• Feb 9th, 2021 4:33 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 1, 2008
765 posts
31 upvotes

RBC Visa Gold vs RBC Visa Platinum

I know there use to be a thread that talked about the grandfathered RBC Visa Gold, and at the time RBC was encouraging people to switch to the new Rewards+ card.

Looking at their website and their current offerings, from a coverage standpoint, is RBC Visa Platinum the comparably equivalent or better than the Gold? I think the only advantage the Gold had was the Rewards which the platinum does not have. Is the platinum's coverage fairly standard for a typical platinum visa, or is there anything noteworthy about the RBC's platinum?

Thanks,
13 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10605 posts
12796 upvotes
Vancouver
RBC Platinum is a garbage card with no rewards. The only good thing about it is it includes auto rental CDW. That makes it a decent choice to have in a portfolio of no-fee cards that each provide different benefits. Otherwise don't give it a second thought. "Platinum" is now a completely meaningless term in the credit card world (other than with Amex).
[OP]
Feb 1, 2008
765 posts
31 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: RBC Platinum is a garbage card with no rewards. The only good thing about it is it includes auto rental CDW. That makes it a decent choice to have in a portfolio of no-fee cards that each provide different benefits. Otherwise don't give it a second thought. "Platinum" is now a completely meaningless term in the credit card world (other than with Amex).
i dont disagree that the card is fairly basic when it comes to benefits. i think the better question would be if it's even worth to switch from the gold to platinum, or just to keep the gold at this point? right now this card is my secondary/tertiary card and seldom used. While the primary card(s) get all the spotlight on everyday rewards/benefits, every so often I would wonder if even for these seldom used cards if there was anything comparable that could be better. Just a thought, i do need need to keep an RBC card for the multiproduct rebate.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3932 posts
1180 upvotes
Durham Region
dubjk wrote: i dont disagree that the card is fairly basic when it comes to benefits. i think the better question would be if it's even worth to switch from the gold to platinum, or just to keep the gold at this point? right now this card is my secondary/tertiary card and seldom used. While the primary card(s) get all the spotlight on everyday rewards/benefits, every so often I would wonder if even for these seldom used cards if there was anything comparable that could be better. Just a thought, i do need need to keep an RBC card for the multiproduct rebate.
I have an RBC card solely for multiproduct rebate, the one merchant I use it at to keep alive is Petro Canada to stack with 3 cent discount, so I switched to the RBC Rewards+ card and am slowly accumulating points though doubt I'll ever have enough to redeem.

Platinum might not be a bad idea if you want to have access to a card with primary CDW insurance. I did file a claim with RBC Visa years ago and it was painless. Many of the free cards that offer CDW insurance, particularly Mastercards, only offer secondary insurance which is far less desirable.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1367 posts
424 upvotes
dubjk wrote: i dont disagree that the card is fairly basic when it comes to benefits. i think the better question would be if it's even worth to switch from the gold to platinum, or just to keep the gold at this point? right now this card is my secondary/tertiary card and seldom used. While the primary card(s) get all the spotlight on everyday rewards/benefits, every so often I would wonder if even for these seldom used cards if there was anything comparable that could be better. Just a thought, i do need need to keep an RBC card for the multiproduct rebate.
Platinum card is not a card they can be used for the multiproduct rebate.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3932 posts
1180 upvotes
Durham Region
Kiraly wrote: Say what?
Read the certificate of insurance. Some CDW/LDW policies are secondary - so if you have a rider for non-owned vehicles under your personal policy you must claim that first. An example is the Rogers World Elite CDW/LDW policy, which has the following language:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This certificate of insurance contains a clause which may limit the amount payable. Coverage
under this certificate of insurance is secondary to any other coverage you may have, but becomes primary in cases where
there is no other applicable coverage.
Many other cards don't have that language. Not personally aware of any VISA cards that are secondary, but one might exist. I also checked PC World MasterCard and Triangle World Mastercard and neither has it.

Of course if you don't have a personal car insurance policy or yours doesn't cover non-owned vehicles, the distinction is irrelevant.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4306 posts
841 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
It accumulates no rewards so I would keep the gold.
wra45mon wrote: Platinum card is not a card they can be used for the multiproduct rebate.
Really? Does it say that anywhere? I thought the only restriction was it has to be active, and maybe not a business CC.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5926 posts
6123 upvotes
Toronto
RBC Platinum is the card I keep stashed hidden in the car, for use in case of emergencies. It doesn't support tap/contactless so needs a PIN to be used.

I droped down to it at the lowest allowable crdeit limit, when I cancelled Avion as part of abandoning everything RBC that cost me anything.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
Nov 19, 2014
225 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto, ON
CorSter wrote: I have an RBC card solely for multiproduct rebate, the one merchant I use it at to keep alive is Petro Canada to stack with 3 cent discount, so I switched to the RBC Rewards+ card and am slowly accumulating points though doubt I'll ever have enough to redeem.

Platinum might not be a bad idea if you want to have access to a card with primary CDW insurance. I did file a claim with RBC Visa years ago and it was painless. Many of the free cards that offer CDW insurance, particularly Mastercards, only offer secondary insurance which is far less desirable.
I used to do this with my RBC card but then I noticed that Petro Can is regularly more than 3 cents more expensive than many other gas stations.

Basically, RBC is ass in every considerable measure.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3932 posts
1180 upvotes
Durham Region
dmxlite wrote: Ah you're right. I expanded the eligible products list and mistaken the platinum card with another.
The eligible products list is just examples. The legalese says "A no annual-fee RBC Royal Bank Credit Card with at least one transaction (purchase, balance transfer, cash advance or interest charged to the account) within the last 90 days."

Just like how an RBC TFSA with $500 balance is an eligible "investment" but doesn't show up on the list.