Boxing Day Discussion Archive

RCA 55" 4k vs KU6290 - is the difference in price worth the difference in quality?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2016 10:52 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2009
2292 posts
961 upvotes

RCA 55" 4k vs KU6290 - is the difference in price worth the difference in quality?

What the title says. I assumed the RCA would be sold out by now. It isn't. Ordered the Sammy but am wondering if the 500 dollar difference truly justifies the improvement in quality.

Thoughts?
8 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
It's not just the picture quality, but also the quality in general. Samsung > RCA
Aug 20, 2009
261 posts
90 upvotes
Hamilton
why would anyone ever buy these budget brands... its like throwing your money in the toilet
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
Its all depends on your budget... there really is no comparison because Samsung is a top brand while RCA is basically a budget/chinese/cheap brand (however you want to call it)

If you buy a Samsung TV, you expect it to last beyond its warranty meaning you'll be using it for years. You expect a certain level of picture quality and if there was any manufacturing defect, you expect Samsung to fix it.

If you buy a RCA, you pretty much have the stores return policy as your warranty period. You probably will run into issues if you try to claim warranty (unless its Costco but they don't sell RCAs) and odds are you probably don't expect it to last as long as a name brand (Samsung, Sony, etc). You do save money and realistically your mind set should be if it breaks, i saved enough money to buy another set (in the future) that is likely better than the Samsung set i could've bought now (with the money difference). Or the theory that 2 TVs will last longer than one because honestly Samsung will cost you 2x as much. Expectation for picture quality should also be lower because if a RCA has better picture quality than a Samsung, it wouldn't be priced so low.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
jbredflag wrote: why would anyone ever buy these budget brands... its like throwing your money in the toilet
Have you seen the Haier 65/55 Costco thread?

Personally I wouldn't buy one thought, got myself a 65 Samsung for 1599
Feb 19, 2008
58 posts
9 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
I was realistically expecting to get a cheap 32" for minimal use, but I decided to instead get the RCA 55", and move my smaller (46" 1080P) Sony to the room that I was going to put the 32" in. I may still return it in favour of a cheaper 32", but I haven't decided yet. I haven't tweaked the RCA or done too much with it yet, but I don't really have any complaints with respect to the image quality. It has a 1 year warranty which isn't great, but next year I could go for a nicer one, so I'm not too concerned.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2014
5433 posts
3907 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Nositi wrote: I was realistically expecting to get a cheap 32" for minimal use, but I decided to instead get the RCA 55", and move my smaller (46" 1080P) Sony to the room that I was going to put the 32" in. I may still return it in favour of a cheaper 32", but I haven't decided yet. I haven't tweaked the RCA or done too much with it yet, but I don't really have any complaints with respect to the image quality. It has a 1 year warranty which isn't great, but next year I could go for a nicer one, so I'm not too concerned.
you got the RCA just for 1 year? Look up "false economy"
Feb 19, 2008
58 posts
9 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
Elfwood wrote: you got the RCA just for 1 year? Look up "false economy"
Look up "putting words in someone's mouth".