• Jun 21st, 2018 8:36 am
Tags:
None
24 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1982 posts
794 upvotes
Nice. It’s now a matter of time until an Ampli credit card is issued by RBC.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9455 posts
10731 upvotes
The Prairies
mbmbkop wrote: Nice. It’s now a matter of time until an Ampli credit card is issued by RBC.
And hopefully this will be a good thing, not a bad thing, for us current WJMC cardholders.
Dec 20, 2017
816 posts
976 upvotes
I have a feeling the WJ WEMC will be converted over to the new card when it launches.
💳 Collected: RBC VIP for Private Banking, TD VIP, BMO VIP, HSBC Premier WE MC, Amex PP, Amex BP, Amex BG, Amex Cobalt, BMO WE MC, CDC Indigo
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9455 posts
10731 upvotes
The Prairies
Delight wrote: I have a feeling the WJ WEMC will be converted over to the new card when it launches.
That’s fine, as long as they leave the companion fare and free baggage in tact.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1357 posts
1183 upvotes
What a terrible name...Fingers crossed the new program/card will be good though.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
9896 posts
3142 upvotes
multi city dweller
CanadianSpruce wrote: What a terrible name...Fingers crossed the new program/card will be good though.
they were about to choose "SCAMPLI" ... i convinced them to cut the "SC" out to make it sound more acceptable ...
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1739 posts
954 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
At least it's not Amplii.
You need someone with an umbrella not a fork
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2017
1176 posts
2100 upvotes
The interesting thing will be if this new WestJet/RBC program allows for business class international awards, at a better redemption rate than using WestJet dollars, now that WestJet has wide body aircraft serving Europe. Aeroplan does offer this (pre 2020 AC split) which is why many people like it. If these new programs only offer points towards standard seats like Avion, or only offer the use of WestJet dollars type currency to be used towards the purchase of expensive business class seats, then all those who pick airline programs over cash back cards to get business class seats will end up using whatever new program Air Canada launches (assuming it allows this business class deal option).

AC YYZ-CDG return in September: Business Class (unrestricted): $7,900.
Economy class (best AC price): $975.

Aeroplan points for economy: 60k + hundreds in taxes and fees
for business: 110k + even more taxes and fees

Now there are no business class Aeroplan redemption seats still available on the flight (I checked for this exercise) of course...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9296 posts
1647 upvotes
TO
VH99 wrote: they were about to choose "SCAMPLI" ... i convinced them to cut the "SC" out to make it sound more acceptable ...
LOL didn't they initially name it 'Fugli' :)
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Feb 5, 2017
426 posts
469 upvotes
Vancouver
Since it is travel related, hoping they would consider making no forex fee a feature *fingers crossed
[OP]
Jun 15, 2017
464 posts
190 upvotes
I wonder which other companies will be involved with Ampli? Perhaps other credit card companies will issue Ampli cards enabling people to have more options to earn WJ "travel points" ? Hopefully WestJet will join an airline alliance enabling this new program to be much more beneficial than their present loyalty program.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
2388 posts
1010 upvotes
HermanH wrote: The interesting thing will be if this new WestJet/RBC program allows for business class international awards, at a better redemption rate than using WestJet dollars, now that WestJet has wide body aircraft serving Europe. Aeroplan does offer this (pre 2020 AC split) which is why many people like it. If these new programs only offer points towards standard seats like Avion, or only offer the use of WestJet dollars type currency to be used towards the purchase of expensive business class seats, then all those who pick airline programs over cash back cards to get business class seats will end up using whatever new program Air Canada launches (assuming it allows this business class deal option).

AC YYZ-CDG return in September: Business Class (unrestricted): $7,900.
Economy class (best AC price): $975.

Aeroplan points for economy: 60k + hundreds in taxes and fees
for business: 110k + even more taxes and fees

Now there are no business class Aeroplan redemption seats still available on the flight (I checked for this exercise) of course...
The only business class seats Westjet is going to have will be with their new 787 Dreamliner starting in 2019. They are supposed to be getting 10 of those initially but who knows how long it'll take to get all those delivered. Right now all they have for their flights to Paris/London is "Plus", which is essentially premium economy and nothing special. Transatlantic economy sucks on Westjet, they don't even include a meal... good thing the ticket price is cheap.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2017
1176 posts
2100 upvotes
cbt123 wrote: The only business class seats Westjet is going to have will be with their new 787 Dreamliner starting in 2019. They are supposed to be getting 10 of those initially but who knows how long it'll take to get all those delivered. Right now all they have for their flights to Paris/London is "Plus", which is essentially premium economy and nothing special. Transatlantic economy sucks on Westjet, they don't even include a meal... good thing the ticket price is cheap.
I read a piece today that basically implied that the new RBC/WestJet program will not be about business class seats but will just be ways to 'amplify' earn of more WestJet dollars via shopping with a RBC card at specific merchants/buying of specific products at specific merchants.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
6574 posts
5289 upvotes
HermanH wrote: I read a piece today that basically implied that the new RBC/WestJet program will not be about business class seats but will just be ways to 'amplify' earn of more WestJet dollars via shopping with a RBC card at specific merchants/buying of specific products at specific merchants.
So WJWE is not going to be re-branded to Ampli WE?
Amex Cobalt - MBNA RWE - Brim WE
Amex Platinum - Bonvoy Brilliant Amex - CIBC Aeroplan VIP
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3063 posts
2907 upvotes
Guelph
EdisonL299 wrote: So WJWE is not going to be re-branded to Ampli WE?
Hmm maybe so, but if they’re going to do a new rewards program they should at least have a branded card.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2017
1176 posts
2100 upvotes
Excerpts from Rewards Canada:

RBC and WestJet announced a new partnership between the two companies yesterday via a new loyalty platform called Ampli. Of course the two companies already have an existing relationship and this program will go beyond that. The program, Ampli (a play on Amplify) is set to launch later this year. The digitally based program will have merchant offers, bonuses and options to use those rewards via their participating merchants and "members who spend on RBC cards and fly with WestJet will further amplify their rewards"

I have a feeling they aren't out to sell points like their main competitors - rather it's about collecting data, amplifying their own programs and keeping consumers within their circles with this additional marketing platform. We also know that they are out to capture the Aeroplan and AIR MILES disgruntees (not a real word but one I'll invent today) as can be gleaned directly from interviews with WestJet's Ed Sims and other media mentions. Overall it seems to be a hybrid of a coalition program (a mini-coalition program as we call them now, SCENE, Triangle etc.), an app based program (think Drop) and perhaps they'll go the blockchain way like Amex is doing.

Do we need another program in Canada? No, not really but the reality is we are seeing the evolution of our market move from the several big players to the many smaller ones. Does it saturate our market? You bet it does. Will all the programs survive? Probably not. Will Canadians join them all? Yes they will, we like to be part of the all.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6423 posts
4630 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: Anyone seriously thinks this will be advantageous for consumers? Dream on. This is RBC after all, the king of penny pinching with TD. They don't have a single card that is even worth a second look.
The WestJet card is pretty good if you ask me.
I use it for gas to get 3c off plus the companion fare.

The companion fare alone is worth the $120 fee.