in the mail I received 2 new RBC credit cards in 2 different envelopes. 1 is the proper 1 that I applied for. Other is from the far branch, & totally different card from the 1 I applied for (still RBC). The 1 from the branch looks like someone opened it & taped it back together.

I call RBC, they told me the address & phone number of the person who applied & asked if its mine. It does not match my info at all. Did this person give my address but asked them to send it to a different address? Because how do they allow him to create the account with a different address from mines? Possibly this person tried to get them to send it to his actual address but since it didn't matchup with my profile, they told him he has to pickup in branch & bring ID? RBC said their investigation team will call me. I checked my credit report & no new inquiries (I am pre-existing RBC credit card holder, so maybe they didn't need to do credit inquiry to give me new card?).

Does anyone have any advice?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2855 posts
2585 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
It sounds like you were the victim of identity theft.

The best thing you can do is allow RBC to do an investigation and get a copy of your credit report from both companies to see if anything weird is on it. Also, try to see if RBC can put a flag on your account to not allow any new accounts to be opened with your information.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7023 posts
3258 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Forget if it was Transunion or Equifax however one of them allows to put fraud/identity alert on file. Basically it says that any financial institution has to call you before issuing credit.

Not all FI take heed of alert however suggest to do anyways.

Searched for it, both have:

https://www.transunion.ca/assistance/fr ... -resources

https://www.consumer.equifax.ca/persona ... it-report/
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6492 posts
2498 upvotes
Thank you both very much for the help, greatly appreciated
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2437 posts
904 upvotes
Burnaby
Seems more like a branch mix-up. Mail sent to the branch often gets opened. Did that card you did not apply for have your name on it? Was the mail addressed to you or was the name incorrect but address correct?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1260 posts
1088 upvotes
Calgary
amplified wrote: Seems more like a branch mix-up. Mail sent to the branch often gets opened. Did that card you did not apply for have your name on it? Was the mail addressed to you or was the name incorrect but address correct?
Agreed, this doesn't sound like identity theft at all. It just sounds like a bank mistake.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6440 posts
2111 upvotes
BC
^ agree that while being cautious is certainly advisable these days, a bank mix-up seems the most logical explanation.

Too much of a coincidence that OP had applied for a new card just when a devious person was using his credentials.

More likely that a bank or cc employee somehow messed up. Let the bank's investigation team sort it out and own up to a gaffe.
Dec 22, 2007
971 posts
589 upvotes
Mississauga
HP_John wrote: This is a weird one. Current RBC credit card holder, I applied for a new different credit card. Then I get called from a RBC branch far from home, saying my card is ready to be picked up. I tell them, I thought it was gonna be sent to my house, can you send it to my home. They send it to my home. Today in the mail I received 2 new RBC credit cards in 2 different envelopes. 1 is the proper 1 that I applied for. Other is from the far branch, & totally different card from the 1 I applied for (still RBC). The 1 from the branch looks like someone opened it & taped it back together.

I call RBC, they told me the address & phone number of the person who applied & asked if its mine. It does not match my info at all. Did this person give my address but asked them to send it to a different address? Because how do they allow him to create the account with a different address from mines? Possibly this person tried to get them to send it to his actual address but since it didn't matchup with my profile, they told him he has to pickup in branch & bring ID? RBC said their investigation team will call me. I checked my credit report & no new inquiries (I am pre-existing RBC credit card holder, so maybe they didn't need to do credit inquiry to give me new card?).

Does anyone have any advice?
Wondering if the other card has your name on it? like others said probably some mix up. If its under your name they can pull the application and see how it was applied.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6492 posts
2498 upvotes
The other card does have my name on it too, the address listed inside the envelope was the branch address (meaning whomever applied asked for it to be sent to the branch I guess), not my home address. The RBC rep actually told me the address & phone number of the person who applied, I did not recognize the address or phone number. As a precaution, I went ahead to notify Equifax & Transunion, better to be safe than sorry. Thanks again for all the comments
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7023 posts
3258 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
HP_John wrote: The other card does have my name on it too, the address listed inside the envelope was the branch address (meaning whomever applied asked for it to be sent to the branch I guess), not my home address. The RBC rep actually told me the address & phone number of the person who applied, I did not recognize the address or phone number. As a precaution, I went ahead to notify Equifax & Transunion, better to be safe than sorry. Thanks again for all the comments
Perhaps report to police.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4072 posts
1387 upvotes
Durham Region
Wouldn't hurt to get in touch with RBC's security/fraud department and let them investigate.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6492 posts
2498 upvotes
RBC fraud dept called me, at 1st they said they think that I am a victim of fraud. Then they asked me what my birthday is, when I told them, they told me the person who applied for that card had a different bday, so its probably not fraud. Their final conclusion (after 1st telling me it was fraud), was that it was probably a mixup, likely at the branch level. This didn't leave me too confident in RBC fraud dept
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6022 posts
6257 upvotes
Toronto
HP_John wrote: RBC fraud dept called me, at 1st they said they think that I am a victim of fraud. Then they asked me what my birthday is, when I told them, they told me the person who applied for that card had a different bday, so its probably not fraud. Their final conclusion (after 1st telling me it was fraud), was that it was probably a mixup, likely at the branch level. This didn't leave me too confident in RBC fraud dept
How do you know they were legit? Maybe you just gave the fraudster your birth day ;)
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6492 posts
2498 upvotes
hoob wrote: How do you know they were legit? Maybe you just gave the fraudster your birth day ;)
I didn't pick up at 1st, they left a voicemail. I checked out that the number belonged to RBC before calling back. I also didn't give my birthday, they told me the birthday of the guy who applied, I said thats not my birthday
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1420 posts
436 upvotes
Brampton
HP_John wrote: RBC fraud dept called me, at 1st they said they think that I am a victim of fraud. Then they asked me what my birthday is, when I told them, they told me the person who applied for that card had a different bday, so its probably not fraud. Their final conclusion (after 1st telling me it was fraud), was that it was probably a mixup, likely at the branch level. This didn't leave me too confident in RBC fraud dept
Card had your name, sent to the branch(you don't know what the address of applicant is), applicant has a diff birthday. Is it possible branch has 2 customers with same name and they mistakenly called you instead of the other person?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6492 posts
2498 upvotes
dealerguy wrote: Card had your name, sent to the branch(you don't know what the address of applicant is), applicant has a diff birthday. Is it possible branch has 2 customers with same name and they mistakenly called you instead of the other person?
RBC on the phone told me the address of the person applying, so I guess it must've been 2 people with same exact name. I don't remember ever going to that RBC branch, though I guess its possible I could've opened my account there like 10-15 yrs ago (its in North York, I'm in Toronto, 20 min drive away)